Bag size for food storage

wb8o5

FNG
Hey, so I’m heading on an 8 day backpack hunt and was trying to get an idea on what size storage bag/dry bag people use to fit 8 days worth of food. I think I’ll probably separate each day into gallon ziplocks but i think I’d like to keep everything in one big bag so that it’s all together (or maybe even into 2 bags) and easier to get to when it’s in my pack. What do yall use to hold your food in and what size? Seen where people either use pull outs or dry bags but I’m not sure what size would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
My .02:

Its pretty hard to misplace a gallon size ziplock bag of food, even in a huge(say 5000 cubic inch pack). By trying to have everything in different stuff sacks you end up with tons of dead space in your pack. This makes the load less stable and its harder to pack. I did exactly what you're talking about my first trip in. I used a 35 Liter Outdoor Research Ultralight Dry Sack with 9 days worth of food in there. I wedged this in the load shelf in between the frame and pack bag, then left this at Camp. We were in there for only 3 days, so I had to haul out a ton of food. These days I just fit loose gallon ziplocks into whatever nook/crannies I can find as I load my pack. Your mileage may vary, I'm just sharing my experience. I will say the 35L rolltop dry sack fit 9 days worth of food nicely, maybe a hair too big but the ultralight bags are not heavy and I knew from previous experiences whitewater kayaking that a couple extra folds on the roll top was preferable to less.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I fit 8-10 days food in my stone glacier load cell bag, then i put it in my load shelf, works awesome. Have all the heavier food against my back.

Btaylor

WKR
7 days of food in a 20L. Type of food you intend to carry makes a big difference in space requirements.

20L Sea to Summit lightweight dry bag is what I use for long backpacking trips. Works great for me. I separate out each day’s meals into ziplocs as well.

Doing my first 7 day elk hunt this year and I will use this same strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk