When do you start scouting for turkeys?

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
Yup, I would agree with Jmock. And again I will say weather can affect this. Ive read plenty of stories and articles to say its not always the case, but for me, rain tends to shut a lot of things down.
Interesting, I have also heard turkeys would be more out in the open on rainy days since they cant hear as well they go to open areas to have a larger field of vision. Have you seen this to be true? Or do they pretty much duck and cover into brush

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Interesting, I have also heard turkeys would be more out in the open on rainy days since they cant hear as well they go to open areas to have a larger field of vision. Have you seen this to be true? Or do they pretty much duck and cover into brush

Turkeys respond to rain much like you or I might. A little rain doesn't bother them, and they may be more apt to spend time in the open. Heavier rains will have them hunkered down.

Like most said, you need to be at your observation post, listening before daylight to pinpoint the roost.

Setting up right off the roost almost always ends in them going a different direction than I expected. I've killed many more turkeys a couple hours off the roost than I have within minutes of fly-down. However, if you know how they approach the roost in the evening that can be a productive approach.

In broken, open country it is worthwhile to spend time glassing for feeding birds at mid-day. In thicker timber, I spend my time moving and stopping to call. I've never had much success with locator calls so I prefer a louder series of yelps.

Most turkey hunters are slackers when it comes to scouting their hunting land before the season opens.

By spring, hardwoods will become largely devoid of acorns, so birds will focus more on greening fields and plants in low, watery areas, such as along creeks or swamp edges. To nail down where birds will be, serious scouting doesn't need to occur any earlier than two to three weeks before opening day. Birds will still typically be flocked up, but their location will remain fairly constant.

JNDEER

WKR
Do you glass for turkeys like you would for mule deer during the day? Or do you mean just get to a top of a peak and do a quick scan and move on?

glass, driving, listening, boot miles, whatever it takes to find them. Also- check your elevation as you could too high for turks.