Blood pressure issues

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I have been off benicar for 7 years now. Took it from 02-10. I started on 10mg lisinopril in 2010. Now I am taking 20mg. Have not had any issues until lately. I may talk to the doc about switching meds. I'm really trying to keep from having to be on a second medication because of the flight nurse thing.

Lisinopril in combination with Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is very effective and more so than some others singularly or just a higher dose of Lisinopril. Many studies support this: read these articles and you can check some of the references there as well-this was just the first ones I found online there are many articles regarding this.

- Combination Antihypertensive Drugs: Recommendations for Use - American Family Physician
- Antihypertensive combination treatment and new European Guidelines
- https://www.aafp.org/afp/2008/0501/p1279.pdf

It would still be one pill for you as it comes in a combo in one pill.. It’s what I am on (Lis-20mg/HCTZ 12.5). Don’t let HCTZ scare you away because it is classified as a diuretic; it doesn’t work like you’d think to dehydrate you and is electrolyte sparing. BTW 27+ years as RN and 32+ in ARNG. Definitely talk with your doc about it and check the flight physical requirements regarding the meds yourself-don't just listen to what people say read the reg. Good luck.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 2002 when I was only 18 yrs old. At the time I was 5'11", 165lbs. Played 2 high schools sports, worked out hard was in great shape. My BP was consistently in the 160/100's all the time. I started taking Benicar and got it under control. I took that med for several years until my insurance quit covering it and then I switched to lisinopril. I am now 33 yrs old. I'm 5'11", 170lbs. I'm probably in better shape now than I was 15 years ago. I work out 4-5x a week, I eat a pretty good diet. No soft drinks, one cup of coffee every morning, drink water the rest of the time. I eat fast food once or twice a month at most. I avoid processed foods, do not add salt to anything I eat. I drink the occassional beer or glass of red wine, do not smoke. I monitor my BP daily at home. Recently (last 4-5 months) I have been having headaches. My BP has been running 140/90-160/100. I do not skip my medication. My last 3 doctor visits my BP has been elevated. My doctor wants to put me on a second BP med. I don't want to take anything else. I tell him that I have modified my diet and work out consistently, but I can't get this under control. He just tells me that I must have bad genes (dad, mom, both sets of grandparents all have high BP). I work as a nurse and I know the dangers of high BP and I also understand that genetics does play a big factor. But, that being said, I do not want to be dependent on multiple medications to keep this under control. I'm going to completely cut out any fast food, if I do have to stop at a McDonalds or such, I will order a salad from now on. I'm also going try to add more cardio into my workout routine to see if that helps any. Anyone else have issues like this and have any other recommendations? Again, I want to avoid medications at all costs. I've been researching "natural remedies" but of course there is little to no definitive evidence on their effectiveness. For the record, all of my lab work always comes back perfect. My cholesterol (both good and bad) are always in the optimum ranges. Liver, kidneys are all functioning perfectly and no signs of diabetes (have a huge family history of that, so I keep a close eye on my sugar intake). I dream of one day being able to head on a backcountry camping/hunting trip and not have to worry about taking my BP meds with me.
What is your sodium intake like? I was never as high as you, but have always been super healthy to the way you describe yourself. I knew adding salt was bad, but still figured all the other foods I ate were fine. I have always been a high protein guy and I cycle my carbs. An easy meal at work was a can of chicken and lettuce. I knew it was canned so would have some added sodium. I then started tracking my daily intake and it was well over 2000mg. Long story short just try tracking your sodium literally in everything! I started eating more oatmeal, really pushing my krill oil and started taking I think grapefruit seed in pill form I will check when I get home and follow up. Mine has went from 146/90 to like 118/78. Crazy...

Sent from my SM-N915R4 using Tapatalk

What is your sodium intake like? I was never as high as you, but have always been super healthy to the way you describe yourself. I knew adding salt was bad, but still figured all the other foods I ate were fine. I have always been a high protein guy and I cycle my carbs. An easy meal at work was a can of chicken and lettuce. I knew it was canned so would have some added sodium. I then started tracking my daily intake and it was well over 2000mg. Long story short just try tracking your sodium literally in everything! I started eating more oatmeal, really pushing my krill oil and started taking I think grapefruit seed in pill form I will check when I get home and follow up. Mine has went from 146/90 to like 118/78. Crazy...

Sorry, hawthorn seed not grapefruit seed.