Buying different species tags for elk hunt...bad idea?

nrh6.7

WKR
My first time applying in Wyoming and drew two elk tags in units that are within a couple hours of each other. Didn't really intend for this to happen but it did and now I'm trying to maximize my time while I'm there.

I am thinking about applying for a doe/fawn antelope tag in a close by unit that has pretty decent odds. Is this a crazy idea for someone already holding two other tags? The only reason I'm even considering this is because doe tags don't seem to be too difficult to fill from what I've read. Plus, I'm already there and the tag is only $49.

I have up to three weeks to make it all happen but would like to be done in two. Also considering going early to hunt with a bow.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

topher89

WKR
For that price, go for it. Considering the whole cost of a trip, $50 isn't that much.

Decide which tags mean the most to you and focus on them. If you have time, give antelope a shot but if not, its only $50.

I look at extra species tags as a way to keep me from coming home. It really sucks to be tagged out two days into a two week hunt after driving 20 hours.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I dont see any downside to it, if you have the cooler space why not ..

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I guess it depends what your goal is for the elk tags, and can you get doe antelope tags on the fly once you're here? When I have a decent elk tag, that's my entire focus and I'll hunt most the season in order to maximize opportunities on the bull I want. Anything outside of that is a distraction for the most part. However, I have been known to hit a river or streams for some fly fishing earlier in the season.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Thank you to everyone for your input. I think I'm going to put in for a reduced fee tag after all. If I draw great, and if not maybe I can pick up a leftover while I'm there if that's an option.

Fitzwho

WKR
Also gives you a little "out" if the elk hunting is rough and has you beat down in the first week. Take 2-3 days to chase a doe, get that done and get back after the elk with the proverbial skunk washed off.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the change of scenery when things get tough. Changing things up even for part of a day can do wonders for your mental state on a long hard elk hunt.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Ok, so I've put in for two RP antelope tags on the same application. I just read somewhere that I will either get both or none, can anyone confirm this please? If so, have I reduced my chances of getting at least one, and should I amend my app to only one RP tag, then submit another for the second?

Thanks! Need to get this sorted out pretty quick.

wapitibob

WKR
Ok, so I've put in for two RP antelope tags on the same application. I just read somewhere that I will either get both or none, can anyone confirm this please? If so, have I reduced my chances of getting at least one, and should I amend my app to only one RP tag, then submit another for the second?

Thanks! Need to get this sorted out pretty quick.

you will get both or none

I am not be able to change the qty to 1, from 2, but I'm in a party. It may be different for an individual app.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
you will get both or none

I am not be able to change the qty to 1, from 2, but I'm in a party. It may be different for an individual app.

I just spoke to a lady at WGFD and she said I could draw 0, 1 or 2 tags. She said it wasn't an all or nothing situation. Are you sure the RP tags are both or none? Not second guessing you, but wanted to make sure about the process. Thx

cnelk

WKR
It’s never a good idea to go against WapitiBob judgement...
But... :)

I also put in for 2 RP Doe/fawn tags.

Application 1 has a 1st choice & 2nd choice - I may get 1 tag or nothing
Application 2 has a 1st choice & 2nd choice - I may get 1 tag or nothing

So in essence, I may get 0 tags (god forbid)
1 tag or 2 tags

Good luck

wapitibob

WKR
If you chose a qnty of 2, you will not draw just 1 because you have a single app within the system. Cnelk has 2 individual apps in the system with two different random numbers.
As mention, you may be able to remove one of the licenses then create another app but, I was not able to do that. But I'm a party leader and it may be different for an individual. It'll only take you a cpl minutes to try it and see.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
If you chose a qnty of 2, you will not draw just 1 because you have a single app within the system. Cnelk has 2 individual apps in the system with two different random numbers.
As mention, you may be able to remove one of the licenses then create another app but, I was not able to do that. But I'm a party leader and it may be different for an individual. It'll only take you a cpl minutes to try it and see.

The page I completed had two sections that I had to complete, one for each first and second choice. Today I looked at my account and there were two entries for RP antelope tags. I clicked on each one and they both gave the option to cancel, but I would've had to forfeit the $15 app fee. I think these may be two seperate applications. Thoughts?

robie

WKR
I would take a doe antelope tag anytime I could get one if already in WY. Enjoy the hunt.

A doe antelope could be as easy as pulling off the side of the road, jumping out and shooting one. Or you could drive around the unit some and learn it and shoot one. The killing won't be the difficult part.