Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

robtattoo

WKR
Even then though, like I said, I'm not sure how much advantage it will have in the long run. The 5.56, 6x45 and HAM’R can do a hell of a lot, it seems.
Thanks!
Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more I figured that the TMK does literally everything I need. Hell, a .223 bolt gun has been my primary go-to for 90% of my hunting the last 5 or 6 years anyway!
6x45 is very much still on my radar & if the right deal in a barrel ever shows up, ol' Brownie will get some new parts installed. But for now, I'm not going waste energy, trying to chase one down.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
With my tikka in 30 nosler. A 210gr ablr going 3030fps. Bear was 50 yards, but rolled into a brush/blowdown canyon. I’m hoping some eager ravens take me to him.
Oh, and good luck with finding that bear. 👍 Let us know how it goes. 🤞

Choot

FNG
Classified Approved
Well after getting a scythe ti suppressor and reading thru this forum, I took some parts I had and ordered some more and put together a solo 300 blk for deer hunting. Not as light as some here, and mite swap some parts out, but here’s where I’m at now. Weighing in at 4lb 15oz

Attachments

• IMG_7806.jpeg
    IMG_7806.jpeg
    526.1 KB · Views: 31
Well after getting a scythe ti suppressor and reading thru this forum, I took some parts I had and ordered some more and put together a solo 300 blk for deer hunting. Not as light as some here, and mite swap some parts out, but here’s where I’m at now. Weighing in at 4lb 15oz
If you want to ditch the buttpad on that stock for some hypalon, lemme know and I can send you some.

Taudisio

WKR
Oh, and good luck with finding that bear. 👍 Let us know how it goes. 🤞
I gave her hell. No luck. I had two ravens circle, see me and they spooked off. I thought I caught a wiff of him, but still no dice. Sucks. I’ll go back in there next Friday and have the birds take me to him. I’ll put my tag on it and get a cool skull at the least.

On the other note…..6x45 functioned flawlessly! Recoil was about the same as the 5.56, but I had minimum loads made up with a slow velocity powder. I really wanted to get the rounds down the tube to check my brass with the comparator to see how small I actually sized them. I was nervous because I bought a bucket of once fired brass from local LE for $1.95/lb (250 pieces for $5.30) I made 3 samples of LC, Fed, and AAC brass. No pressure signs. Next step it to pick a brand and do some ocw testing! Go figure I hit the chain on my portable steel plate the first shot, but got it roughly sighted in offhand at 50 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_3254.jpeg
    IMG_3254.jpeg
    688.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3258.jpeg
    IMG_3258.jpeg
    815.8 KB · Views: 21

Taudisio

WKR
I realized I pushed the shoulder back farther than I would like to reload, so I made up 100 rounds, with 10 to pressure test. I had some powder I wasn’t interested in using from 2014, and some fiocchi primers that I haven’t been happy with. So I’m only out $25 for a box of bullets.
Anybody interested in “windowing” your magazine, the ASC flexes far less than the DURAMAG once it is done which is a plus for the ASC. I’ll give a better range report when I get home from shooting rocks in the mountains.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3260.jpeg
    IMG_3260.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 6
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Thanks for the mag tips. What COAL can you get now that you've windowed them?

Also, are the Duramags at least functional after windowing?

Taudisio

WKR
Thanks for the mag tips. What COAL can you get now that you've windowed them?

Also, are the Duramags at least functional after windowing?
I haven’t checked yet.
Yes, flawlessly.

This afternoon was awesome and terrible at the same time. The rifle was the awesome part. I’ll save the bad part for another time once I’m not so angry.

On the rifle, shooting and functioning flawlessly. I was smoking the steel at 100 yards. I hit pressure before max load, I’m guessing it’s due to the soft primers, hence why I am trying to use them up. I have 3000 other primers to play with (#41, 400s, and GMM) once these last 150 are gone.

Attachments

• IMG_3263.jpeg
    IMG_3263.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I haven’t checked yet.
Yes, flawlessly.

This afternoon was awesome and terrible at the same time. The rifle was the awesome part. I’ll save the bad part for another time once I’m not so angry.

On the rifle, shooting and functioning flawlessly. I was smoking the steel at 100 yards. I hit pressure before max load, I’m guessing it’s due to the soft primers, hence why I am trying to use them up. I have 3000 other primers to play with (#41, 400s, and GMM) once these last 150 are gone.
Yeah, those primers are catering pretty bad before there's much signs of any real pressure. I wonder if looking at head space on the sized brass and maybe firing pin hole diameter on the bolt and firing pin diameter would be worth checking?

I did have some primers pop like that on some Hornady factory 350L once. I called Hornady and they said the lot should be fine. I think I ended pulling the bullets and reloading the cases with different primers and they were fine. I guess your 41s should let you know if it's the soft primers or not. Glad the rifle is running well otherwise! 👍

Taudisio

WKR
Yeah, those primers are catering pretty bad before there's much signs of any real pressure. I wonder if looking at head space on the sized brass and maybe firing pin hole diameter on the bolt and firing pin diameter would be worth checking?

I did have some primers pop like that on some Hornady factory 350L once. I called Hornady and they said the lot should be fine. I think I ended pulling the bullets and reloading the cases with different primers and they were fine. I guess your 41s should let you know if it's the soft primers or not. Glad the rifle is running well otherwise! 👍
I was checking them as I was going. It was fun seeing the pressure signs creeping up with every small jump of powder. They were the only primers I could find a while back. I tried them in the 6arc, it was piercing primers well below book max. I’ll pull the other loads, and load them with the 41s, along with the load that pierced the primer to try it again. I still think I am getting close to real pressure. The max load had powder up to the bottom of the neck. The two over were in the neck. The hodgedon data shows the COAL at 2.350. I have not gone above 2.305. The loads I made yesterday were 2.295-2.305 (tip differences). So I think the compressed loads will pressure spike quickly. They still fit in the 20 round DURAMAG I did not window. I’ll check the max coal in the window mags on wed/thurs.