6.5 PRC for Elk - A colorful chart.

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I started bow hunting later in life and only recently started rifle hunting. I am building a semi-custom Tikka for mule deer and occasionally elk. My sample size of shooting big game is small, so I consumed a lot of information when deciding what cartridge to chamber my rifle in. I initially wanted a 7 PRC but ultimately decided on a 6.5 PRC after buying into the smaller caliber trend on Rokslide. The planned 7 PRC build would have about 40% more recoil than the 6.5 PRC build. However, while I am waiting for my barreled action, years of reading classic gun writers, listening to various hunting podcasts and anecdotal stories from elk hunters still left some doubt in my mind about whether I chose the right cartridge. The 6.5 PRC for elk debate has yielded some strong opinions on here. Even the Hornady Podcast hosts used more favorable language when discussing using the 280 Rem and the 280 A.I. for elk in a recent episode than they did the 6.5 PRC in the “Choosing a PRC cartridge” episode. So, for my own edification, I chose various calibers that don’t seem to elicit such strong negative reactions when mentioned for use on elk and compared them to the 6.5 PRC. Before someone points it out, I am aware I did not include the 7PRC or 300WM in the chart. They are great cartridges and would have faired well in the comparison.

The below chart lists the various calibers all using ELDX bullets at 200 and 600 yards with factory muzzle velocities calculated at 4,000 ft elevation, at 45 degrees and 50% humidity using the 4DOF app. I included energy for the old timers and to add a little spice to the comments. Excel color coded the stats to make the numbers more consumable. Additionally, 6.5 PRC loses in bullet weight and frontal diameter, but has the highest sectional density of the bullets listed.

The below chart is left without comment to aid people in similar situations. The numbers helped me feel better about my decision. Of course, I was into baseball cards as a kid and loved the statistics on the backs. If you were more of a comic book kid and like pictures, the 6.5 for everything thread should give you what you are looking for.

1711084076474.png

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
No replacement for displacement.

I'm a fan of 7mm 180 hybrids or ELDMs for a great do all rifle.

The 6.5 will no doubt do it but there's no such thing as too dead.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely did a ton of research here and elsewhere and still chose eldx. What was your reasoning for that?

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
The ELDX choice was just an easy way to compare apples to apples. All of these cartridges were offered with factory ELDX loads with listed factory muzzle velocities to compare each other with. If I started mixing bullets, the objections would have been endless.

I load the 156 EOL for my brother’s 6.5 PRC.

MV 2932, bc .679

He hasn’t killed anything with it yet but that will change this November.

200 yard velocity 2696

600 yard velocity 2258

It’s all about placement, though, I know a guy who shot at a bull 11 times (my brother insists that he counted 13) with his custom-built 6.5 PRC at close to 1,100 yards. He thought he could shoot that far and I guess he could, the bull died. Ass, guts, misses, lungs, more ass, finally the poor thing tipped over.

P

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I load the 156 EOL for my brother’s 6.5 PRC.

MV 2932, bc .679

He hasn’t killed anything with it yet but that will change this November.

200 yard velocity 2696

600 yard velocity 2258

It’s all about placement, though, I know a guy who shot at a bull 11 times (my brother insists that he counted 13) with his custom-built 6.5 PRC at close to 1,100 yards. He thought he could shoot that far and I guess he could, the bull died. Ass, guts, misses, lungs, more ass, finally the poor thing tipped over.

P
First off, I need a brother like you. Second, I’m not shooting anything at that distance.

First off, I need a brother like you. Second, I’m not shooting anything at that distance.

Yeah, I ain’t loading for anyone from U Dub, even if he were my brother.

But, he’s definitely smarter than I am. I’m the ammo source for the family. .223, 7mm-08, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, in addition to the PRC.

I said no to feeding his AR.

P