Cutco DD

PredatorX

WKR
I have had a fair amount of high quality knives. Most i have moved on from because it was hard to justify so much money for a knife. I was really big into the hard use folders and non folders in general. I have since switched gears though as I am looker to go lighter and faster. Recently picked up a cutco DD hunter 5718. Wow, this thing is really nice so far. I know cutco is seen as overpriced since it is not a high quality steel (440) on the different blade forums, but if this knife performs like Ive heard, it will be a great buy.

For the guys using this knife, how durable really is this DD edge? Am I still slicing paper after a few animals? Please share your experiences.

I will say that it is one of the most comfortable knife handles I have ever had the pleasure of holding. Knife and sheath weight 8 ounces.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Good knives. Hate the serrations. Most can't sharpen them (not a problem for me) so they have to send them back to cutco for about $10. This will add up over time and then you will grow tired and tolerate the dull edge.

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
I've recently bought one of these knives simply because of a few individuals who are on this forum site that I trust their judgement. K Dill and STID regard this knife as truly an asset. I hope they chime in on this as they both have the experience to back it up.

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
Ha that's who sold me as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
Good knives. Hate the serrations. Most can't sharpen them (not a problem for me) so they have to send them back to cutco for about $10. This will add up over time and then you will grow tired and tolerate the dull edge.
Is sharpening the main reason you dislike that edge?

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Is sharpening the main reason you dislike that edge?

Im a custom knife maker. I also do custom sharpening for folks. I get a lot of cutcos. The Serrations are a PITA. As a hunter, knife maker and the maker of a knife and broadhead sharpening guide I prefer a straight edge all the time over serrations.

I have many catch knives including several with the DD edge. I see no advantage.

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
What is the deal with cutcos then? I have a buddy who has eviscerated 22 whitetails he claims while barely needing a touchup. How are they getting this retention from a 440 type steel? Does it have more to do with the hardness then? Or is 440 better then I give it credit? I have some supposedly better steels that wouldn't do that.

blackdawg

WKR
I have been using one with a full serrated edge for about 20 years, cut up tons of game with it. I generally use the flimsy disposable blade knives for the the finer work, a wyoming knife to keep getting any stinky stuff on the meat and the Cutco for the tough areas that require ripping,prying,beating,hammering and such on the critters,it's really tough and stays sharp for a long time. Every year I send it back in Feb and cough up the $10 fee for "shipping" . Gonna be a very valuable knife one day,,,haha,,and it does fit a niche in my game processing procedure, I hope the kids fight over it when I croak.

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
Just gutting them? Or is he cutting up the entire deer with the cutco DD?

Just gutting and it was the straight edge. I mean even throwing out his claims, lots seem to suggest the edge retention is really good. I have a 112 or maybe its a 116 Buck that i use for gutting and after a couple gut jobs it needs to be touched up to get it shaving sharp again. Maybe edge geometry has a lot to do with it. His specific claim was that he had a brand new old timer, benchmade and cutco straight edge. The OT and benchmade lasted about 2-3 deer. The cutco lasted 22. He doesnt sell cutco haha, but he is known to stretch things a bit if you know what i mean.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I used a tyto the past two season but I always take that CC with me. It’s seems to stay sharp forever and I like having a real knife when I need one. Plus it’s pretty light for a knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I've had that exact model of knife with an orange handle for 16 years. In the first 14 years of use, I field dressed ~10 whitetails, skinned ~6, cleaned ~5 turkeys and probably used it for a few other things I don't remember. I considered the knife still sharp when I sent it in for sharpening only because I was mailing in other Cutcos that needed sharpening. I think the DD edge holds up very well. I really like the handle material and color. I find the knife to be heavy and I only use it when I'm hiking shorter distances.

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
I would be interested to here how it is that serrated knives are sharpened differently. I've skinned a lot of coyotes one year with a Victorinox serrated pelted knife. After every coyote, a couple swipes down a junk V-sharpener and it was back in business. Interested in what others have found. For the investment of my Cutco DD I won't be trying such, but the pelter knife is an excellent tool you can pick up for $6 at Minnesota Trapline Products.

I (and several guys I know and hunt with) own and really like the DD-edge Cutco. I had butchered a couple moose with conventional good knives and all of them required a touch-up (or 4) during the process. My first go with the Cutco DD had me doing a moose start-to-finish with zero touch-up. I find 3 BIG advantages in this knife: The serrations (points) protect the sharpened concave hollows from bone contact, thus the blade stays sharper longer. The serrated points focus pressure on the cutting contact area and make cutting through tough stuff a lot easier. Skinning, cutting through tendons, ligaments, shanks is much nicer on big animals. The large tacky-soft grip is superb for jobs taking hours and involving tired, bloody hands. I consider this knife a tool...a real one and it gets the job done. Not fancy to look at. Just 440c stainless.

If you're a knife snob (which I am at times) this knife isn't going to impress you. If you're into knives that get down, dirty and work like crazy then this might be your knife. The few things I might ding on it: Unless you love the frustrations of sharpening serrations, it's a send-back. I knew this going in and don't mind it. I only use the knife on big animals and not for general cutting duty. It's not a great blade for making the opening skinning cuts on thick-haired game. That's because the serrations can grab hair and pull it into the blade/cutting zone. On big critters I always have a standard edge knife (my backup) available and use it to open up the hide. Then the DD goes to work.

Cutco: Great company. They specialize in kitchen knives and we own a bunch of them. All of their knives carry a lifetime warranty plus free sharpening whenever you want it. I own 2 of the DD hunting knives. My wife owns 2 kitchen knives with the DD edge and she loves them.