anyone have a car camping tent they recommend for a family?

sk1

WKR
I have two kids under 5 and 2 small dogs......have a few trips planned at camp grounds this summer and it's the first time we are all going as a family. I've been looking online for a bit and not really seeing what I was thinking I would find for the most part. I am looking for one that has a divider in the tent for the two kids as well.

Thanks for any input

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I would look for a tent that can withstand some wind. We have had some REI big stand up inside type tents that were great in good calm weather but were useless in wind over 20mph. Look for lots of stake and guy out points to be able to anchor it down when the wind kicks up. Also look for good rain fly water run off. Some have nice vestibules in "good" weather but pools rain water very quickly. We haven't found a good all weather car camping tent yet so will be good to see what others suggest.

twall13

WKR
I went through a couple cheaper "family" tents before breaking down and spending the money on a Kodiak canvas tent. It doesn't have a divider like you wanted but it's been a fantastic car camping tent for family trips. The canvas breathes really well and the interior doesn't heat up as much in hot temperatures. Some of the silnylon tents are like an oven in the sun.

I'm not sure what your budget or needs are but the Kodiak tents might be worth looking into.

REI Basecamp 6. Have had it for 14 years, two kids, wife and dog all inside. Have withstood heavy winds, snow and thunderstorms without a problem. It is not cheap but worth the money.

tttoadman

WKR
I have the REI Kingdom 6 with the garage. I think these are pretty storm worthy. The separate rooms are great. A little touchy to put up with one person, but easy with 2.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I like the look of that one (Basecamp). We have the REI Hobitat 6 and it really lacks enough stake and guy out spots. The walls are almost straight and the wind catches it like a sail. Had the whole tent lift off in 30mph winds in New Mexico.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would go with a canvas wall tent. You could always hang sheets or something to section it up if you wanted. I have a 14x16 and have considered getting another 14x16 to run right up against my current one for the whole family camping.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I use the Cabelas Bighorn for family camping trips. The nice thing is it doubles for a good hunting tent too with the stove Jack for a wood burner. As far as a divider... get the vestibule and throw the kids in there and zip them out of the main tent!

Titan_Bow

WKR
image.jpgI've had an REI Base Camp 6, about 6 or 7 years now. It's been a great tent. You do need to be a little cautious with it in high winds, say over 30 mph. However, I just replaced it with a Turbo Tent from Black Pine Sports. I'll use it as base camp for winter and fall deer hunts, as well as family camping in the summer. The turbo tent is probably one of the coolest tents I've ever owned. Super quality, great in high winds, really has it all

Last edited:

efnm

WKR
Kodiak canvas tent! They are easy to setup and bomb proof if you make sure to dry them out after any wet trips. I have 2 sets of cam-o-cots and can fit 4 in style. I think mine is the 10*14, whatever the biggest is.

LandYacht

WKR
REI Basecamp 6. Have had it for 14 years, two kids, wife and dog all inside. Have withstood heavy winds, snow and thunderstorms without a problem. It is not cheap but worth the money.
We've got 4 kids and 3 dogs and have used the sane tent for 8 years. That's after getting it for $10 from an REI garage sale with bent poles. Thing can't be broken, have had it in crazy winds and it's blown around, but keeps on trucking.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Tradguy

FNG
Canvas wall tent is a great choice, I also use the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 man tent for a base camp or when car camping. Get the aluminum poles and its a really sturdy setup.

Gabe

blackdawg

WKR
Kodiak Canvas Flexbow VX is the one you want if you are camping in warmer weather for the ventilation. Works during cooler weather also if you close the vents. Can almost be turned into a screen room on really warm days. I put a couple of the bunkbed cots in it also, works slick and allows for place to store your gear. For ease of setup and takedown the flexbow is hard to beat IMHO. I think there is one similar called the springbar. For cold or cold, wet weather with my family, the Arctic Oven with the vented propane stove is what I use, a little overkill most of the time, but heat in the tent keeps the cold natured wife happy. I dumped the fifth wheel pain in the rear camper for these two tents and feel that I have a very mobile system for all four seasons anywhere I can get the truck or four wheelers, with small investment. I can put the tents up rather quickly by myself and tear them down quickly also. Buy once and cry once with tents also, I had a Barney's Bombshelter that lasted for 22 years with probably 300 nights camped in it and remained in excellent condition. My buddies thought I had flipped when I dropped the coin back in 1993 on that tent, would still be using it if the family hadn't grown as much.

Last edited:
Never be w/o a big ass tarp!

For years we used a couple cheap coleman tents and just pulled a huge ass poly tarp over them when the rains came. Never got wet in some 25yrs of outdoor life with my wife and kids. Tent for the kids and a tent for us. And the tarp was big enough that we could guy line it up in front and create enough cover to cook and sit under. Certainly saved our butts on many a rainey weekend that had everyone else packing up to go home.

Now we have a camper and canvas wall tent (Beckel TT 14x14), but the tarp is still included in the must pack list.
Never be w/o a big ass tarp!
Hunt'nFish

WyoElk

WKR

Same here, been a great tent for us over the years

Kodiak Canvas if you're gonna use it for several years...in all types of conditions. Their are some cool options like this Wing Vestibule for 10 x 10 ft
Flex-bow tent.

Wing_Vestibule_wb__69053.1432270679.1280.1280.jpg

92xj

WKR
Hard to beat the Kodiak Canvas. I use mine all year from 100 degree days in the desert to single digits in snow for late season basecamps. A truck tent for sure as you won't be packing it anywhere, but does compress nicely and fit in the vehicle great. I did a few mods to make mine a little more enjoyable but as they come new, they are amazing.