The 'New' generation and the 'Web o Net'

elkduds

WKR
How about this? Make a pledge to donate @ least 10% of what you spend on hunting each year to organizations that advocate for public lands and hunting access. If you already do that, THANK YOU.

My theory about spending big on hunting is that it is a way to keep your head in hunting mode all year long. Like forums, except forums are free.

dotman

WKR
How did you get I was judging anyone's financial situation? I thought it was pretty clear I was only judging mine. God Bless

This I guess made me think it.

"I just wander how other people can and, how they justify it with their spouses and kids. I understand some of us has acquired nice stuff over time. But, that doesn't fit everyone or even most that seem to post here. This is happening everyday."

Last edited:

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I am not as old as Brad but, I've been around hunting and doing it for 35 years. Times are different.

I never hunted Colorado before 2006. But, I have hunted here and else where long before that. The older Ive gotten, the less time and money I have had to do the things I love. So, I am glad there is an excess of aides to help now.

However, I think Brad is referring to something different. Look at the classifieds here. Daily, someone is selling he latest and greatest tech clothes. The ones that make you hunt harder and stay longer. Look in the clothing section. Guys talk about dropping $2000 on an outfit to see if they like it. After saying they dropped $2000 last year on an outfit. It cracks me up. I read a thread the other day where a guy was asking which sitka jacket he needed for his back packing trip. He said he had used a different one last year but, wanted to know if this one was better. What he named he had bought but, was unsatisfied with cost $1400. He was fixing on dropping another $500 on what some else was telling him was a better fit for his situation. That blows my mind. I can get on Ebay and order a polyester spandex baselayer shirt for $8 TMD. Cold gear substitute compression shirt for $11 TMD. In other words, i have the same stuff the brand chasers have, except I bought it all for what they paid for a light jacket and ants set. To only sell because they were unsatisfied. It blows my mind.

I guess I too wonder about what it is like to spend $3000 a year on hunting clothes, to buy a $3000 spotter, to have a $400 tripod, $2500 bino's $1500 of bow and accessory's. $800 pack. $450 boots. $800 sleeping bag. etc.. I have made a lot of money at certain times in my life but, I could never afford to do that on top of hunt costs. I just wander how other people can and, how they justify it with their spouses and kids. I understand some of us has acquired nice stuff over time. But, that doesn't fit everyone or even most that seem to post here. This is happening everyday. Heck, I was reading a bike thread a wee ago and guys were talking about buying a $2500 bike like it was a flashlight. Blows my mind and makes me realize I must have really missed the boat. God Bless

I love all the tech gear-heads, all thier 1 year old, like new gear ends up on Rokslide's classifieds, often well below 1/2 off. I recently picked up a nice/mint FL Uncompaghre jacket for $110.00 - retail is over $250.00. I have set myself up with a pretty nice set of clothes and gear for not a lot of $$ by just being patient and striking when a good deal presents itself. - thanks gear-heads! And remember everyone, every new camo pattern that comes out is always way superior to all the previous patterns. So, Ill be happy to to snatch up all that crappy Fusion and Cypher gear you have, cause I'm sure First Lite will soon be out with a new and improved pattern very soon and that old stuff just won't cut it anymore.

Last edited:

NDGuy

WKR
297.png

^^ THE most prophetic comment in the whole thread...Oh, and guilty as charged.

Yup ! me too as a retired Cop, I can tell you I gripe and complain about those kids out there doin' it now but don't get me wrong I'll stand next to them any day to help hold up the line.

I don't want to run anyone down, we need to stick together and lift each other up. Man, this internet posting thing...the written word, doesn't really convey tone and intention like talking face to face but it's the best we can do for now I guess.

Anyhow, speaking for myself and technology, I tried trail camera's and thought it was fun, until they got stolen..lol.. but you know a part of me really doesn't want to know "what's out there" I don't try and kill the biggest buck, heck I'll kill a doe everyday of the week and twice on Sunday because that's what I am out there for. If a nice buck gives me an opportunity I'll do my best to kill him. But I won't pass up something nice or even legal for a big un that might not show up. I think we all need to hunt within the limits of the law and we should do it in whatever way we see fit. If you want to run camera's every 50 feet and stare at Google earth go for it.

hodgeman

WKR
I don't remember the "good old days" as being all that good.

I shivered my ass off in wet milsurp BDUs or Levis, camping in a crappy tent, and sleeping in a junk sleeping bag. Even the "best quality" backpacking and hunting gear of the 1970s (which I couldn't afford anyway) by modern standards... was complete crap.

Nostalgia aside (of which I'm old enough to have some), I like having good gear that keeps me warm, dry and doesn't weigh a metric ton.

I also think that the Interwebz serve a purpose, many of the new generation of hunters grew up without Dad..or at least a Dad in the house teaching the kid how to be an outdoorsman. The blather on the net isn't a replacement for Dad's tutelage..but it's better than nothing.

Bar

Banned
I don't remember the "good old days" as being all that good.

I shivered my ass off in wet milsurp BDUs or Levis, camping in a crappy tent, and sleeping in a junk sleeping bag. Even the "best quality" backpacking and hunting gear of the 1970s (which I couldn't afford anyway) by modern standards... was complete crap.

Nostalgia aside (of which I'm old enough to have some), I like having good gear that keeps me warm, dry and doesn't weigh a metric ton.

I also think that the Interwebz serve a purpose, many of the new generation of hunters grew up without Dad..or at least a Dad in the house teaching the kid how to be an outdoorsman. The blather on the net isn't a replacement for Dad's tutelage..but it's better than nothing.

Not sure why? You had wool available long before your old days.

This I guess made me think it.

"I just wander how other people can and, how they justify it with their spouses and kids. I understand some of us has acquired nice stuff over time. But, that doesn't fit everyone or even most that seem to post here. This is happening everyday."

I can piece together fragments of comments to fit any agenda I want too if that were my intent.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The web can hurt as much as it can help. You have to take it with a grain of salt until you prove what you read in the field.

No you don't need new or better gear. I buy what improves my comfort, allows me to see whats out there.

Affording gear, is extremely difficult if on a fixed income. Everyone I know has a way to make more than their 40hr check. I spend half of my extra on gear, fortunately this year has been very lucrative. It won't always be like that.

I can't speak for everyone but I find time and money to go into the field hard to come by. Why? Cost of living, kid's activities, wife spent the last five years going to school while working full time. Try getting in and out of Denver on a weekend, it's like practice for the apocalypse.

Someone mentioned "you have it or you don't" I don't, not sure my partner has it either. We would be horrible solo hunters but together we get it done. The web may not make us great hunters but it helps to at least give me a false hope :). Shoot I'm just happy to play the game, I don't need to win.

I'm not sure if the new generation is trying to reinvent or just make it their's. We all do things a little different than our elders. It's a different world than years ago which probably requires new methods to achieve the same goal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Grumbling about younger generations is as old as time itself.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

-Socrates (469-399 B.C.)

To the OP, you are just not original.