Significant weight loss.

That’s awesome man! A huge improvement in quality of life with something that you did yourself, and that created a shift in mentality… truly life changing is a big deal, and I’m stoked for you!

mt100gr.

WKR
Good work, Rob!

Say, a few years back you posted up some glamor shots....I'll bet your wife is looking forward to the Rob2024 Calendar! 😆

jimh406

WKR
Congratulations!

Long term injections/drugs to lose weight is probably not a good idea. I'm not a Dr, but I suggest changing to a low carb diet and reduced eating period or one meal a day and then weaning yourself off the drugs with your Dr.

If you are like most people, you'll find that it's easy to do one/two meals a day on a low/lower carb meal plan. If you look into it, you'll find that some people do a lot better on carnivore diets. In spite of what some suggest, plants aren't good for every one.

I think you'll find that occasionally going off the restricted meal plan isn't a big deal. It doesn't take long to lose 5-10 lbs once mentally you can change the way you eat. There is a lot of research to suggest that if you plateau, changing your eating for a few days can allow you to break the plateau.

Finally, don't stress over how fast you lose weight. If you follow the plan, it will eventually come off. It's a lifetime decision, so it doesn't matter if 5 lbs comes off in a month or 6 months.

LFC911

WKR
Congrats Rob! I went from 280 to 230's back in 2018 when I started elk hunting at 50 lol! Now I'm back up to 249 and back on the keto starting today. When I did it before I was drinking, so I had to make room for beer carbs in my macros. I know if won't be easy but, as you, I ain't ready to give up the mounting hunting. I'll save my antelope points for that day LOL. Keep up the great work and keep us posted on the progress.

Great job and keep going!

Americans are simply not healthy people. No other country looks as bad and I’ve been in a ton of them. Fat, soft, what is accepted as “big or burly” means, In reality, the scale vs your height = obese! its a disgrace to even call the stuff estén food.

FYI drinking beer doesn’t make you fat. It’s the shit you put in your mouth daily that makes us non human looking.

WKR
With all due respect to Rob, I’m confused the the comments of “congratulations”?

Unless I missed it, the changes are not due to diet and exercise changes nor a new commitment to health reforms. Life changing weight loss is usually related to strong efforts in exercise and nutrition, but not in this case. This weight loss is an expected effect of an injected medication.

I’m happy for Rob, and it is very interesting to hear about how life changing the drug induced weight loss can be for an active person.

Congratulations to the pharmaceutical company that developed the drug?

Nice man. I got up to 225 2 months (usually 205-215) and I started keto and I'm down to 197 yesterday. Probably 5-10 lbs is water weight but it does wonders with inflammation and I'm way less and sore fatigued after high exertion activities. Keto the only way I can have self control with not eating crap unfortunately although I do surf and hike regularly for fitness

KsRancher

WKR
As I've happily admitted in many posts over the years, I've always been a fatty.

Well, a few months ago I decided not to be. Well, I decided I needed to shed about 20lb anyway.

I have osteoarthritis in my left ankle & complications from a gunshot wound in my right knee & as I'm getting older (holly shit, I'll be 50 next year!) I thought that I could probably get a couple of cortizone shots before my Wyoming hunt this season.
I spoke to my podiatrist & he took a bunch of X-rays & an MRI of my ankle & came to the conclusion that as is about 90% fused, nothing was going to really help there.

Spoke to my GP about the ligaments in my knee & he agreed that steroids would help, but he didn't want to do cortisone right off the bat & gave me some Prednisone to try first. Being as he's one of my best friends he suggested, in that best friendy way, that if my joints weren't under so much strain, they'd hurt less.

'Huh. Logical' I thought.

That day, I weighed in at 265. I've never really 'looked' obese, being 6 foot & generally a big guy, most people wouldn't guess me as being that heavy. See, i gain weight evenly, all over. No big gut or tiddies, i just...... increase.

So, I asked his advise. Which is often not the best idea when it's a buddy, but he must've caught on that I was serious. Hell, I overcame alcoholism solely because I didn't want to take blood pressure meds & I quit tobacco because someone told me I couldn't. I'm hard headed like that.....
We had a very long, serious discussion, including a consult with a dietician. It turns out that I already had a very healthy diet (I don't eat fast food, virtually zero processed food, negligible processed sugars & as I'm gluten intolerant, not much in the way of simple carbs! After a lot of head scratching, eventually he suggested I maybe try semaglutide injections to at least help with portion control & you know, toss in some extra green leafy stuff. The goal was to get me to 240, a weight I knew was achievable & I was far more comfortable at.

So I did.

That was on September 1st.

As of this morning, I'm down to 219. I've gone from a 42" waist & 56" chest, to a 38 waist & 50 chest. My knee & ankle are causing me zero pain, whatsoever & the energy I have is astonishing to me. The Wyoming trip was a massive eye opener, in that it gave me motivation to do things I never thought I'd do (it sounds dumb to you mountain types, but 12 miles in a day, half of which was uphill, without getting angry, frustrated or hurt is, to me, miraculous. And I wanted to do it again. Every day! ) I'm no longer phased at having to hike to my hunting spots. In fact, this season I hoofed it to a stand that my younger, much fitter hunting bud has never actually reached without a 4-wheeler!

My diet has changed immeasurably since that day. I no longer prioritize food & frankly, if I miss a meal I no longer stress about it. I'm happier than I've ever been in my own skin.

The reason for this post: I'm not looking for back-pats or 'attaboys' I just want to throw out there a little post Christmas motivation. If I; a middle aged, injured, perpetually overweight guy (shit, I weighed more at 18 than I do today!) can shed it, my hand to your God, anyone can do it.

Also, I just got out of the shower, giggling. I was washing my right leg & noticed a couple of things.....
1, I didn't recognize my own leg &
2, I had been stood, unaided, on one leg, for the first time that i can remember! 😆

It feels good folks!
200 by April!
Congrats man. I will admit, I am jealous. I am currently the heaviest I have ever been. My wife says I wear it well, but I think she is just being nice. I feel like I am a fat ass. But still in my 32x32 jeans. Been in them since high school. I was 160lbs when I graduated. 19yrs later I am about to hit 180. I am only 5'8". I work hard enough to keep wieght off. But I have an eating problem. I have found out one thing. You CANT out work an overeating issue. I feel great at 160-165lbs. Winter is always a tough time for me. Getting dark before 6:00pm I just come inside and eat. When it stays light until 8:00-9:00 I stay busy and not eating.

Congrats again. Keep it up

Congrats man, that's a huge accomplishment! I had similar motivation myself. My lower back flare ups have gotten progressively worse over the last few years, having young kids. Theyd last longer and hurt more each time. In July of this summer I was at about 275, I'm 6'6" and carried a lot of that weight in my midsection which is hell on my back being taller. I started going to the gym and riding my bike 5-6x a week, cut back on the beer, and stopped snacking at night. I made it down to about 230 by October and I feel the best I have since high school. I'm trying to force myself to pay attention to how good I feel and use that as motivation to make this a permanent lifestyle change. That's the hardest part, motivation and replacing bad habits with good ones. Keep up the good work!

KsRancher

WKR
With all due respect to Rob, I’m confused the the comments of “congratulations”?

Unless I missed it, the changes are not due to diet and exercise changes nor a new commitment to health reforms. Life changing weight loss is usually related to strong efforts in exercise and nutrition, but not in this case. This weight loss is an expected effect of an injected medication.

I’m happy for Rob, and it is very interesting to hear about how life changing the drug induced weight loss can be for an active person.

Congratulations to the pharmaceutical company that developed the drug?
I think you missed the part where he said how much less he was eating. Yes the injection is part of the reason he is eating less. But he is losing weight because of less food consumed

That’s awesome Rob! I started doing the 8-16 intermittent fasting in August and it really helped me. I had a serious “grazing” problem in the evenings. Looking back, it was pretty easy to down 500-800 calories when I wasn’t even hungry.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
That’s awesome Rob! I started doing the 8-16 intermittent fasting in August and it really helped me. I had a serious “grazing” problem in the evenings. Looking back, it was pretty easy to down 500-800 calories when I wasn’t even hungry.

I started doing 18/6 intermittent fasting early this year & although i didn't notice any major losses, it did retrain my eating habits.
Now, I just don't ever feel like eating before 1pm & I generally have dinner at 6:30ish.
If I snack between them, it's normally an apple. I do occasionally have breakfast on a Sunday morning, between 10 & 11, but that ends up replacing lunch, so it's a bit of a wash. I might slip in an extra apple in the afternoon, but that's it.

WKR
I think you missed the part where he said how much less he was eating. Yes the injection is part of the reason he is eating less. But he is losing weight because of less food consumed

Yeah, that’s how the drug works. It causes people to eat much less.

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
I am down from 357 last year to 240 this year after getting the gastric sleeve last June. My walking routine is up to 5 miles per day. About to start swimming again. Playing pickleball and tennis again. I will watch the David Googins info. It feels amazing but I still have a lot more work to do.

Took up hunting 2 years ago when I retired and moved to Florida. This is a legitimate question, at 66 years old is there a chance I could handle an Elk hunt? Are there hunts that do not involve hiking up the side of a mountain and being in the backcountry for 5 days.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I am down from 357 last year to 240 this year after getting the gastric sleeve last June. My walking routine is up to 5 miles per day. About to start swimming again. Playing pickleball and tennis again. I will watch the David Googins info. It feels amazing but I still have a lot more work to do.

Took up hunting 2 years ago when I retired and moved to Florida. This is a legitimate question, at 66 years old is there a chance I could handle an Elk hunt? Are there hunts that do not involve hiking up the side of a mountain and being in the backcountry for 5 days.

That's awesome man, congratulations! I'm walking 4 or 5 extra miles a day, but I also do a pretty physical job. I wish there was somewhere around here I could swim that didn't have bass, turtles & jetskis in it 😆

I couldn't honestly say there are 'easy' elk hunts, but certainly some are easier than others. In your situation, I'd probably look into a private landowner tag & a guided hunt.
As always, the easier it is, the more it's going to cost! A DIY 'tougher' hunt will cost the price of a tag, travel, food & accommodations. I think this year was my biggest budget & I stayed well south of 4 grand.
A guided, private hunt is likely to cost 3-5 times that.
I've never investigated elk outside of my own budget, so I really couldn't even recommend a state, let alone outfitter.
Never say never though brother! I guy I know in Nashville just turned 65 & I'd guess he'd field-dress at about 4 bills. Oh, he's a biggun. 5'10" in every direction. Gets to sit next to everyone...... he killed a beautiful 6x6 last year in, I believe, Montana.
That said, although there is a level of physicality, as with everything tough.... it's at least 90% mental.
My fattest year, I think I hit 285, maybe 290. 2015. I was at 12,000' in Colorado doing an OTC elk hunt. I thought I was going to die many times, but a 'phuq you!' attitude & refusal to quit will carry you through stuff you'd never believe you can do.

This is my Florida hunting buddy 'The Shane' at 12,300' in Colorado. Mid 50s, fat as butter, never been above sea level in his life.

Screenshot_2017-07-16-10-54-45.png
IMG_20140903_103941_496.jpg

Last edited:

Maki35

WKR
Great job. I think your determination helped you get there.
I have no doubt you'll make your 200 lbs target in April. Keep it up.

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. I will investigate more. I am aware of the fancy Texas ranch big game hunts. Being driven to the top of a hill and pointed at an exotic big game animal would be unappealing to me. It feels like an Elk is something you need to earn.