Muzzleloader vs. First Rifle Elk Hunting

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the units I’m interested in have worse draw odds for ML. I assume it’s because it’s in the rut and the weather is better.

This year I’m going to apply for a 1st rifle hunt in a unit where I wouldn’t have enough points for a ML hunt. I’ve never rifle hunted Colorado but I do know that September can be crazy busy. Either way it’s a gamble but that’s what makes it fun.
Yeah that’s what I am seeing in most units I am looking at. Deciphering the draw odds has been an undertaking in itself.

At the end of the day, that’s all I want. Go out, have fun and at least start building up more experience elk hunting in general, and learning a unit better.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Better chance of seeing/hearing elk - muzzleloader
Better chance of harvesting - first rifle

Muzzleloader would likely be a better hunt from an experience standpoint if you are willing to work hard to find the elk and get into a rutting situation. First rifle gives you a pretty good chance of filling the tag if you can find the elk. Both options are low percentage though in a 0-1 point unit. Plan on tag soup and enjoy the experience.
That is where I am at too. I would love to do muzzleloader for what the experience could be. However, from my lack of experience, I feel like having that extra 100-200 yards would pay me huge dividends if I were to actually locate any. Like I mentioned earlier, with iron sights, I wouldn’t feel very comfortable shooting more than 100-120 or so. Finding elk would be such a huge accomplishment for me that I want to be able to take a shot at 200-300 if need be.

180ls1

WKR
Yeah that’s what I am seeing in most units I am looking at. Deciphering the draw odds has been an undertaking in itself.

At the end of the day, that’s all I want. Go out, have fun and at least start building up more experience elk hunting in general, and learning a unit better.

Draw odds are a generally good proxy of how the hunt should be. If they are close its down to your preference.

"No solutions, only tradeoffs"

Reactions: RB1

TaperPin

WKR
The main difference is a muzzleloader has far worse odds of actually bringing an animal home.

If you want to connect with an elk get a rifle tag, if you want to draw a license, in almost every case in every state these are easier to get because it’s hard to punch the tag.

If you’ve never hunted an area and lack local knowledge of the area your odds are 5x worse. If you don’t have elk figured out in general at the time of year the hunt takes place you’re odds are 5x worse. Odd multiply, so my rough guess is you’re 25x less likely to connect with an elk than an experienced guy who’s hunted the same spot for 10 years. I’m sure some guys do it, but of the dozen guys I personally know that have hunted muzzleloader seasons, none of them have connected.

Personally, if I were in your shoes and had to hunt muzzleloader season, I’d start practicing offhand shooting and still hunting timber. There’s no law that says you can’t get into the trees and practice sneaking up on elk - a few weeks of this is as valuable as 3 hunting seasons. Even if elk are vocal, the skills you’ll learn sneaking through the timber are valuable. If elk are tight lipped there aren’t many other options. Still hunting isn’t for everyone, and it’s rarely even talked about.

taskswap

WKR
If hunting first rifle and your plan is high in elevation make sure to have a plan B lower down in your pocket. Every few years will have heavy snow up high and push elk out.
This happened just this past season. I was out in Rifle 1, and the Thursday before the opener a huge storm rolled in and dropped 14" of snow where I was. I was post-holing like crazy hiking around Sat morning and all I had was tracks, no animals. Luckily as you mention here I had a Plan B and by Sunday I had moved down about 2000' and was seeing elk again. Crucial advice.

Also, snow will push elk down, but they won't necessarily "stay down" for the rest of the season. Plenty of times I've seen them move down due to weather and pressure then come back UP a few days later, as the weekend hunters go home and snow melts. This also happened to me last season - by Tuesday all the tracks were headed back uphill.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This happened just this past season. I was out in Rifle 1, and the Thursday before the opener a huge storm rolled in and dropped 14" of snow where I was. I was post-holing like crazy hiking around Sat morning and all I had was tracks, no animals. Luckily as you mention here I had a Plan B and by Sunday I had moved down about 2000' and was seeing elk again. Crucial advice.

Also, snow will push elk down, but they won't necessarily "stay down" for the rest of the season. Plenty of times I've seen them move down due to weather and pressure then come back UP a few days later, as the weekend hunters go home and snow melts. This also happened to me last season - by Tuesday all the tracks were headed back uphill.
Yeah they'll move based on the snow. Some snow won't always push them either. But if you are overlooking a basin with fresh snow and see NO tracks in it, which is pretty obvious in optics at times, that is a pretty solid hint they ain't there anymore (for the time being ;) ).

Hnthrdr

WKR
These questions are tough, muzzleloader; better weather, much better odds of rut happening, 1st rifle often will encompass some rut action, but it also might not, elk could still be very much in the thick timber so your shots can often be 1
80 yards and in… it is just so dependent on weather, unit topography and flora… places I have familiarity with elk can be thick in one season and then non existent in the next from migration, hunter and non hunter pressure, ect…

TaperPin

WKR
Humans aren’t the only creatures that take a little time to adjust to changes in temperature. When temps change drastically elk can’t take their coats off so they will compensate. Eventually they acclimate to the new temps, but they like to be comfortable.

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Draw odds are a generally good proxy of how the hunt should be. If they are close its down to your preference.

"No solutions, only tradeoffs"
That is kind of what I figured. Especially when sifting through the data of hunter numbers, success rates, etc. I’m sure any of the easier to draw units will all have their trade offs and experience year to year is what would allow you to have a better feel of what your hunt may actually be like.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Also easy to draw units are generally easy for a reason… the hunting can be hard and it’s not a slam dunk… just something to think about

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Also easy to draw units are generally easy for a reason… the hunting can be hard and it’s not a slam dunk… just something to think about
Oh, absolutely. Trust me when I say I am super realistic with my expectations of what this hunt will likely be.

I had low expectations the first time I went in 2020 and was still VERY humbled by the experience.

I almost think I will be able to enjoy it more knowing it will be way more about learning and not acting like “Oh if I just get far enough away from the trailhead I will for sure find elk and trick a satellite bull to giving me a 25 yard broadside shot”

I’ll be honest, my goal this hunt is to simply locate elk and hopefully piece together a strategy to try and get closer. If I tag one, great! if I don’t, I still located elk as a midwestern hunter in super foreign territory. I would take that hunt experience in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Oh, absolutely. Trust me when I say I am super realistic with my expectations of what this hunt will likely be.

I had low expectations the first time I went in 2020 and was still VERY humbled by the experience.

I almost think I will be able to enjoy it more knowing it will be way more about learning and not acting like “Oh if I just get far enough away from the trailhead I will for sure find elk and trick a satellite bull to giving me a 25 yard broadside shit”

I’ll be honest, my goal this hunt is to simply locate elk and hopefully piece together a strategy to try and get closer. If I tag one, great! if I don’t, I still located elk as a midwestern hunter in super foreign territory. I would take that hunt experience in a heartbeat.
Good attitude to have, heck there are lot of days in Sept where I feel like I’m hunting ghosts, and I learn something new every time I’m out, if you aren’t you aren’t doing it right

OP
RB1

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
Good attitude to have, heck there are lot of days in Sept where I feel like I’m hunting ghosts, and I learn something new every time I’m out, if you aren’t you aren’t doing it right
Exactly. Won’t learn if I don’t go. I finally have the PTO flexibility to go on my own terms and spend as much time out there as season allows, so I would regret not going while I have the time and opportunity.

JacobVA

FNG
Hey guys I'm new here appreciate the points made in this thread. I've looked at ML and 1st rifle a lot also. I've only done 2nd season two times. Planning to apply for 1st rifle this year. Want to do ML someday. Worst part about ML season for me is getting away for it. It always falls around my wife's bday haha.

Hey guys I'm new here appreciate the points made in this thread. I've looked at ML and 1st rifle a lot also. I've only done 2nd season two times. Planning to apply for 1st rifle this year. Want to do ML someday. Worst part about ML season for me is getting away for it. It always falls around my wife's bday haha.
Get her a nice gift before you head out :)

tracker12

WKR
During Muzzy season you have rutting bulls and is an exciting time to be in the woods. One thing to consider is that most if not all Muzzy tags will take more than 1 point.