Tough Bullet Opinions

AXEL

WKR
Ah So, most interesting. So, is the average penetration also equal to the Accubond and how are your velocities?

I have this choice little Remmy 7-7.08 and want to pack it this year as I am still not quite well from a burst appendix, pneumonia and whatever in January, 2016 and really WANT to get out for extensive stints in my home mountains in SE BC, usually solo, as most older guys I know have quit hunting and was thinking of using Swifts.

So, a load of a Sirocco at 2700+ really interests me.

Thots? Also, give Molly a hug for us! :)

The 130 gr. E-tip would be a good bullet to consider in your 270 WSM. The 90 gr. E-tip in my son's 6mm Remington at about around 3180 fps sure has worked well on antelope, mule deer, and his first cow elk. A very large cow at 350 yards. Shot once behind the shoulder and the bullet angled forward slightly and exited the off-side shoulder. His elk went about 20 yards and tipped over. The E-tips perform like much larger and heavier slugs. Great bullet.

Nothing wrong with the Accubond or the Partition either. They would be worth trying. I'd shoot any of those three in whatever weight you chose from 130-150 grs. and would not miss a moments sleep. I wish you the best on your trip. Please post lots of photo's.

GKPrice

Banned
The 130 gr. E-tip would be a good bullet to consider in your 270 WSM. The 90 gr. E-tip in my son's 6mm Remington at about around 3180 fps sure has worked well on antelope, mule deer, and his first cow elk. A very large cow at 350 yards. Shot once behind the shoulder and the bullet angled forward slightly and exited the off-side shoulder. His elk went about 20 yards and tipped over. The E-tips perform like much larger and heavier slugs. Great bullet.

Nothing wrong with the Accubond or the Partition either. They would be worth trying. I'd shoot any of those three in whatever weight you chose from 130-150 grs. and would not miss a moments sleep. I wish you the best on your trip. Please post lots of photo's.

the etip is an outstanding game bullet but alas, finicky in a lot of rifles - I stubbornly try them first when beginning to build loads for a new gun because I'd rather use an etip if I can make them work - they're long for weight

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
In my experience the sciroccos weight retention exceeds the accubond everytime I have recovered a bullet.

Sciroccos are much tougher than accubonds IMO too. They ****ing crush elk! Wish they made a 200g 30 cal bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtmuley

WKR
Sciroccos are much tougher than accubonds IMO too. They ****ing crush elk! Wish they made a 200g 30 cal bullet.

I used to wish for a 200 grain Scirrocco myself. There isn't one, so the Accubond became my go to bullet. Don't worry about weight retention between the two. The Accubond crushes elk too. At least it has crushed the 14 bulls I've killed with it. mtmuley

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I used to wish for a 200 grain Scirrocco myself. There isn't one, so the Accubond became my go to bullet. Don't worry about weight retention between the two. The Accubond crushes elk too. At least it has crushed the 14 bulls I've killed with it. mtmuley

I've used them a bunch. But they don't like to fly straight in several of my rifles especially at longer ranges.

mtmuley

WKR
My RUM shoots the 200 sub MOA out to 950. Furthest I've gone with them. Longest kill at 703. Shortest at 42. 3200 fps muzzle. One Hell of a bullet. mtmuley

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
My RUM shoots the 200 sub MOA out to 950. Furthest I've gone with them. Longest kill at 703. Shortest at 42. 3200 fps muzzle. One Hell of a bullet. mtmuley

Do you ever notice any weird flyers?

mtmuley

WKR
Never any fliers. Between myself and friends we use them in .270, 7mm and .06 plus my RUM. Sane yardages except the 7mm out past 500. mtmuley

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I appreciate all the responses...Leupold got me a new scope within a week and I was able to get it mounted on my 375 H&H. Its shooting out 260 grain Nosler Partitions behind a stout load of n540 at 2850 FPS into 3/4" at 100 yards and 5/5 on the 300 yard gong - so our primary rifle plans on back on track. (BTW, this load in my 8.4 pound scoped rifle tenderizes the shoulder!)

For my 270 WSM, knowing that its back in the deer/antelope/elk game, I ordered some 130 scirroccos. Going to try to push these really fast. If I can get 3250-3300 with accuracy, my Swaro z3 BT should get ot to 6-650 (which is plenty far for me) Got Reloader 22 and 26 to play with.