Factory 280AI rifle

sasquatch

WKR
Anyone have suggestions on an affordable accurate 280AI rifle, preferably that shoots factory ammo good.

Looking for something relatively lightweight and accurate. Currently eyeing the savage UL 110

Opinions. Not looking to spend $3k on the gun alone and looking for longer range rifle setup, currently do most hunting with sako Finnight short barrel 308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Buddy has the Savage and it has killed three elk out to 650. Been a great gun, especially since he got a suppressor for it. He used the factory stock and just ordered the Stocky’s VG2.

He also recently bought a like new Nosler M48 Patriot model that we probably like better. We need to cut down and thread it. Probably flute the barrel too. This model is a little heavier than he wants for elk mountains. There are other models I think.

letrbuck

WKR
I've been very pleased with my Weatherby 280ai. Accuracy with all factory ammo I've tried has been too20201109_081203.jpg

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
The Ultralite is definitely a value if you are looking for utility and accuracy. I have one in 280 AI that is sub moa with factory 160 accubond.

OP
S

sasquatch

WKR
The Ultralite is definitely a value if you are looking for utility and accuracy. I have one in 280 AI that is sub moa with factory 160 accubond.

Curious if anyone knows the performance diff with the shorter barrel on those

Most other have 24” and browning 26”

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
Curious if anyone knows the performance diff with the shorter barrel on those

Most other have 24” and browning 26”

I have chronoed the nosler trophy grade 160 gr accubond out of the Savage Ultralite 22” barrel and a browning x-bolt max long range with a 26” barrel.

22” Ultralite - 2810 fps
26” x-bolt - 2895 fps

Same box of ammo. Both rifles were new so the barrels may speed up. I was able to replicate the velocity of the factory ammo in the savage with 61.2 gr of H4831 and get a very consistent load for accuracy and velocity. Could probably work up a load with a faster burning powder like H4350 and get more velocity out of the short barrel.

OP
S

sasquatch

WKR
Well, I have a Kimber coming. Anyone with one have factory ammo recommendations to try?

SloppyJ

WKR
Kimber, Browning, Savage

I picked up a Savage Timberline off of here and it shoots amazing. The ultralight is too light IMO, the stock needs replaced.

Best of luck you will love that 280AI. It's a wonderful cartridge!!

140 gr. Accubonds, E-Tips, or Partitions should find you shooting nice small groups and spectacular success on game.

Last edited:

IdahoBeav

WKR
Well, I have a Kimber coming. Anyone with one have factory ammo recommendations to try?

Nosler 140 & 160 ABs & BTs have done well for me. Hornady 162 ELDX have also shot well.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk