What's your Dream Hunt?

I have too many to list. I used to think they were just a dream with little to no chance of ever happening. The stars have aligned and I've been fortunate to realize several of them over the past 5-7 years. My next dream hunt begins in just 2 days and I cannot wait to experience it. Truly something I never would have planned on happening, but time/location and opportunity all collided.

The best advice I've ever been given was "Plan the hunt of a lifetime, every year!". I've made many sacrifices to live up to that and I cannot say I am sorry or sad that I did. Tomorrow is not promised, make some memories while you can.

Agross

WKR
Although there are several animals I would love to hunt, number one for me, hands down, ELK! If every thing comes together , I will be chasing them for the first time next year. To say I can't wait is an understatement! That is actually how I originally discovered rokslide. Tons of knowledge and great people here.

JD619er

WKR
This is tough because I have many dreams! DIY mountain goat would be probably my top either that or caribou in the northern slope. I think it would be an amazing thing to see that migration with my own eyes....something not many people would ever have the chance to experience in person.

tuffcity

WKR
Seeing some of these dream hunts I'm again reminded how fortunate I've been to do a lot of them with boot leather and OTC tags (Stone & Dall sheep, Mtn goat, moose, elk, etc).

My top two dreams would be muskox with my recurve and Desert bighorn.

RC

... although I wouldn't turn down a Snow Sheep or Marco Polo either!

JP100

WKR
Too many to list for sure!
Next year have Ibex in Kazak planned which has been high on the list for a long time.
Ultimate animals would be Tahr/Blue sheep combo in Nepal and Markhor in Pakistan.
The true mountain hunts is what gets me.

Have been lucky enough to hunt Stones and Mt Goat as a guide/packer which were both high on the list.
To me being able to hunt a species(whether you shoot one your self or not) is what its really about.
You can 'hunt' with a camera and still have a great hunt.

Like Nick and Tuff say, some of us have been super fortunate to do some great hunts! We happen to live in great places with opportunities to hunt some “expensive” animals for the price of a resident license and a lot of work. I’ve arrowed 19 of the 29 on DIY hunts. A few more guided in my old age too. Sure fortunate. Pursue your dreams, you only go around once.

As per my dream hunt, it won’t happen......wooly mammoth with the Bow.

El Rojo

FNG
It used to just be whitetails. That’s all I ever really cared to hunt. The last 10 years or so the image of a big Youkon Moose grunting and swaggering in to my calls is playing itself over and over in my head. That’s kind of a pipe dream for a Texas boy that’s a long ways away from the Youkon, but God willing I will get there one day!

amp713

WKR
I want to do caribou, always had a weird draw to them...

But right now I'm going to focus on a big horn hunt. May be years before it ever becomes anything but that's the dream I'm chasing starting this year.

I want to do caribou, always had a weird draw to them...

But right now I'm going to focus on a big horn hunt. May be years before it ever becomes anything but that's the dream I'm chasing starting this year.

If trying to draw a tag, I wouldn't focus or spend too much of your energy on a bighorn. Apply wherever you can and focus on other things...then when you draw, begin to focus! Or, focus on saving 30K and go hunt them in Canada :) Good luck!

Merc

FNG
My dream hunts are Dall in the Brooks, Caribou on the slope, Moose with a bow, and Mt Goat on Kodiak. I'm fortunate with my current job to live anywhere and with that I pulled up and moved to Alaska this summer to chase those dreams.

CRAGGAR

FNG
Duck hunting one more time with my son Craig and my old yellow boxhead lab Ace.Best time ever being a dad and still have a hard time believing they are both gone.That would be my idea of heaven.

Luked

WKR
I've made many sacrifices to live up to that and I cannot say I am sorry or sad that I did. Tomorrow is not promised, make some memories while you can.

Some of the best advise I have seen in a while

VernAK

WKR
I'd settle for a quality hunt for late, prime canvasbacks. The hunts are out there but too far for 1 or 2 birds.

One more time I'd like to eat a roasted canvasback stuffed with wildrice/apples and glazed with orange juice.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
If we're dreaming, another ND deer season like I had growing up in the early 2000's would be at the top of my list. Tags were easy to get and everyone in the family and extended family usually had at least 1 tag. Opening weekend we'd all set off in different directions after a stop at the gas station for hot chocolate, hot pockets, and whatever local intel the station attendant and old farmers gathered around the front counter could pass on. Cruise roads and glass different hot spots for that big buck at first light, and then everyone would meet back up later in the morning and start making deer drives, pushing through miles and miles of tree rows, cattail sloughs, CRP fields, and anything else that looked like it would hold deer. At the end of the day after deer had been shot, we'd all gather at my uncle's place and skin/quarter deer, tell stories and tall tales about what we saw that day, and cut meat until our hands were too numb from the cold, then cut a little more, head to bed and do it all again the next day. I haven't been a part of that style of deer hunting for a good 10-12 years, but getting all the family together again would sure be fun. It's a complete 180 to the way I hunt now, mostly solo backpack style hunting, but it was really fun in its own way.

Looking at a more realistic "dream" that I am trying to figure out how to do in the next 10 years - dall sheep in Alaska

Takem

WKR
I'm pretty happy with the deer and elk hunting I've been doing. In 2005 my group hunted our Colorado unit for 3rd deer and elk with a combined 4 points for each hunter. It would take close to 20 points to get those two tags now and we stopped putting in for 3rd season a long time ago. It will never happen but it would be a dream to have either one of those tags again let alone the combo.