Need Rifle Suggestion

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the feedback. I've seen a lot of support for Tikka and they seem a little more cheapley made the few times I've held them.

The Browning X-Bolts are single stack.

In which areas? The action assembly is slick and smooth. Some folks didn't like the T3 plastic bolt shroud (I didn't care personally) but that is metal on the T3x. The stock feels nicer than most other factory synthetic stocks (the T3x feels better than the T3 by the way), so short of going for an expensive composite stock at a different price point gun I can't ask for more there (I personally have no interest in a wood stock rifle for the hunting I do). Finally you're at the plastic mags/bottom metal. I've never had a concern with them but those are also replaceable if really bothersome, it saves cost/weight while being perfectly functional and not clunky feeling (in my opinion, esp. compared to some of the actual budget rifles out there).

Browning I kinda lump in with Remmington, they seem like they are still trying to ride the wave of brand recognition of the past. What is the murmur on the x-bolt in terms of accuracy? I can't say I've really heard all that much either way.

Anyone with experience with the Browning?

I have a 300 wsm stainless stalker xbolt that has been awesome. I prefer the stock to a tikka and you get a little more magazine length in factory configuration. It's very accurate too. Stock for stock, I'd take the xbolt over a tikka. I still ponder building a long action tikka with aftermarket 9 twist throated for 215s though!

GKPrice

Banned
What kind of groups are you getting with the T3?

when wind is good and I'm not shaky 100 yard groups will stay inside 1" regularly - it was brand new last year and this year has been hectic but I'm hoping to wring out at least to 300 yards from field positions later this winter - doesn't do much good now but I will post results then

GKPrice

Banned
In which areas? The action assembly is slick and smooth. Some folks didn't like the T3 plastic bolt shroud (I didn't care personally) but that is metal on the T3x. The stock feels nicer than most other factory synthetic stocks (the T3x feels better than the T3 by the way), so short of going for an expensive composite stock at a different price point gun I can't ask for more there (I personally have no interest in a wood stock rifle for the hunting I do). Finally you're at the plastic mags/bottom metal. I've never had a concern with them but those are also replaceable if really bothersome, it saves cost/weight while being perfectly functional and not clunky feeling (in my opinion, esp. compared to some of the actual budget rifles out there).

Browning I kinda lump in with Remmington, they seem like they are still trying to ride the wave of brand recognition of the past. What is the murmur on the x-bolt in terms of accuracy? I can't say I've really heard all that much either way.

when Tikka came out with the T3x they addressed most of the complaint areas consumers had - FYI, although "plastic" is a generic term guys love to throw around the T3x stock is technically not "plastic" but a polymer based synthetic that is pretty darn tough and the expansion/contraction rate for temps is every bit as stable as aluminum, it's just no lighter than the rest - also, the magazine is made of the same stuff, extremely tough (I've tried to destroy one on a bet, I lost) - Personally, I truly wish they'd put a 3 function safety on Tikka T3x's but they're being stubborn, I know for a fact it can be done - I did one of those "model 70" German aftermarket safeties on one of mine and it works well enough but is off center on the swing so a bit awkward but works the same
As far as Xbolts are concerned I'd take one ANY day over a Remington - Moruko of Japan knows how to build rifles, they've been at it for a long time and have barrel making down - I believe the Xbolt magazine is called a "rotary" magazine, technically not a single stack but reliable

GKPrice

Banned
Mountain Tactical's "Tikka Performance Shop" has all kinds of cool Tikka improvements, I just got the ultralight bottom metal retro and put it on my "06 AI, fits like a tight glove and eliminates the worry over action screws losing torque, I'm going to get another for the 6.5 CM

I've got a Browning x bolt in 7mm Mag and a couple of Tikka's, one in 7-08 and a 300 Win Mag. They all shoot great, with the edge going slightly to the Tikka. I like both stocks but if I had to say, I like the duratouch stock on the Browning just a bit better, the grip on it just feels good. The new T3X stock is much better than the old T3 stock though. The action feels smoother on the Tikka to me but the Browning isnt bad. In the end I'd go with the Tikka and save a few hundred bucks and be totally happy with it over the Browning.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Did you have a particular bullet in mind for the rifle?

I'm using a 180 grain Accubond in a 24" barrel at 2,960 fps. With a limb saver barrel dampener I shoot a 3/4" group. I haven't had major trouble with my current rifle. I would just like a change in "scenery".

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I've got a Browning x bolt in 7mm Mag and a couple of Tikka's, one in 7-08 and a 300 Win Mag. They all shoot great, with the edge going slightly to the Tikka. I like both stocks but if I had to say, I like the duratouch stock on the Browning just a bit better, the grip on it just feels good. The new T3X stock is much better than the old T3 stock though. The action feels smoother on the Tikka to me but the Browning isnt bad. In the end I'd go with the Tikka and save a few hundred bucks and be totally happy with it over the Browning.

Do you feel that, without modification to the actual rifle, that you could shoot 800 yards with a Tikka (with the right scope, load, etc.)?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most folks are getting sub MOA results on factory tikka esp. when reloading for them so to a degree yes they certainly can shoot out that far. You're potentially giving up a little margin for error against a 1/4-1/2MOA gun but that isn't your typical off the shelf rifle in that price range. To effectively shoot 800yd (hitting the actual point of aim consistently) is going to have everything to do with the capabilities of the shooter and the dope for the load compared to the gun itself when you at least have a legit sub-moa gun/load combo. That said don't expect to rip off a 10shot string and not have it walk some with a sporter barrel. ;) My unmodified 7-08 shoots sub MOA to 400 with my hunting load, I've just never pushed that specific gun much further as its loosing velocity with bullet I am using.

Is a sporter weight factory tikka the best selection for an 800yd gun? No not really but neigher are most factory 6.5-7lb guns in that price range.

I don't know the magazine (if even has one vs a blind mag) arrangement but for a little more money on your stated budget also take a look at the barrett fieldcraft, folks have been talking those up.

2five7

WKR
Anyone with experience with the Browning?

Never owned a tikka, but I do have a hells canyon speed in 6.5 cm. Really nice little rifle, lightweight, points nicely, shoots great with zero load development. Shoots about .75 moa with Amax's loaded .020 off the lands. I'm sure I could tighten that up with more development, but didn't really see the need. I put one of the greybull leupolds on mine, I've only shot it out to 700 but it did very well.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy another xbolt at all.

GKPrice

Banned
Most folks are getting sub MOA results on factory tikka esp. when reloading for them so to a degree yes they certainly can shoot out that far. You're potentially giving up a little margin for error against a 1/4-1/2MOA gun but that isn't your typical off the shelf rifle in that price range. To effectively shoot 800yd (hitting the actual point of aim consistently) is going to have everything to do with the capabilities of the shooter and the dope for the load compared to the gun itself when you at least have a legit sub-moa gun/load combo. That said don't expect to rip off a 10shot string and not have it walk some with a sporter barrel. ;) My unmodified 7-08 shoots sub MOA to 400 with my hunting load, I've just never pushed that specific gun much further as its loosing velocity with bullet I am using.

Is a sporter weight factory tikka the best selection for an 800yd gun? No not really but neigher are most factory 6.5-7lb guns in that price range.

I don't know the magazine (if even has one vs a blind mag) arrangement but for a little more money on your stated budget also take a look at the barrett fieldcraft, folks have been talking those up.

Fieldcraft is a blind box and built as a "hunting rifle" IMO - not a specific "800 yard rifle" at all, well made and about as accurate as your average Tikka BUT a lot lighter weight

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Fieldcraft is a blind box and built as a "hunting rifle" IMO - not a specific "800 yard rifle" at all, well made and about as accurate as your average Tikka BUT a lot lighter weight

I didn't mean to imply it was an 800yd gun, sorry it came off that way. It just popped in my head as potentially another gun that might meet the original criteria and perhaps not feel "cheap" to the user.

sparetime

FNG
Sako A7 with roughtech stock.

I'm in the same boat as you (except looking for a .300 win mag), I have only handled the different guns, Browning Xbolt, Tikka and Sako A7. For me, the Sako was the best fit/feel with the Browning second. Should be able to get one for less than your budget. Same company as Tikka, but I liked the stock a little better. Of course, you could get the Tikka and upgrade the stock and probably have the same money into it.

Pick the one that speaks to you and go with it. I think accuracy will be fine on any of them.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I have an xbolt medallion in 300wsm. I've only got a few rounds through it but my initial impression is that it's quite an excellent rifle. Unfortunately I bought the wood/blued example on impulse and it's just too nice for my Oregon coast & Alaska hunting so it's up for sale.

Trigger is excellent and easy to adjust, magazine functioned as it should, fit and finish is superb. I intend to buy a stainless version when mine sells. While not a long term test of accuracy or reliability - the two rounds (first and only lol - so take with grain of salt) were touching at 100 yards, Federal Premium 180 grain accubond. Note: the recoil pad is fantastic.

hodgeman

WKR
I guess you're right but it feeds inline with the bolt and that's what matters.

Why does it matter? Just asking because I've shot 300 WSM out of 5 different rifles in the last dozen years and never had an issue with any of them- regardless of magazine configuration.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Why does it matter? Just asking because I've shot 300 WSM out of 5 different rifles in the last dozen years and never had an issue with any of them- regardless of magazine configuration.

Feeds better with a fat cartridge like a WSM.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I also like the idea that you can get the X-bolt already threaded for a muzzle break. I'd like to get an aftermarket muzzle break to put on it.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sounds like you want an X-bolt. ;) Go put your hands on them and figure out which one works for you, others have said the accuracy/trigger/etc is just fine with them. FYI you can get a gun threaded for $50-100 so factor that in on what you pay for the feature even within the same brand of gun.