The 'New' generation and the 'Web o Net'

cnelk

WKR
I was just talking to my buddy today and its becoming really apparent that the new generation of hunters are trying to 're-invent' the sport.
Just because they hear or read about something on the Web o Net, it must be new.

Everything from gear, and tactics to knowledge of the animals.

But guess what...

It aint new.
How the hell you think some of us old guys killed 100s of animals while most here were still trying to hit Cheerios in the toilet :)

Think about it, high dollar bows, range finders, high dollar gear, accessories, game cameras, phone scopes, aerial photos [and the list goes on] and the overall success rate has stayed pretty much the same as it always has.

Ever wonder about that?

I was just talking to my buddy today and its becoming really apparent that the new generation of hunters are trying to 're-invent' the sport.
Just because they hear or read about something on the Web o Net, it must be new.

But guess what...

It aint new.
How the hell you think some of us old guys killed 100s of animals while most here were still trying to hit Cheerios in the toilet :)

Think about it, high dollar bows, range finders, high dollar gear, accessories, game cameras, phone scopes, aerial photos [and the list goes on] and the overall success rate has stayed pretty much the same as it always has.

Ever wonder about that?

Over thinking this maybe?

Simple answer: A fool and his money are soon parted.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
Man, you are insufferable with this success rate theory. Do you want a nomination to the hunting hall of fame too? Its not like hunting in 2017 is without its challenges. Time and disposable income don't seem to be as abundant as they once were, how can you blame anyone for using tech to be more efficient.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I think you're confusing me with others that promote podcasts, and have gear to sell

KurtR

WKR
I have killed lots of stuff with my old hand me downs i am just more comfortable now not having bread sacks in my boots to keep my feet dry.

530Chukar

WKR
Hunters using technology to their advantage has been going on since the beginning of time. From the days of the Indians with bows and arrows to firearms to optics. It's hunting technology is constantly evolving as do the animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
"Ever wonder about that? "

Nope, no time for that.

I was thinking "not really", but your answer works too.

I think more about the increase in masses that keep pouring into Colorado every year.......both to live here, and just to hunt. This past 52 year allure with Colorado is wearing off very quickly for me.

dotman

WKR
Yup and if there was internet and social media 35 years ago guess what, your generation would have done exactly the same with it as is happening now. Big deal, if people are trying to make a $$ off of it, didn't you start a web forum at one point? How is that different?

Bar

Banned

But guess what...

It aint new.

Ever wonder about that?

I haven't thought of it much Brad, but I bet it's a many reasons and none of them point to modern gear not making it easier.

The first one that pops up is old timers worked harder at it.
More game.
Less hunters
The whole state could be hunted on one tag.

What's hard is using old gear and methods in today's hunting. I know, i've done it both ways and i'll take the old days anytime.

Beendare

WKR
Personally, hunting for me is a way to simplify, relax and get away from it all and get back to nature...but it seems to me there is room in hunting for many different individual goals.

I do think its kind of funny with some of the 'new, latest and greatest' must have stuff. Take Broadheads for example, there are a few "New" designs popping up every year....when in reality they aren't any better than designs that are hundreds of years old.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Take Broadheads for example, there are a few "New" designs popping up every year....when in reality they aren't any better than designs that are hundreds of years old.

Ya, but the best way to determine this is to shoot them through an animal and see first hand whether they work well or not. And that's the fun part anyway. I've pretty much figured out what works and doesn't work for me, but I still like trying new stuff.......especially BH's. The last 6 elk I've shot were with 6 different types of BH's. And hopefully this year will be the 7th different BH as I'm trying the Killzones for the first time.

novcie870

WKR
I have a 16 year old son who is smack dab in the middle of this generation, and all the things that come with it. I struggled at first, mainly because it was different from how I had always done it. But one day it really landed on me that while it may be different than how I did it, my son was still out there for the same reasons that I was. He hunts to be with family (primarily me!), for the thrill of the hunt, and for the lifestyle that comes with it. I don't get instagoogleface either, nor the desire to have the next greatest ____, but he navigates it really well...with integrity and humility. I have come to realize that just like my dad's generation, every generation is going to be critical at first of change. But, hopefully after some humility of their own, will come to see that in the end, the fact that the next generation has picked up the mantle of hunting and conservation, albeit different than how we did it, is whats most important...not necessarily doing it the way we did, but doing it well. Just my $0.02.

Brad, instead of coming off like your bitching and moaning, why not step up to the plate and pass alone some of those skills, knowledge and improve so new-generation (which there are less and less of) abilities in the areas that actually count.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Things move forward and change, that is the one constant. I for one am in total agreement, that if the internet, social media, high tech equipment, and all the stuff we have today, were available 30 years ago, the vast majority of people would have flocked to it then, as they do now... I will point out my one pet peeve though, especially as it relates to social media... I am always getting friend suggestions from folks on facebook or instagram, whose page is full of damn-near professional quality photography with them packing out a deer, or holding up a huge trout, or standing on a mountain bugling. You then go to their page, and scroll, and quickly see posts like "So blessed to catch my first trout" or "my first deer hunt was a success!" Those pages imply they are experienced outdoors enthusiasts, but in reality, they are just getting started...

novcie870

WKR
Things move forward and change, that is the one constant. I for one am in total agreement, that if the internet, social media, high tech equipment, and all the stuff we have today, were available 30 years ago, the vast majority of people would have flocked to it then, as they do now... I will point out my one pet peeve though, especially as it relates to social media... I am always getting friend suggestions from folks on facebook or instagram, whose page is full of damn-near professional quality photography with them packing out a deer, or holding up a huge trout, or standing on a mountain bugling. You then go to their page, and scroll, and quickly see posts like "So blessed to catch my first trout" or "my first deer hunt was a success!" Those pages imply they are experienced outdoors enthusiasts, but in reality, they are just getting started...

The thing I try to encourage my son with is to stay humble. You don't want to misrepresent yourself. Its the reason my handle on this and other forums is "Novice870"...(misspelled here though!). I've been hunting for 30 years, but I still consider myself a learner and a beginner (a novice). I think the challenge when you are motivated to go post everything you did in the field on line is that it is very easy to oversell and misrepresent yourself. No amount of likes is worth your integrity. Some of the stuff my son shows me on Instagram is obvious misrepresentation for sure.

elkyinzer

WKR
I think you're confusing me with others that promote podcasts, and have gear to sell

Just ragging on you. I am one of the few young ones on this paleolithic version of social media, so I have to be a little insulted and stick up for my generation.

Here's how I see it: I don't think tech has changed me as a whitetail hunter, even though I am younger, because I've been in the woods just tagging along since 4 years old and my dad and grandpap taught me everything I know. Grew up immersed in it. I just know how to hunt and read the woods. It's instinctual to put it simply.

On the flip side, and this is a positive thing for the sport by the way, tech can really shorten the learning curve. I am sorry to say this, the curmudgeons don't like to hear this, but it is true....if a guy is studious and lives with some early mistakes, using the internet as a resource and modern gear he or she can become a stone cold killer in no time. Sorry those guys are now running around your elk grounds.

However, I am not sure that I would have elk hunted in your state either, without the internet as a resource, at least not without an outfitter a time or two. Just the resource that it provides is incredibly powerful. Maps, videos, articles, message boards, I spend hours and hours researching elk hunting. And again, sorry this is crowding your hunting grounds, but it's just a fact that has to be accepted. Our ancestors wiped out elk from most of our region, so as long as we can't fully repopulate the East, there is going to be high demand for elk hunts.

Finally, I think, no I know, the success rate statistics you cite are flawed. First, no one trusts the states' data collecting as valid. Crap in, crap out...junk data makes junk stats. Second, you would really need to look at more detailed data analysis than just a broad success rate to really see that I think hunting has become easier in some ways.