Best energy drink for long drive ahead

Getting ready for my long drive from New Orleans to Chama, NM. Looking forward to it, but need some suggestions on what you use to keep you awake and alert while driving long hours. I am not a coffee drinker, so I am thinking something like 5 hour energy, Monster Energy, Rock Star, etc. What have you used that helps keeps you wide awake and not "riding the rumblestrip"?
The first 12 hours are great due to the excitement of the adventure that lies ahead, but it is hard to stay alert for the whole drive.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I'm driving long distances like that straight through, I always try to leave at night so my last 12+ hours on the road are during daylight. That helps a ton with staying alert and awake. But my drink of choice is coffee. Any of the others you mentioned with caffeine should work fine.

Bar

Banned
I'm a retired truck driver, so I understand the problem. Take speed................just kidding. I would try the 5 hour. It works pretty good and you don't have to drink those horrible tasting energy drinks.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Nuun hydration Energy series tablet. They are 30 mg of caffeine with some similar B vitamins to a 5 hour energy. They are easy to pack along and add to a water bottle.

That said, Nothing beats the hot drink from coffee in the morning.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
+1 on leave at night, strain the eyes when you are fresh and have a hot beverage. Darkness after a long haul is when I start feeling sloppy. I drive back to MI 2x a year from CO, I know the routine.

I start with coffee but for the rest of the time I like an unsweetened tea for a more even alertness. I like audiobooks or podcasts to keep myself entertained. Also I like chewing sunflower seeds to pass the time too but I'll only take a pinch of them every 20mi or so otherwise my mouth gets too raw from the salt.

Coffee, water and leaving an hour or two early anticipating pulling over for a nap at a rest stop..... If you get that tired to the point of dozy driving and hitting rumble strips you're likely at or more harmful than a .08 BAC. Maybe I'm getting old but I find myself alot more likely now to catch a quick 1/2 hour nap at one of DOT's fine rest stops before picking up a heart attack in a can....

Bar

Banned
5Hour is no more a heart attack than a cup of coffee. As a matter of fact. 5Hour has 200mg of caffeine. A tall cup of coffee is 260gr of caffeine.

Even extra strength 5Hour is only 230gr of caffeine.

TFP

FNG
sunflower seeds are just what the dr ordered for me. I've done some very long drives and they make all of the difference in the world.

5Hour is no more a heart attack than a cup of coffee. As a matter of fact. 5Hour has 200mg of caffeine. A tall cup of coffee is 260gr of caffeine.

Even extra strength 5Hour is only 230gr of caffeine.

I was specifically thinking of redbull, monster, etc.... never looked into 5hr

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
Nuun Energy tabs. Will save you a bunch of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericF

WKR
Another vote for sunflower seeds. You can only do so much caffeine before you start getting that weird feeling. Sunflower seeds will keep you awake without the side effects. I would not recommend the old style Davidsons seeds as they are to strong on the salt, and will burn your mouth if you eat enough. The Spitz variety is great and not overly salty and they have tons of flavors.

As to the energy drinks, the main ingredient in all of them keeping you awake is caffeine. It is recommended that you not have more than 400mg of caffeine in a day, but every person reacts differently to caffeine.

WoodBow

WKR
Monsters have 160mg of caffeine. I have drank them since they first came out. I drink 2 a day lots of days. No they are not good for you. Neither is coke. All things in moderation. Im lean, fit, and like caffeine.

Bar

Banned
Truth is, I use this product. Just one gets me through the day of a long hunt/scout. That's the only time I use it. I don't get the jitters from it like I do with coffee. I still drink coffe, but I make it pretty weak. I enjoy a cup in the morning. That's the only time I drink it.

These pills are much easier than taking the drinks. I keep a couple in my pocket all the time.

Energize The All-Day Energy Pill

+1 leaving in the middle of the night.
+1 NUUN w/water
+1 audiobooks. Also learning to love the TuneIn app for football/baseball games.
&
+1 naps and walks. I can only sit for about four to six hours before I need to stretch out a bit and I'm an excellent power napper.

LitenFast

WKR
+1 again on leaving at night,
also when I used to chew, putting a big dip in always kept me awake, it's tempting to buy a can when I leave Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deepshax

WKR
coffee, audiobooks, and a quick nap when those road reflectors start to look like car lights.