Steripen, LifeStraw filter, or tabs?

TauPhi111

WKR
What do you all use for your water purification system: Steripen, a Lifestraw type micro filter bottle, or Aquamira type tablets? What is most reliable? Pros and Cons?

I am two trips into swapping a filter for a steri pen. It doesnt help taste or water with a bunch of floaters but it seems to work. I am a bit concerned about having contaminated water on the rim of my bottle with a filter you were pumping only clea water into a bottle. Now I fill up and stir. Have to make sure to splash some on the bottle rim or pour one container into another.

Only downside so far is batteries and it would work with a bladder.

I use iodine tabs as a backup.

I'm carrying a sawyer mini and a steripen classic and can also boil water. I'll probably filter then steri. I trust the steri, but want to get the dirt out.

oldgoat

WKR
Used AquaMira drops and Steripen Classic with the Pre Filter this year, not going back a pump unless I am going someplace with real sketchy water.

I started out using a lifestraw for immediate drinks and carrying an extra bladder bag to use the tablets in. I felt like the lifestraw required some serious suction to get a sip. Eventually I worried it may have frozen and tossed it.

I personally don't notice any real noticable taste issue with the tablets. I keep a few in my binocular harness and a box in my pack, in case my filter goes down.

Which brings me to my Sawyer squeeze filter. Assuming you can get the bag full, it's pretty easy to use. Somewhat of a three-handed operation to squeeze it into another container though. I like that you could drink right through the filter cap from the bag, if necessary. It's super compact.

I think the katadyn pumps probably have the advantage if you're working with a smaller water source. The hoses seem like they could be annoying without an extra set of hands. I've only used them with other people though.

Last week, we hiked up a steep hell hole and the only water we found was a turbid cattle pond. It had a bit of a slick to the top of one side and was full of aquatic insects. We decided to pump the water through my buddy's katadyn, into the sawyer bag and squeeze it through a second filter. I drank maybe five liters of that water and seem to be fine.

AlaskaEd

WKR
The new(ish) MSR trailshot is pretty slick. That's all I used for my sheep and moose hunts this year. Only 5oz and you can use it like a straw or pump into a drinking or storage container. I always carry tabs as a backup as well.

I use the squeeze bag with filter and steripen depending on situation. I also have a 10 liter camp back with filter built in. Then in my emergency kit I usually have Aqua tabs. I don't care to get sick. The weight of the squeeze bags is so small, they just automatically come. the steripen is just so dang convenient it comes. The 10L camp bag is a must a it too adds another layer of filtering protection, and finally.... who doesn't have room for 4 aquamira tabs somewhere?
0cc47c9c1710f7f1828fb274cfc2241c.jpg

Last edited: