Lefty rifle for Alaska

Axel1939

FNG
I’m starting to plan a few hunts in Alaska hopefully in the next few years. I’m left handed and always have shot right handed rifles. I find when shooting at non dangerous game from prone there is almost no disadvantage to a right handed rifle.
I’d like to build a rifle for Alaska as I don’t really have anything quite suited for the conditions nor chambered properly so I can kinda choose what is going to be best.
My main question is how important is it to have a properly handed rifle when dealing with dangerous game? I’d like to stick with a right handed rifle for several reasons but if someone talks me out of it I’d consider a lefty gun.

gerry35

WKR
I'm a lefty too and believe you should shoot proper LH rifles for a couple of reasons. Once you learn to operate a LH rifle properly you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. You'll be faster to load a second shot and also in the event of a blown primer a LH rifle will offer you better protection. I had a blown primer once on a RH gun and got some gas and debris into my left eye. I will only shoot a RH gun with shooting glasses now.

The easy button for an Alaskan rifle is a Tikka T3x 300 WSM, should be able to handle anything you'll ever encounter. Christensen has some LH options too if you go that route.

OP
A

Axel1939

FNG
I'm a lefty too and believe you should shoot proper LH rifles for a couple of reasons. Once you learn to operate a LH rifle properly you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. You'll be faster to load a second shot and also in the event of a blown primer a LH rifle will offer you better protection. I had a blown primer once on a RH gun and got some gas and debris into my left eye. I will only shoot a RH gun with shooting glasses now.

The easy button for an Alaskan rifle is a Tikka T3x 300 WSM, should be able to handle anything you'll ever encounter. Christensen has some LH options too if you go that route.
I have a deal cooking to trade one of my right hand M77’s in 25-06 for a blued and wood left handed model 70 in 338 win mag (plus boot). I’d prefer something stainless and synthetic for Alaska but if the deals right I think I’d just have it Cerakoted and have a McMillan stock made for it.
I’m a big control round feed fan if you can’t tell lol

gerry35

WKR
Haha nothing wrong with that! That 338 would be a great choice especially in a McMillan stock. Cerakote helps too. If the gun's in good shape you would have a great gun.

Michigander1479

Lil-Rokslider
I’m starting to plan a few hunts in Alaska hopefully in the next few years. I’m left handed and always have shot right handed rifles. I find when shooting at non dangerous game from prone there is almost no disadvantage to a right handed rifle.
I’d like to build a rifle for Alaska as I don’t really have anything quite suited for the conditions nor chambered properly so I can kinda choose what is going to be best.
My main question is how important is it to have a properly handed rifle when dealing with dangerous game? I’d like to stick with a right handed rifle for several reasons but if someone talks me out of it I’d consider a lefty gun.
I’m a lefty as well. Once I bought a LH rifle/shotgun I never went back. I own a 7mm ultra mag built off a Remington 700 action that I bought back in 2001. New to me I just purchased a unshot complete custom 338-06, that will be here later this week. I happened to find this gun heavily discounted here in the classifieds so I picked it up. This will be my go to Alaska gun for Moose hunting every year. Everything that can be cerokoated is. Buy the best you can afford whether that’s a lefty from a box store or if your budget allows inquiries about a custom gun. Some are more affordable than you’d think. Check with Tim Betts at Procision rifles in Pennsylvania. If you have any questions message me.

gerry35

WKR
I’m a lefty as well. Once I bought a LH rifle/shotgun I never went back. I own a 7mm ultra mag built off a Remington 700 action that I bought back in 2001. New to me I just purchased a unshot complete custom 338-06, that will be here later this week. I happened to find this gun heavily discounted here in the classifieds so I picked it up. This will be my go to Alaska gun for Moose hunting every year. Everything that can be cerokoated is. Buy the best you can afford whether that’s a lefty from a box store or if your budget allows inquiries about a custom gun. Some are more affordable than you’d think. Check with Tim Betts at Procision rifles in Pennsylvania. If you have any questions message me.
That 338-06 is a beautiful gun congratulations. Drooled over it a few times lol. I'm in BC and have a 35 Whelen but know your 338-06 will be awesome for moose and grizzly too.

Michigander1479

Lil-Rokslider
Your .35 is very comparable to the 338-06 as is a 338 win mag. The only real difference is the win mag is 150-200fps faster and kicks 35% more. It shipped today so I’m excited for the weekend!

BAKPAKR

WKR

I looked at that 338-06 more than once…

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
I have a moose hunt coming up this Sept-Oct in northern Alberta. I'm a lefty and am taking my LH Browning BAR 30-06 as my primary gun and my Henry 45-70 as my backup. Ammo for the Browning will be Buffalo Bore Supercharged Lead-Free 168 gr Barnes TTSX. Whenever possible I shoot a LH weapon: Winchester SX4 12 gauge, Ithaca Model 37s in 12, 16, 20, & 28 gauge, Stag 2TL LH AR-15, 1911s with ambi safeties. Agree with the other posters about once you go left, you never go back.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also a lefty. I only shoot left hand bolt guns but I can't say it's been a huge improvement for me over a right hand gun. If you are going to hunt with a right hand gun, you need to make sure the safety is where God meant for it to be: on the tang. I couldnt imagine shooting a right hand Tikka with where that safety is. I don't even like my left hand Tikka safety. But if you are worried about safety and being able to get a second shot off quickly at a charging grizzly, I'm pretty confident you won't have time for a second shot no matter which side that bolt is on. Bear mace is your best friend.

Loper

WKR
I'm also a lefty. I only shoot left hand bolt guns but I can't say it's been a huge improvement for me over a right hand gun. If you are going to hunt with a right hand gun, you need to make sure the safety is where God meant for it to be: on the tang. I couldnt imagine shooting a right hand Tikka with where that safety is. I don't even like my left hand Tikka safety. But if you are worried about safety and being able to get a second shot off quickly at a charging grizzly, I'm pretty confident you won't have time for a second shot no matter which side that bolt is on. Bear mace is your best friend.

I agree about the location of the safety. I’m a lefty and my first shotgun was the truly ambidextrous Browning BPS. I’ve tried other shotguns and rifles with other safety locations, but have sold all of them. Now all my rifles have a tang safety, Briowning X-Bolt, Ruger American, Savage, I even found a tang safety Winchester 94. All my shotguns too, Mossberg, O/U, etc.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I bought his LH Mauser in 280AI last fall, and was super close to buying that 338 several times as well. If I had t already had a custom LH 338-06 I would have bought his without a second thought!
I'd have bought that 98 without hesitation if I didn't already have a 280 AI of my own as well 🤦‍♂️

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Just some general Alaska advice since I'm not a lefty. I see lots of people going to Alaska or Canada who think "Oh bears" and they buy some huge rifle. Whether they can shoot it as accurately is a valid question. Even if they can, a .338, 375 etc. is almost always heavier and that gets old. I watched a video where a young lady shot a moose at long range with a short action rifle. Caliber was not mentioned but I assume it was a .308 if not something smaller (looked like a youth model). Shot looked perfect and the moose died quickly.

She then shot at a brown bear with dad's bigger and "better" rifle that she seemed uncomfortable with. She messed up that shot and the guide had to finish off her brown bear for her. If she'd shot the bear with her moose rifle my guess is there would have been no drama. My other data point is that I saw a 150 gr. SST from a .308 punch through just as much moose as a .358 premium bullet.

Point of all this is I would suggest a rifle you are comfortable with for your Alaska hunts. The chance you'll have to stop a brown bear charge are pretty small. I'd be more interested in a rifle/scope combination that was reliable and that you are comfortable with. I'm hoping to try my .308 (if not a .223) on a brown bear this spring to see how well it works. But regardless, I have always thought a visiting hunter was better off with a .308 they shoot well then a .375 they just bought.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I agree about the location of the safety. I’m a lefty and my first shotgun was the truly ambidextrous Browning BPS. I’ve tried other shotguns and rifles with other safety locations, but have sold all of them. Now all my rifles have a tang safety, Briowning X-Bolt, Ruger American, Savage, I even found a tang safety Winchester 94. All my shotguns too, Mossberg, O/U, etc.
Agreed. I've owned Browning and rugers as well. I think the tang safety is more important than a left bolt. The second shot on a whitetail from a treestand is a crap shoot anyway. Just my personal experience.

Michigander1479

Lil-Rokslider
I bought his LH Mauser in 280AI last fall, and was super close to buying that 338 several times as well. If I had t already had a custom LH 338-06 I would have bought his without a second thought!
Do you have any load recipes you are willing to share?