Driving direction question between 2 different hunts

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
This is a travel question that could involve either Colorado residents or non-residents that may have traveled the same way.
I have a 3rd season Elk tag and the hunt ends on the 7th of November. I have to be in Central South Dakota on the 10th for a Whitetail hunt. Can anyone give me their opinions on the best way from the Gunnison area north. Trying to avoid Denver if I could as I do not know what time of day I would hit it. Hoping someone might have an idea on the best way. I know this is terrible dilemma with, but someone's gotta do it.

mproberts

WKR
Head to Colorado Springs then take 24 east to 71 north until it hits I-76 if you reallllly have to avoid Denver..... but having said that it's an hour longer that way and I would just take my chances around Denver. Denver is like 3 hours from Gunnison so if you leave in the morning you will hit Denver after the morning rush hour.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What’s said above is good advice. Just pay attention to weather related road closures. If you do hit Denver just pay the toll and take e-470 around it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
At that time of year, I would play it by ear as it would all depend on the weather. But I would also probably go through the Springs....24......to 71. But I avoid Denver at all costs.