Whole Deer in a Kifaru

WoodBow

WKR
I needed a change of pace from the recurve for a while so I bought a used compound last week and put it to work last night. 13 yard shot and watched him fall in seconds. Slick tricks seem to work well. I ranged him laying dead from my stand at 38 yards.

Well this spot is 500 yards from where I have to park. If it weren't for a creek between, I could drive the truck the whole way. If Dad hunts too, he takes the four wheeler or argo if its all flooded out. I personally do not like driving anything near my setup and am happy to walk 500 yards. So knowing I would have 500 yards to transport a deer manually, I opted to take my kifaru duplex frame and diy cargo panel. I could have quartered the deer and would have had to if deer in this part of texas were as big as in other areas. However, given the short distance to travel and smallish size, I did not feel it was worth the weight savings to quarter and I preferred to hang it up at home to process. I also decided not to gut it. I knew if I gutted it, it would get a lot more blood on me carrying it. I figured I could handle the extra weight so I just loaded him up whole. I used a short compression strap to fold his front legs against his chest. I had planned to do the same with the hind legs but the strap was too short. It did not prove to be an issue. Once he was all strapped in, I stood the pack upright, sat on the ground in front of it to strap it on and then stood it up. It worked very well. Sure beat the hek out of dragging one. It took about 2 minutes to strap him to the pack. No blood got on me. A fair amount was on the cargo panel but rinsed off due to it being made of cordura. He weighed 100 lbs on the nose on the game scale. I'm a big fan of the versatility of a cargo panel.

In most of texas you get one non-branched antler buck and one branched antler with a spread greater than 13". Now I am just looking for big boy.

200a6nc.jpg

1zfmyvk.jpg

2rpyx4i.jpg

That's great! I just put a CP on the new Duplex frame for the versatility but will never use it in this fashion just because I am never that cose to the truck. Congrats...he only made it 20 yards, great shot!

Back