Cooper M52 open country or full custom build??

Lindbm5

FNG
I am looking at either purchasing a Cooper M52 open country (Jackson long range) in 28 nosler, or having a smith build me a complete rifle. My biggest hesitation with the cooper is the 1:9 twist barrel. The custom build would cost about $700 more, but i can get a 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist. It would be a brux barrel, manners eh5 stock and a stiller tac action. I am thinking i will primarily shoot 175gr handloads. Does anyone have one of these coopers, and shooting the heavier 7mm bullets?? is it worth it to just bite the bullet and fork over the extra money and have the custom built. I also look into the fierce edge, it is also a 1:9 twist, and is within $100 of the cooper.

Thanks for your replies!!

I have a 7mm STW cooper model 52 Jackson hunter. I have shot 180 Berger Hunting vld with great accuracy but I think that is pushing the Bergers too hard in 7mm cal and they did not perform well. Nosler partition 175s shoot great but I haven’t shot anything besides a turkey at 10 yards that I shot in the head. Mine did not like 175 ABLR or ELD X but I didn’t try that hard with them either. The nosler factory long range with 175 ABLR was under 1 Moa easy and probably more like 3/4 consistently. Now I am using Hammer Hunters 143 grain and getting absolutely excellent accuracy. Performed well on a whitetail and a bull elk this year both close shots. If I do my part at 300 I can just about put 3 touching. 400 I was under 2” with some wind shaking the truck and mirage. 600 I opened up to 6” but wind was stronger and mirage was bad. Biggest thing with the cooper is to make sure you don’t mind the safety. It’s more of a little switch to flip that a good safety. My bolt also opens easy and will pop open when it’s on my pack or carrying. I have some 195 Bergers to try and see if the slower velocity will result in better on game performance just haven’t had a chance to load them yet.

OP
L

Lindbm5

FNG
Thanks for the reply. I am really hoping a copper will work out. I really like the eldx bullets and would love to use the 175s. I'd be interested to see what the 195s do in you stw.

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure is cooper still does it but 5yrs or so ago when. I got my rifle 6.5x284 I a little extra under 100$ I think and had them do a custom twist so I could get a 1-8 twist barrel. I love my cooper it's a great shooter.

OP
L

Lindbm5

FNG
I had the dealer call today. Cooper will not do a custom twist in this rifle. Coopers are great rifles, but I am leaning more toward the custom build.