Carrying a muzzleloader after notching your tag?

I drew a muzzleloader cow tag for CO and will be going with guys that are bow hunting. Since we don’t plan on carrying a pistol, I’m wondering about the legality of continuing to carry a loaded muzzleloader for protection (2 or 4 legged) if I happen to fill my tag early.

The regs state that it’s illegal to carry a rifle during bow season, which could be argued to be the case if they count a muzzleloader as a rifle (which they seem to), and while muzzleloader season may still be open I’m not sure if it counts without having another tag to fill.

In all likelihood I’ll dump the muzzleloader at the truck in a locked case when we take the meat out, but I figured I’d ask if we run across something that would make me want to keep carrying it.

Appreciate any feedback.

cnelk

WKR
Prob not a good idea.

If I remember correctly, you cant carry a 'long gun' greater than a 22 cal once your tag is filled.

Send the CPW an email and ask

Good luck

muddydogs

WKR
I would be really surprised if you couldn't. Not sure about CO but I know Utah says this or that about carrying a firearm during hunting season then they throw in unless theirs something legal to shoot. Well coyotes are always legal to shot so I filled my elk tag and now I'm coyote hunting.

I just read an article about an increase in trail head break ins, I wouldn't leave a firearm in my vehicle for a day + while I was on the mountain camping, might get back to the truck to find the firearm gone and your window broken.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Carrying the ML back to camp/truck after the kill........sure. Carrying the ML around for a week after with your bow buddies......I don't think so.

Do like cnelk said and go to the source (CPW). You don't need to have a trip end badly because some guy on a forum said you were good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious as to why not just carry a pistol. I see very few instances where a ML would be better suited for some sort of self defense then a hand gun. A handgun would also be much light and easier to carry. Legally I don't think it would probably be a good idea but even if you could I don't understand why you would, but to each their own.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Seems like the single shot of a muzzleloader would be a sorry choice for protection against 2 or 4 legged threats.

Beendare

WKR
Carrying the ML back to camp/truck after the kill........sure. Carrying the ML around for a week after with your bow buddies......I don't think so.

Guys have been arrowed for doing that....just saying

and don't expect your quad tires to be aired up when you get back /grin

OP
G
Thanks guys, I will send them an email. It might make the most sense to just leave the muzzleloader in camp without a primer in it while we’re away.

I don’t want to carry a pistol because of the extra weight, unless I get lucky early I’ll be packing the muzzleloader anyways, and I’m not going to leave one of my pistols in the truck to swap out with the muzzleloader if we haul meat out.

I’m not particularly worried about self-defense out there unless we run into something like a bear messing with our camp once meat is there or somebody trashy lurking around.

Actually drew a bear tag in addition to my elk tag as a backup plan, but at $350 on top of the $500 elk tag I’m returning it.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I miss understood your post. I was thinking you were hunting from a base camp now I see that you are backpack hunting so your question makes more sense.

204guy

WKR
I cannot in anyway wrap my head around the idea that because you either purchase an archery tag or you fill your muzzleloader tag you are now stripped of your 2nd amendment rights if you want to continue to be in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
It's just as legal as carrying a pistol, a firearm is a firearm is a firearm! You won't need it though and I'd rather carry Bear spray!

CoHiCntry

WKR
You better re-read those regs.

They like to say things in those regs that aren't exactly the "LAW". They can say whatever they want. Don't think they can stop anyone who isn't engaged in hunting from carrying a firearm on public land. They like to make you think they can though...

rayporter

WKR
I have carried my rifle on horse back before season and been checked. he had no problem with us or the rifles [which were empty-he took our word on that]
I also carry my rifle in the scabbard after I kill and have been observed with said rifle but not checked.

on foot it may attract attention.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They like to say things in those regs that aren't exactly the "LAW". They can say whatever they want. Don't think they can stop anyone who isn't engaged in hunting from carrying a firearm on public land. They like to make you think they can though...

True but I find it best to NOT put myself in a situation (or a game warden in a situation) where there is too much ambiguity or interpretation of the law. Even if you asked 10 different officers, you'd get different answers to every law or question.