New Truck, Talk to me about the newer diesels vs gas 3/4 to 1 ton long bed pickups

Daniel_M

WKR
After you own a diesel truck you will never go back to a gas truck.

This.

I've had zero maintenance costs minus fuel, oils and filters in almost 100K miles between 2 Duramax trucks. If I had the baller cash, Id be all over a new Ford Platinum, the cab space is crazy.

Schism

WKR
This debate has been going on forever and likely won't end anytime soon. I've had several 3/4 and 1 ton gas and diesel pickups since 2000. Unless you tow commercially as a hot shot trucker or rancher I can't see how a diesel will ever cost less to own than a gas engine. That being said, I currently own a 2014 Powerstroke and have (knock on wood) had good luck in the 68k miles I've put on it. I didn't buy the pickup because it made the most financial sense. I bought it because I couldn't stand the 5 mpg from the gas pickup I had and the short fuel range when I did tow. Hearing that engine wind up to 5k+ rpms just to keep 55 mph on uphill grades drove me crazy! With the diesel I can pull my skid steer with the cruise set at 75, maintain that speed, and not have to turn the radio up to hear it....so for me it boiled down to convenience and luxury over sound finances.

I own a 2003 Dodge with the Cummins and a 5 speed manual transmission. It has 340,000 miles on it. I feel the drive train will out last the body. In the 8 years I've owned it, I've spent a total of $5-6,000 dollars on repairs. Keep in mind. I do all my own reapirs. It's on it second set of injectors, third clutch, and third set of ball joints, and about a dozen u joints. This last time on the rear u joints, I installed a driveshaft from a 5500. No problems since. I've also changed over to manual locking hubs on the front. Now I can repack the front wheel bearings.

My point is, yes, there is an added cost up front to owning a diesel. From my standpoint though, the length of service, or the miles you put on it will reach farther than the payment book. Unless your one of those people that has to have a payment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

After you own a diesel truck you will never go back to a gas truck. Especially towing like you say that you do. The ford 6.7 powerstroke is a fantastic engine and the new ford superduty trucks are very nice. The only downside to a diesel is the increased purchase cost and the increase in maintenance cost. I had a powerstroke that I sold to buy a brand new F-150. I kept the F150 a few months and purchased another powerstroke. I dont believe that I will ever be happy in another gas truck. If you do purchase a new diesel the first thing that you need to do is delete the DEF, DPF, and EGR systems. The truck will get a lot better fuel mileage and you will avoid three separate costly problems.

Really? I can't wait until I can sell my fleet and equipment, retire and drive a cushy 1/2 ton around. I absolutely hate my diesels. If they weren't an absolute necessity I'd be all gas. I don't believe a $55k (or higher) truck should have the issues these do.

I just bought a 2015 f250 Crew cab long bed 4x4 with 6.2 gasser. I could not justify the higher price tag of a diesel. If towed real heavy loads on a daily basis then I would get a diesel. But, I pull a 6500lb camper 8-10x a year and then small trailers the rest of the time. My truck get a 13.5 mpg around town, 14-15 on highway. Towing my camper it gets 9mpg in the mtns and 10-10.5 going to the beach. I know a diesel will,get better mpg but not enough for me to justify the $10k (or more) price increase.

TWGator

FNG
Really? I can't wait until I can sell my fleet and equipment, retire and drive a cushy 1/2 ton around. I absolutely hate my diesels. If they weren't an absolute necessity I'd be all gas. I don't believe a $55k (or higher) truck should have the issues these do.

This is how I feel, if I didn't need a diesel for hauling and just wanted something for day to day, I'd be in an F150. Then again my truck is off-road a lot and in bumpy pastures and has 170,000 miles on it so it doesn't ride as good as it used to. If your mostly hauling on long trips, the diesel is great but for comfort of just getting around, im a 1/2 ton gas guy

Beendare

WKR
Some experienced opinions above- good stuff

FWIW, I've owned diesels and gas pickups for 40 years...plus diesel and gas in my bigger trucks [F450,550, Hino's] and went from a chevy diesel to a gas tundra for my daily driver- both great trucks.

Its simple, if you are always towing the diesel is a no brainer....if you aren't then its a tougher decision.

One of each at our house.....the F350 powerstroke gets the truck camper, heavy hauling and towing duties and the F150 with the 5 liter V-8 is the "grocery getter". Both 2015s and both get 20 mpg empty on the highway. The diesel cost about $17,000 more, but is fancier and a crew versus a king cab. I do like the +600 mile highway cruising range on the F150 with the bigger tank...34 gallons vs 25 gallons or so on the diesel. Glad to hear in the above posts some of the new Ford diesels are getting bigger tanks, hopefully with the short box version.

I actually prefer driving the diesel on longer trips as the seats are more comfortable for me......and you can't beat the torque. Good luck with your decision.

hodgeman

WKR
The small fuel tanks they're sticking in these smaller trucks drives me nuts... my 2015 Tundra, 5.7 engine, 10k+ tow rating.... and a 26 gal tank.

It gets 10-12 towing my camper setup which means the range is just about the distance between gas stations up here... I spend all summer and fall with 2-3 jerry cans in the back. Next truck will have a 34 gal tank...don't care which brand.

dotman

WKR
The small fuel tanks they're sticking in these smaller trucks drives me nuts... my 2015 Tundra, 5.7 engine, 10k+ tow rating.... and a 26 gal tank.

It gets 10-12 towing my camper setup which means the range is just about the distance between gas stations up here... I spend all summer and fall with 2-3 jerry cans in the back. Next truck will have a 34 gal tank...don't care which brand.

No crap!!! Only thing by I dislike about my Titan diesel is the stupid small 26gal tank, 12k tow rated and designed to tow but yeah let's put a tiny tank in it. Of course they offer an upgraded 50gal that costs are puns $3k installed.

hodgeman

WKR
No crap!!! Only thing by I dislike about my Titan diesel is the stupid small 26gal tank, 12k tow rated and designed to tow but yeah let's put a tiny tank in it. Of course they offer an upgraded 50gal that costs are puns $3k installed.

Is that one of the auxiliary "in bed" tanks or is it a factory installation?

I sell my Ram 1500s after 15 yrs or 170,000 miles, which ever comes first. Just sold my 2009 for a 4X4 ecodiesel. Like the extra mileage when offroad.

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

BAKFlip MX4.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

[video=youtube;0-jNhzTS9cY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jNhzTS9cY[/video]

[video=youtube;q_ijoCm5AoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ijoCm5AoI[/video]

Last edited:
I sell my Ram 1500s after 15 yrs or 170,000 miles, which ever comes first. Just sold my 2009 for a 4X4 ecodiesel. Like the extra mileage when offroad.

View attachment 54984

View attachment 54985

View attachment 54986

View attachment 54987

View attachment 54988

[video=youtube;0-jNhzTS9cY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jNhzTS9cY[/video]

[video=youtube;q_ijoCm5AoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ijoCm5AoI[/video]
Is that carpet in the bed? How does it handle gravel, mulch and blood?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

xziang

WKR
I can't offer any input on towing a big trailer but when I saw you were in PA and traveling to WY/CO etc (long road trips) I would rather have a diesel than a gas. I have two good friends that are dodge fans and one a ford fan. (diesels) They love them however like others have said the newer emissions is a pain and once out of warranty ditch it.

The diesel SHOULD last longer and also have a better retail price too but obviously cost is a big chunk of change. Let us know what you decide to go with.

Side note I've got a newer Tacoma for trips and hunting.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't touch a new diesel with a 50ft pole ( out of warranty that is ). the New emissions systems are ridiculous- the time bomb starts ticking the minute you drive it off the lot. If you look at a system designed to run DEF, its insanity... If you go diesel go 07 or older pre emissions.

I would say get a gas truck- for what its worth, all the logging camps that run crumbies up here seem to run ford fleets, and they get pounded like no other but if you like jean shorts, mullets, and kin a chevy may be what your after!

Mike.

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
For towing you cannot beat the diesel power, the torque just can't be denied. The added cost of the diesel from the factory is there, the extra maintenance cost as well. From a money stand point they cost extra, but if you plan on keeping one for a while you will get that money back on resale or trade vs a gas truck. Emissions is a problem, but there are delete kits. If you use a diesel truck right, your chances of having emissions issues are slim. They are made to work not drive 5 minutes to your office and be turned off. If you have one with emissions, you have to run it and use it. If it sits and idles or doesn't get up to operating temp, your gonna have some issues.

I have been in a diesel for over 10 years now, and will never go back to a gas. I get way to good of mileage, have 500hp/1100tq at the rear wheels to tow, have tons of room in my mega cab, and have had ZERO issues out of either of my dodges. The front end problems didn't get me on my 2006 and so far so good on my 2014. I do enjoy my wifes Yukon XL with a 6.2 gas in it. GM's 6.2 is no joke in the power department and does unreal on mileage for a school bus, but I like the torque, I can't lie. Go drive some trucks and see what you think, look for rebates, sales, and financing specials if you go that route.

Last edited: