Engineering a Better Broadhead for Elk

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After losing a bull elk when a broadhead failed to penetrate past the shoulder blade, I spent 7 years engineering a better broadhead. I tell this story and the lessons learned on a recent episode of the Gritty Bowmen. I think many of you would find it interesting and it may change what you think is important in a broadhead. Here is a link to the YouTube video or you can download the audio podcast on Itunes (episode 324). Let me know what you think.

EPISODE 324: Iron Will Broadheads with Bill Vanderheyden - YouTube

After losing a bull elk when a broadhead failed to penetrate past the shoulder blade, I spent 7 years engineering a better broadhead. I tell this story and the lessons learned on a recent episode of the Gritty Bowmen. I think many of you would find it interesting and it may change what you think is important in a broadhead. Here is a link to the YouTube video or you can download the audio podcast on Itunes (episode 324). Let me know what you think.

EPISODE 324: Iron Will Broadheads with Bill Vanderheyden - YouTube
Glad there's a non vented blade. I'll be hitting the mountains with my own.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are you sure it was just the "shoulder blade" that was hit? I put a Shuttle T through the lower part of both shoulder blades on a bull one year. Ya, I'm shooting a 500+ grain arrow at a pretty decent clip with my 32 1/2" draw, but I'm not so sure the shoulder blades themselves are the problem. Elk ribs are thicker than most of the shoulder blade on an elk. I've also hit the knuckle (where the blade connects to the humerus bone) and gotten no penetration. I don't know of any BH that's going to get through the knuckle.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you sure it was just the "shoulder blade" that was hit? I put a Shuttle T through the lower part of both shoulder blades on a bull one year. Ya, I'm shooting a 500+ grain arrow at a pretty decent clip with my 32 1/2" draw, but I'm not so sure the shoulder blades themselves are the problem. Elk ribs are thicker than most of the shoulder blade on an elk. I've also hit the knuckle (where the blade connects to the humerus bone) and gotten no penetration. I don't know of any BH that's going to get through the knuckle.

I'm guessing it really doesn't matter what was hit, if the penetration failed. Either way it launched engineering into a pretty bad ass new head.

Trial153

WKR
if a head doesnt remain intact its worthless. With that in mind that is were a high quaity head like IW earns their keep. these are soild heads. I have a pair that probbly been shot 200 times into a blob target and its also been through a deer. its still sharp and sound. i wouldnt think twice about touching it up and using it on any game.

RyanCmns

WKR
I thought it was very interesting! I've got some vented heads they fly very good! Now I'm thinking about getting some non vented heads! Any chance of coming out with a single bevel head?

I was listening that episode when I logged on here just now. Very cool episode and cool to hear you talk about the manufacturing of it. Would you mind disclosing the other steels you tried? I have been tossing around the idea of making some from S30v that we have left over from our knife steel.

cnelk

WKR
When I run out of my current BHs, Im going to switch to IW [ and aim for the knuckle just for 5 Mi :)]

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I never recovered the bull to know for sure. My best guess is that it hit in the lower, thicker part of the shoulder bone but above the knuckle. We had a guy make a similar shot on a huge Yukon moose this year and sent us the following message:

"My shot was a bit low and I hit shoulder. I might not have recovered him if I wasn't using your head. It completely blew apart the shoulder joint and kept going with almost no damage to the head itself. Just needs a little sharpening and I'll be taking it back out for deer season."

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I thought it was very interesting! I've got some vented heads they fly very good! Now I'm thinking about getting some non vented heads! Any chance of coming out with a single bevel head?

I have researched, designed, analyzed, and tested single bevel broadheads. I think a double bevel gives you a better combination of edge sharpness/retention, durability, and penetration. I can go into more detail if you want.

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was listening that episode when I logged on here just now. Very cool episode and cool to hear you talk about the manufacturing of it. Would you mind disclosing the other steels you tried? I have been tossing around the idea of making some from S30v that we have left over from our knife steel.

I've tried 420SS, 440SS, ATS34(154CM), S7, and then settled on A2. Check out the charts on our website comparing S30V to A2.
Features — Iron Will Outfitters

RyanCmns

WKR
I have researched, designed, analyzed, and tested single bevel broadheads. I think a double bevel gives you a better combination of edge sharpness/retention, durability, and penetration. I can go into more detail if you want.

Your the engineer not me! Hahaha I was just curious if you had thought about making one from the sound of it you have! I imagine edge retention would be a pain I just know every single bevel I've had is scary sharp!

bwlacy

WKR
With the hardness up near 60 Rockwell how do you sharpen these at home? Is there a stone you recommend? A file probably won't scratch them.

Do you grind them after heat treat to get them to spin well? Just some random thoughts.

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With the hardness up near 60 Rockwell how do you sharpen these at home? Is there a stone you recommend? A file probably won't scratch them.

Do you grind them after heat treat to get them to spin well? Just some random thoughts.

I use flat stones to resharpen and it's not difficult. Check out the videos on our YouTube channel showing how to touch up and thoroughly resharpen the broadheads:

How to Quickly Sharpen Broadheads - YouTube
How to Thoroughly Sharpen Iron Will Outfitters Broadheads - YouTube

All these podcasts are nothing more than informercials these days. Funny what the market brings. Pimps in full bloom all over the. Net

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All these podcasts are nothing more than informercials these days. Funny what the market brings. Pimps in full bloom all over the. Net

If you are implying that this Gritty Bowmen podcast is a paid advertisement, I assure you that it is not. I haven't paid him a dime. Brian had bad experiences with a couple broadheads last year and wanted to learn more about the engineering behind Iron Will Broadheads.