Mechanicals for Turkeys?

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Any issues with mechanical broadheads not deploying on turkeys? I'm trying mechanicals for the first time (NAP Spitfire XXX 2" diam 3 blade), usually just use whatever big game 3-blade head I used the previous season on deer/elk. Past experience with a fixed blade on turkeys has been mixed, some drop dead when the shot is perfect others go a little distance before expiring when the shots off a bit.

I am also trying the magnus bullhead decapitator heads. I don't like that they don't fit in the quiver without an adapter but they seem pretty lethal. That said, I was looking at the mechanicals yesterday and realizing you could simply shoot with the blades deployed initially and essentially use it like a decapitator head if deployment was a concern, no? Has anybody tried that for turkeys?

bradb

WKR
I have shot a couple with that head, no problems at all. I still MUCH prefer to shoot turkeys with a shotgun :)

OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like they should work well

Any experience or issues with mechanicals and 60lb bow on turkeys? The arrows are only going about 250 fps. I adjusted down the draw weight of a backup bow for turkeys, figuring its easier to draw while sitting.

180ls1

WKR

Any experience or issues with mechanicals and 60lb bow on turkeys? The arrows are only going about 250 fps. I adjusted down the draw weight of a backup bow for turkeys, figuring its easier to draw while sitting.
You'll be fine.

dtrkyman

WKR
I put bullhead/guillotine heads in a tupperwear container with a glove or something to keep em quiet, install once set up.

I have killed a pile of turkey at 60lbs and large mechanicals, had 2 instances where I got zero penetration, one was a frontal shot and I must have centered the breast bone knob, the other was a shot into the wing but, lopped his wing off but zero penetration!

Most do not realize Grim Reapers were originally designed to be shot in open or close position, they lock open nicely, the spitfire should work that way as well, make sure to shoot em that way first! And make sure they clear your riser and sight!

Kurts86

WKR

Yes I’ve used that setup with NAP gobbler getters and they open just fine.

doepatrol

FNG
Any issues with mechanical broadheads not deploying on turkeys? I'm trying mechanicals for the first time (NAP Spitfire XXX 2" diam 3 blade), usually just use whatever big game 3-blade head I used the previous season on deer/elk. Past experience with a fixed blade on turkeys has been mixed, some drop dead when the shot is perfect others go a little distance before expiring when the shots off a bit.

I am also trying the magnus bullhead decapitator heads. I don't like that they don't fit in the quiver without an adapter but they seem pretty lethal. That said, I was looking at the mechanicals yesterday and realizing you could simply shoot with the blades deployed initially and essentially use it like a decapitator head if deployment was a concern, no? Has anybody tried that for turkeys?
Mechs are good for turks, I wouldn't worry about it

OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
I put bullhead/guillotine heads in a tupperwear container with a glove or something to keep em quiet, install once set up.

I have killed a pile of turkey at 60lbs and large mechanicals, had 2 instances where I got zero penetration, one was a frontal shot and I must have centered the breast bone knob, the other was a shot into the wing but, lopped his wing off but zero penetration!

Most do not realize Grim Reapers were originally designed to be shot in open or close position, they lock open nicely, the spitfire should work that way as well, make sure to shoot em that way first! And make sure they clear your riser and sight!
Thanks for the feedback! Do the spitfire heads lock open or close? The arrows are long/un-cut to work with the bullhead decap heads, so it should clear riser and sight easily. I will be testing these head later this evening

dtrkyman

WKR
Spitfires have a clip and they pretty much lock open, I head/nexk shit a couple with Grim Reaper whitetail specials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you buy a decapitator head, check your arrow length. Common for it to be behind the riser so the heads won’t fit unless you have longer arrows.

OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Before you buy a decapitator head, check your arrow length. Common for it to be behind the riser so the heads won’t fit unless you have longer arrows.
Right! Fortunately I did check. For big game, I have the shafts cut behind the front of the riser using fixed broadheads. Found a decent deal on a half-dozen Easton 6.5mm shafts (uncut) that I plan on using with those decapitator broadheads

fatlander

WKR
Grim reaper whitetail specials will put holes in turkeys that you can stick your fist through. Don’t see why a 2” 3 blade from nap would be any different.

I’ve killed a few birds with head loppers. I much prefer to shoot them with big mechs. I didn’t like the fact that they wouldn’t fit in a quiver and I had to turn my bow down to get them to fly. With mechs, I don’t change a thing about my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk