Are horandy interbonds any good.

Jt89

FNG
because well first thing was it was a gift. second thing i shot 2 deer with a 243 first deer no blood second deer 3 drops. then this rifle got gifted to me and i just used it and i dont plan on switching any time soon but i have used a 270 win of my papal and it worked just fine. i dont need it i just use it because it works and i aint got the money to go and get another rifle right now.
OK, but how did your deer die? What was the damage inside like? Where did you shoot it?

.243 is enough calibre for deer at the ranges you're talking, just use a frangible bullet like the SST or a match bullet. One of the reasons they have a poor reputation is from the hunting rounds available in days gone by, it simply didn't have the right bullet construction and when shooting into the typical soft spots (neck, rear lung) the fast moving projectile zips right through without doing enough damage. Not enough is understood about the strengths and weaknesses of a .243 and so it gets put down as too weak for the job.

Inside of 200 yards, put any hornady factory load above 87gr (V-max, SST, ELD-X, hell even the 100gr whitetail will work) out of your 243 right through the front shoulder and break that scapula. Your deer is going down on the spot.

Back to your 300 Weatherby, 150gr hornady interlocks between 125 and 450 yards are going to get the job done but closer than that I'd be worried about a surprise pass through with no expansion. Essentially you got so much horsepower behind the bullet the mass of the deer isn't enough to make the lead do its job if you're too close.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
OK, but how did your deer die? What was the damage inside like? Where did you shoot it?

.243 is enough calibre for deer at the ranges you're talking, just use a frangible bullet like the SST or a match bullet. One of the reasons they have a poor reputation is from the hunting rounds available in days gone by, it simply didn't have the right bullet construction and when shooting into the typical soft spots (neck, rear lung) the fast moving projectile zips right through without doing enough damage. Not enough is understood about the strengths and weaknesses of a .243 and so it gets put down as too weak for the job.

Inside of 200 yards, put any hornady factory load above 87gr (V-max, SST, ELD-X, hell even the 100gr whitetail will work) out of your 243 right through the front shoulder and break that scapula. Your deer is going down on the spot.

Back to your 300 Weatherby, 150gr hornady interlocks between 125 and 450 yards are going to get the job done but closer than that I'd be worried about a surprise pass through with no expansion. Essentially you got so much horsepower behind the bullet the mass of the deer isn't enough to make the lead do its job if you're too close.
i am gonna try my 243 win in the front shoulder with the 80 grain rem cor-lokt cause it all that will group in my gun now for some reason. the deer never died from the 243 win with the 95 grain sst the sst bullet i will never use again. my 300 weatherby wont group the 180 interlock and weatherby dont load a 150 interlock so interbond or barnesttsx or swift sirrocco

Elkslut

FNG
In my experience shooting interlocks through my win mag and ultra mag. The jacket was coming detached from the core, it would leave odd shaped holes and tears in the target. Too fast or too much snuse?

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience shooting interlocks through my win mag and ultra mag. The jacket was coming detached from the core, it would leave odd shaped holes and tears in the target. Too fast or too much snuse?
i dont know adam weatherby like the interlocks out of his 300 weatherby i dont know if he hs issues with what your having or what

Unckebob

WKR
Interbonds are good bullets if you 1) can you find them and 2) find a good load for your gun—-they are very picky bullets.

I happened to buy a large amount of 165gr Interbonds for my Tikka 308. 45gr of Varget and they touch each other.

I think Hornady stopped making them cuz they can pump out alot more ELDX in less time so its more profitable for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found some new Interbonds in 7mm a few months ago.

06 SB

FNG
They work great! They can be difficult to find a good load, but if you do use them, their terminal performance is top notch.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
I have no clue regarding Hornady interbonds, but the Hornady interlock is a damn good whitetail bullet. I've cleaned well over a thousand whitetail killed with them. 40 years ago the Hornady Custom BTSP was what my family was using. 243 100gr, 308 150gr, 270 130gr, 30-06 165gr, 7mag 162gr, 300wm 165gr. All Hornady interlock.
Guess what the cheap Hornady Whitetail round is? Hornady interlock. Same speeds as the old Custom BTSP.
In a 243, the 100gr interlock performs better on whitetail, in my opinion, than a corelokt or power shok. Higher % of exits if you need a blood trail. My son started killing whitetail with the 100gr 243 interlocks at 5 yrs old and is still using them at 34 years old. I had 2 little "borrowed hunting midgets" using them last season with good results.