Colorado Mule Deer Question

cmill051

FNG
First off, I just want to make it clear, I am in no way asking for unit recommendations. Going into this year, myself and my dad have 3 points a piece for mule deer. I looked hard into CO last year, pulled the stats from the states page and knew what units were available to us. We ended up just buying a preference pt and hunted Montana, big mistake. Hunting Montana last year was our second time in a row. Our first draw in 22 took all of our pts and we had a great hunt. 2023’s hunt was a luck draw on 0 pts and a terrible hunt. I am not saying terrible bc we were unsuccessful, I am saying terrible bc we saw very few mule deer.
This now leads me to my question, getting my dad to hunt out west was like pulling teeth, however when we were successful on our first hunt he was hooked. Now, with this last hunt it has made it a pretty heated conversation about heading west again. Just to be clear, we are not upset about being unsuccessful, it is the lack of game. We live in Virginia, so not the shortest drive. We know that not getting something is part of the game, that is fine but to hunt hard for 6 days and turn nothing up was a slap in the face.
My fear is, if I put us in for a Colorado draw on a 3pt or less unit and we see no game, I lose my hunting partner. Killing trophies would be great, but seeing game and having the opportunity at a decent one would be our goal. My dad is in his late 60’s in great shape but is also at that point where his interest in hunting is really not what it used to be and he is really concerned about getting used to the elevation. Me on the other hand, I am ready to hunt wherever, it’s more of the adventure and trip for me, but I get his point. I don’t want to burn 3 and hit the same wall we did last year but I have done a pile of research and feel pretty confident about some units for second season rifle. I am fully aware that nothing is a definite and stats from years past can change this year.
Really just looking for some advice from those that have made this trip and had around the same points as us. A lot of information that I have found says to pull the trigger when you have 3-5pts. I like the idea of Colorado this year bc we have pts in Utah, Wyoming and South Dakota, just not enough to do anything at this time. I also know that if we pull and it’s a bust that is probably it for my dad venturing out west again.
Just to clarify we hunted the Broadus, MT area, I knew going out what we were getting into but we were successful there last year, saw lots of game, probably just beginners luck. Each year we hunted the second week of rifle. My experience this time is that I would not recommend that area unless you are tied into an outfitter. We saw 1 set of other hunters and any locals we ran into just laughed at us. If you do choose that area, I can not emphasize enough, make sure you have 10 ply tires. Learned that lesson first hand this season.

Pick your unit wisely in CO and you should have a fun hunt and see lots of game. Look for high percent success and high populations of game. Do some digging on the CPW website. There are lots of units out there that will have this; can choose terrain/area from there. Experienced hunters might see 50-100 deer in some of these units..maybe not big bucks anymore but plenty of action.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
I can help you guys. Send me a DM, and I’m happy to give you some recommendations.

At this time I am unable to send a dm, not enough posts.
I think you could have a good hunt in colorado. Sorry about your dad, at least he made it to his late sixties. My dad slowed down big time about late 50s, something I pray doesn't happen to me! That's why I love the over sixty hunters thread!

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
OP, it sound like you know what you both want out of a hunt. Just complete the work/ research to find the best likelihood of finding the hunt that meets that criteria. Wanting to see more game usually comes with the challenge of more tags / people. Is that part of the tradeoff you are willing to accept?

OP
C

cmill051

FNG
Thanks for the replies everyone. Dwnw, I have thought about the more game the more tags. I certainly am not opposed to hunting an area with other hunters, it’s public land, I can only expect that. Being over ran with hunters would not be desirable. Our goal would not be to see 100 deer a day. Getting on game and having that feeling of, man something is going to happen here, that is more desirable than seeing massive amounts. Only thing I can do is continue to research and take advice from people more knowledgeable than myself.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
I've had to move quite a bit with my career, and have found picking hunts similar to picking houses. I make a list of what I want in a hunt, and star the items I have to have vs those that I would be nice to have. These change based on if I am hunting solo or which friends & family are going.

This year I had 2 hunts in neighboring states with overlapping hunt dates. First hunt was with my brother and had significant amount of deer (20-50 does with 1 or 2 nice bucks a day), but also many other hunting groups. Second hunt my brother decided to come help glass. The unit had extremely low deer numbers, there were multiple days were we never saw a deer. But also almost no other hunters. My brother thoroughly enjoyed the first hunt, second hunt he hated and camp had a lot of tension just due to lack of animals. I will do the first hunt with him again, but won't invite him on a similar second hunt.

To me it is not fair to expect someone to come help or be on a hunt they won't enjoy. Talking with your hunting partner and understanding what they want out of the experience is critical. When hunting with my bother, he would rather see 10 "not quite big enough" bucks than really low odds of seeing 1 giant.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Dwnw, I have thought about the more game the more tags. I certainly am not opposed to hunting an area with other hunters, it’s public land, I can only expect that. Being over ran with hunters would not be desirable. Our goal would not be to see 100 deer a day. Getting on game and having that feeling of, man something is going to happen here, that is more desirable than seeing massive amounts. Only thing I can do is continue to research and take advice from people more knowledgeable than myself.
Considering the large financial investment of just going cross country, you might consider joining an application service like epic outdoors or huntifool. You can call and talk to the guys about what kind of hunt you’re looking for, your points, and get some unit ideas from them. And then you can get a members experience list and call other members who have actually been in the unit for additional help/advice on logistics and general areas to look. Epic has been super helpful for me visiting new units and my buddy uses hunting fool with similar experience.

OP
C

cmill051

FNG
My dad would definitely be on your brother’s team, see 10 not quite big enough bucks. That would be probably an ideal hunt for my dad and I am fine with that. I would love to get a trophy but we are new to hunting mule deer, so a nice buck is a trophy to us. Definitely not those guys that refuse to eat a tag and will just shoot anything.

I have looked into Huntin Fool and I am not against using their services. I did a lot of research when we went to MT in 2022 and it turned out successful, so part of me is still reeling from that high and feel like doing the research myself. However, as my kids become more involved with sports between them and work my research time becomes limited.

Really appreciate everyone giving me advice. Posting on sites is a new thing to me but when it comes to time and money like this, as much information that one can get is so beneficial.

Rich M

WKR
I've had to move quite a bit with my career, and have found picking hunts similar to picking houses. I make a list of what I want in a hunt, and star the items I have to have vs those that I would be nice to have. These change based on if I am hunting solo or which friends & family are going.

This year I had 2 hunts in neighboring states with overlapping hunt dates. First hunt was with my brother and had significant amount of deer (20-50 does with 1 or 2 nice bucks a day), but also many other hunting groups. Second hunt my brother decided to come help glass. The unit had extremely low deer numbers, there were multiple days were we never saw a deer. But also almost no other hunters. My brother thoroughly enjoyed the first hunt, second hunt he hated and camp had a lot of tension just due to lack of animals. I will do the first hunt with him again, but won't invite him on a similar second hunt.

To me it is not fair to expect someone to come help or be on a hunt they won't enjoy. Talking with your hunting partner and understanding what they want out of the experience is critical. When hunting with my bother, he would rather see 10 "not quite big enough" bucks than really low odds of seeing 1 giant.
I basically do the same thing with my hunts. Sometimes the animals are low on the list.