So do I want a bino harness

So don't currently use one. Have had the cheaper crooked horn version and maybe another one at some point. I like simplicity and function. Don't like complicated stuff. The simpler the better. Having said that I am thinking of one of the FHF or Alaska creations unit. I have and use 8x42 mostly. Might use a 10x max.
Any thoughts or recommendations. Used is good too.

Also, not looking to attach to a pack. At least that is my initial thought if that matters. .

kodiakfly

WKR
I've used both of those and use the Alaska Guide now. Simple, but most importantly, comfortable and quality. Either of those will suit you well. I went with the AGC because I like the buckle and the extra pockets for survival gear because I know it'll always be with me, even if I drop my pack.

OP
Thanks Kodiak, I appreciate your first hand knowledge. Which model do you have?

rbljack

WKR
Ive been struggling with this one as well. Not sure about the chest packs...but I keep coming back to the idea. I may try the Alaskan Guide Creations with the basement pocket for a season and try it. Just got to figure out what size I need that will hold either 10x42, or 10x50's. Probably going to get the Vortex razor line, or swaro SLC.

I really like my Alaska Guide CUB with max basement pocket. The pockets hold survival gear, gps, cell phone, rangefinder, etc. Super comfortable and always attached to me. After trying the Badlands, Sitka, KUIU, and a HPG Recon Kit Bag I'm completely sold on the AGC and don't see myself changing to a different Bino harness for quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought the AG CUB and love it. Only one I have tried, but don't see me trying anything else because this does everything I want. Has never been an issue shooting my bow with it.

Hall256

WKR
I have the AGC Cub, but I opted for the one without the "basement"...which was a bad choice. If you get an AGC, which I would highly recommend, choose the one with the extra space. The reason, the side pockets (at least to me) were deceptively small and I was not able to put the things in there that I wanted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hall256

WKR
the 'basement' ain't got all that much room in it either..... tough to fit a leica or sig rangefinder in
Yep...I ended up getting a FHN range finder case, it fits well on the harness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Had an FHF gear and then went to a ACG harness. Didn't like the size of the ACG, felt way too bulky. Went back to FHF Gear. It's personal preference really. For about two hours I used an old bino harness from cabelas, but couldn't handle the flopping around.

daddie63

WKR
I would have to agree with Felix40. I've been through quite a few harnesses myself and so far I'm really digging this one. Plus the owner is a cool dude. I've been in touch with him since my purchase just talking about hunting and whatnot. Definitely worth checking out Marsupial gear.

LaHunter

WKR
I have the fhf bino harness and I have been very happy with it. It provides good protection for my 10X42 binos, it keeps the binos secure to my chest with zero flopping or movement, and it is low profile. When I am hiking I don't even know it's there.
Another thing I like about the fhf harness is that the binos are attached to the harness with quick detach buckle/clips.

16Bore

WKR
Can't say I'm a fan of any of them. Kinda like carrying a rifle case in the woods in my opinion. But they are mainstream cool nowadays. Cross-Your-Heart Bra is about as easy as it gets.

And for the young'uns, that was a bra the gals wore way back in the day on their boobies

wyosteve

WKR
I also used a Crooked Horn style until this year. I bought an Alaska Guide KISS. Tried it out on my elk hunt and have to say I didn't care for it. I found it to be bulky and kind of clumsy having to pull the binos out and stuff them back in every time I wanted to use it. Just to be clear, this is not a knock on Alaska Guide, because it is a high quality product. It's just my comment on bino packs in general.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I was never a fan of the idea and pretty much thought they were ridiculous. Then I tried one and I have been using it ever since. I've been very happy not having my binos bouncing when I hike and staying clean and dry. I use the FHF and really like how sleek it is. I keep saying I'm going to grab an Alaska Guide Creations harness and try it but I haven't gotten around to it.

Seems to me that I would prefer the FHF for archery and the AGC for rifle hunting since it has more room for my shooting gear.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It is super lightweight and simple. The problem is that it doesn't protect the binoculars well. After 6 years of using this my monarchs are beat up. When I upgrade glass and spend $1000 I will buy this to bino pack to protect that investment in glass.

MARSUPIAL GEAR BINOCULAR PACK | Marsupial Gear

Those look good. Almost exactly the same design as the FHF but the main flap opens in the opposite direction. I think most people would prefer it that way.

Gumbo

WKR
FHF with the rangefinder pouch for me. Works great and is less bulky than AGC, although the pockets on the AGC might be nice...