270WSM for mule deer

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
Quick question.
My current rifle is a Browning A-Bolt Micro Hunter in 270WSM. I have always shot 150gr Nosler Partition bullets. I have used this on numerous whitetails and on a New Hampshire moose seen in my avatar. This bullet has performed extremely well out to 200yds, but I would be hard pressed to find a range to shoot any longer distance than that and none of my hunting areas would afford a shot longer than that either. Is this bullet choice acceptable for mule deer out west or should I be looking into different 130gr bullets. I do not handload.

bonehunts

FNG
Completely agree with Backcountry's comment. More than adequate. I took my last elk with my 270WSM and 150 gr Nosler Partitions.

mcseal2

WKR
Nothing wrong with that bullet at all. If you choose to try something different I'd recommend the 140gr Accubond. I've taken several animals with it in 270WSM and 270 win, it's performed very well for me and has one of the best BC's in a .277 bullet.

If your gun likes the 150gr Partition though there really isn't much need to switch for anything. I've used that bullet in an old 760 Remington pump gun in 270 Win for several deer, always good results. A buddy still uses it in his 760 and won't switch for anything.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
150 NP will shoot plenty flat out of a 270WSM. If you are going west for mule deer try to get in some longer range practice at 300 to 400 yards. That way you'll be confident if you need to take a longer shot and you'll know where to hold.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Shot my muley at 355 last year, he turned just as I squeezed off which ended up with him hard quartering away (not a shot I would usually take) and my 140 accubond entered behind the furthest back rib and came out in front of the opposite side shoulder. I would expect the partition to do just as well. I would have no problem using my rifle on elk at the same range.

OP
targetpanic

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
150 NP will shoot plenty flat out of a 270WSM. If you are going west for mule deer try to get in some longer range practice at 300 to 400 yards. That way you'll be confident if you need to take a longer shot and you'll know where to hold.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Bruce...i would love to find a club with a 3-400 yd range. Around here it is tough to find a 200yd range. My buddy may be building a 300yd range at his house...keeping fingers crossed