Tikka T3 Super Lite 7mm Rem Mag Mountain Rifle

digger

Lil-Rokslider
My son just picked up that same rifle and I started paperwork(California)on one in 300 wm .
His is shooting -150 grain nosler Etips into pretty nice groups so far. It would not stabilize the
168 grain Barnes LRX.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Krylon fusion only comes in a few colors I would paint a gun in but I would imagine if a guy used a primer first, you wouldn't necessarily need a plastic paint for it and it would open up your options for colors.

I have had good results using plastic primer and then the regular spray paint.

id like to shoot them side by side still and maybe weigh stocks. ive thought of painting mine, but i dont really want to add weight just for aesthetics

Mike7

WKR
Brock, looks good!
I would like to put together something similar to your setup. I have seen some on here recommend using a DMZ Gamekeeper one piece medium height rings set attached to the rail that comes on the Superlite. What made you choose the 20 MOA rail with Vortex rings?

westside elkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Brock. The gun looks good. Really like the look of the stock. Do you shoot berger ammo out of your other guns? Am curious on how well the bergers do?

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock, looks good!
I would like to put together something similar to your setup. I have seen some on here recommend using a DMZ Gamekeeper one piece medium height rings set attached to the rail that comes on the Superlite. What made you choose the 20 MOA rail with Vortex rings?

A little bit was influence from friends who know way more about this than I do. Also it seemed like a good way to go with the 20 MOA if I ever decide to shoot out far with it.

Brock. The gun looks good. Really like the look of the stock. Do you shoot berger ammo out of your other guns? Am curious on how well the bergers do?

I've shot the same bergers in 130gr out if my .270 and was pleased with them so it was a no brainer to give them a try in this gun.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Brock, looks good!

As Brock mentioned, the 20 moa rail gives you more up travel for shooting long range. You also have more flexibility to mount the scope where you want. With a one piece base and ring system, you have a small area where the scope fits. According to DNZ's website, the space between the rings is only 2.83".

That's cool. You going to zero at 200 yards? And what is the trajectory of 168 bergers for the 7mag?

This is what Brock's range card would look like with a 200 yd zero.
7mmRangecard_zpsf7543fb2.jpg

Mike7

WKR
Thanks Justin. That makes sense now...and I see with a little more research that the scope at medium to long ranges will be more in its sweet spot optically and also for dialing windage.

simpy16

FNG
Brock I think I am really close to buy one of these from Sportsmans. I have a 300WSM in a weatherby Vangaurd and LOVE the rifle but want to build something lighter for mountain hunting. I was also thinking going smaller caliber for antelope but would still maybe take this for elk hunting as well.

Would I regret going with a .270 when it comes to elk hunting with it? Also how much did it cost to add the muzzle break on there? If I were to build this up in a 300wsm I would for sure have to put a break on there or I would lose a shoulder with it!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
simpy16,
A .270 will work fine for elk. The 7mm is better all around in my opinion but both will work. The .300 wsm or .300 win mag are also great all around options.

Also, I have shot both the .300wsm and the 7mm mag in a Tikka T3 and they are okay without brakes. With that said, I would put a brake on every rifle if I could afford it.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock I think I am really close to buy one of these from Sportsmans. I have a 300WSM in a weatherby Vangaurd and LOVE the rifle but want to build something lighter for mountain hunting. I was also thinking going smaller caliber for antelope but would still maybe take this for elk hunting as well.

Would I regret going with a .270 when it comes to elk hunting with it? Also how much did it cost to add the muzzle break on there? If I were to build this up in a 300wsm I would for sure have to put a break on there or I would lose a shoulder with it!

I think the .270 is fine for elk. The brake was $217 out the door.