New Rifle for Bowhunter Left Handed

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider
I just booked a moose hunt in 2019 and need to pick up a new rifle. I’m looking to get something I could use on future western hunts as well.

As title says Iv pretty much only bowhunter the last 8 years and could use some help. I currently own a 7mm-08 BAR but think it’s a little on the low end for moose.

I’m left handed so it narrows down the selection a lot. Been looking and seeing lots of great reviews on Tikkas. There is a dearer just down the road from me but doesn’t carry them they are special order. People that have ordered Tikkas does it take a long time? With my last browning I bought it was almost a year waiting on it to come in.

As for caliber I was thinking either 30-06 or 7mm.

Like to get some opinions on calibers or other brands I should be looking at. Tikka seemed to be the best bang for the buck. Iv yet to shoot one though just seen some right handed models on the rack at cabelas.

TWG0572

WKR
Tikkas are great guns, own a few. Shouldn’t take long at all if you order one. If you shoot your 7mm/08 well it should do the job just fine but I get the wanting a new gun part. If I was going to only have 1 gun I would get a Tikka T3x Superlite 7mm though. Don’t go cheep on a scope. Just my opinion

NDGuy

WKR
Tikka, Browning Xbolt, Ruger FTW Hunter in .300 WIN, Savage 111 or 110 Storm.

That is basically your options if you want to stay under $1000. Tikka like you said is probably the best bang for your buck quality wise.

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, the 7-08 is fine if it will group a heavier premium bullet and you feel comfortable/confident with it. Shot placement is more important than anything.

geriggs

WKR
I killed mine at 100 yards with a .308 165 gr Accubond, Ruger American Stianless LH. I did shoot three times and hit him twice but he didnt go more than 50 yards from where i shot him. They can soak up alot of energy. I bet your 7mm-08 would work fine with heavy well constructed bullets like mentioned earlier. That being said, sure a 30-06 or 7mm would be what i would prefer over the 7mm-08.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka left handed 30-06 is the way to go, it will provide you with a lot of flexibility in regards to the types of game you can take, the range that you can take them at, and the availability of commercial ammo.

I shoot a lefty Ruger 77 and like it. If you're not opposed to a single shot TC Pro Hunters are great for left hand or right hand shooters and the barrels give you a huge variety of options.

Tikka left handed 30-06 is the way to go, it will provide you with a lot of flexibility in regards to the types of game you can take, the range that you can take them at, and the availability of commercial ammo.
As a lefty and fellow Bow Hunter, I went with, an older, discontinued, Tikka T3, Stainless Lite, in .270 WSM and I like it, very much ! The .270 WSM, is a very "FLAT shooting" Caliber, as is, the 7mm Rem Mag. and BOTH cal's have, a lot of possibilities ! But, Ammo does cost more, for Factory stuff, IF you Hand load it doesn't cost very much more than regular .270 Win. ammo, tho. The .30-06 is another "great" choice as stated above! You won't go "wrong" with any of those 3 Cal choices for Big Game up to Elk/ Moose with, proper Bullet selection, of course. The Tikka's have, several "things" going for them, the list includes; 1) Well balanced and Light weight, most Rifles, end up weighing about, 7.5 lbs with scope or, less 2) Light, adjustable, "crisp" Triggers. 3) Smooth Bolt travel and a 70* Bolt "lift" to clear scopes, especially NICE, in Winter with Gloves. 4) Sako quality Barrels with, a 1, MOA guaranty and most Rifles, shoot, better than, that ! 5) Tikka's have a good, "Hard" Composite stock that won't Flex like, the Tupperware stocks of some Manufacturers and they have, REPEATABLE, POI's after sight in. Sadly, they are not made in America but, oh well ! As a Lefty I would buy another Tikka as, I like them, that much ! I hope this helps with YOUR, decision ! Good luck !

Last edited:

R H Clark

FNG
I would highly recommend the Tikka. It's likely that it has the highest chance among production rifles in that price range of great accuracy. I would however be cautious of just ordering one through the dealer down the road. If you do, just make sure you aren't over paying. Most times I get a lot better price by ordering from an online dealer and just paying a $20 transfer fee through a local dealer.

Here's a price checker. I had it set for the CTR but you can search any gun.
Search results for Tikka ctr | gun.deals

Don't over gun yourself either. Even your 7mm-08 is plenty at reasonable, within 300 yard range with a heavier well constructed bullet like a Barnes or Partition,or Accubond. If you do decide to get a larger gun,a 30-06 or 7mm mag is plenty. The 300 Win mag would be fine with a good brake as well but it would be rough in a very light gun.

Jimbob

WKR
Really like my 30-06 Tikka. I sold a Browning a-bolt 7mm mag to get the tikka. Very happy with that swap. The 30-06 is perfect for moose and anything else. The only reason I would go 7mm is if I wanted to start shooting longer range. Also lighter weight and shorter barrel is just so much nicer to carry and handle.

OP
Hesseltine32

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks. I was leaning toward the 30-06 due to availability of ammo.

OP
Hesseltine32

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider
I would highly recommend the Tikka. It's likely that it has the highest chance among production rifles in that price range of great accuracy. I would however be cautious of just ordering one through the dealer down the road. If you do, just make sure you aren't over paying. Most times I get a lot better price by ordering from an online dealer and just paying a $20 transfer fee through a local dealer.

Here's a price checker. I had it set for the CTR but you can search any gun.
Search results for Tikka ctr | gun.deals

Don't over gun yourself either. Even your 7mm-08 is plenty at reasonable, within 300 yard range with a heavier well constructed bullet like a Barnes or Partition,or Accubond. If you do decide to get a larger gun,a 30-06 or 7mm mag is plenty. The 300 Win mag would be fine with a good brake as well but it would be rough in a very light gun.

Thanks for the link. I had been checking prices online and was going to be curious to what there cost would be due to them being a really small shop.
What worries me the most with the 7mm-08 would have been waiting for that perfect broadside or slight quarrying away shot. Be worried with quartering to or way with penetration. 150 grain is the heaviest commercial grade I have seen available.

I planned on staying away from a 300 due to the kick.

OP
Hesseltine32

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider
As a lefty and fellow Bow Hunter, I went with, an older, discontinued, Tikka T3, Stainless Lite, in .270 WSM and I like it, very much ! The .270 WSM, is a very "FLAT shooting" Caliber, as is, the 7mm Rem Mag. and BOTH cal's have, a lot of possibilities ! But, Ammo does cost more, for Factory stuff, IF you Hand load it doesn't cost very much more than regular .270 Win. ammo, tho. The .30-06 is another "great" choice as stated above! You won't go "wrong" with any of those 3 Cal choices for Big Game up to Elk/ Moose with, proper Bullet selection, of course. The Tikka's have, several "things" going for them, the list includes; 1) Well balanced and Light weight, most Rifles, end up weighing about, 7.5 lbs with scope or, less 2) Light, adjustable, "crisp" Triggers. 3) Smooth Bolt travel and a 70* Bolt "lift" to clear scopes, especially NICE, in Winter with Gloves. 4) Sako quality Barrels with, a 1, MOA guaranty and most Rifles, shoot, better than, that ! 5) Tikka's have a good, "Hard" Composite stock that won't Flex like, the Tupperware stocks of some Manufacturers and they have, REPEATABLE, POI's after sight in. Sadly, they are not made in America but, oh well ! As a Lefty I would buy another Tikka as, I like them, that much ! I hope this helps with YOUR, decision ! Good luck !

Thanks for the info much appreciated .

OP
Hesseltine32

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider
Tikkas are great guns, own a few. Shouldn’t take long at all if you order one. If you shoot your 7mm/08 well it should do the job just fine but I get the wanting a new gun part. If I was going to only have 1 gun I would get a Tikka T3x Superlite 7mm though. Don’t go cheep on a scope. Just my opinion

I’m just worried about penetration on quartering to or away shots.
I have been looking at vx3i 3.5-10x40

Also really liked my 2-7 rifleman on my 7mm08 not sure if I should go with the 3-9 rifleman instead.

elkduds

WKR
RE 30-06 vs 7 rem mag: I made that switch 35 years ago. In practical hunting terms I would have made all the same shots w the same results by keeping the '06. But I thought I had to have a "magnum" for elk.

rodney482

WKR
Dont overkook the Ruger American in LH, I own both the Ruger and Tikka, both in LH.