7mm rem mag vs 28 nosler

I'm just looking for any input on these two cartridges for a pure hunting rig in the open plains for everything from moose to sk whitetail

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
The cliff notes version is something like this: 28 will outdo the 7 with the heavier bullets (180-195) at ranges beyond ~900 yards, but it's going to be a lot more expensive to shoot. Brass is expensive ($3 ea) and not always readily available, uses a good bit more powder also.

The 7 shines with bullets in the 168-180 range, brass is cheaper and readily available, uses less powder, longer barrel life, and every rifle ever made is available in 7Rm seems like.

That said, I just ordered a 28 last night lol. It's an impressive cartridge, with the right load only needs around 43 moa to get to a mile.

Muttly

WKR
You are going to find a lot more 7 Mag ammo in Saskatchewan than 28 Nosler, if I,m reading the sk whitetail right..

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 28 out runs the 7mag in every category when you are only talking performance. All the components are the same when reloading except the brass, which is no doubt more expensive. I just sold a Gunwerks 7mm LRM, which out runs the 7mag, and bought a Gunwerks 28 and that out runs the 7mm LRM by a bunch also. The 28 ballstically speaking is only beat by the 338 Lapua out to about 1200 yards.

Muttly

WKR
Ya I'm from Saskatchewan

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Ahh... That makes two of us! Eliminating Air Canada from the equation makes life a lot simpler. A bigger hammer ain,t always a bad thing, and you,'ll likely be carrying the same weight rifle either caliber.
If you reload you can stock up on components and you,re off to the races.

Wapiti1

WKR
Find a moose, or whitetail that is impervious to a 160-175gr bullet from a 7mm Rem Mag? They don't exist with good shooting.

I have two 7X57's, a 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW and a 28 Nosler. The 7mm Rem Mag is popular for a good reason. I would be surprised if you found it lacking. I only have the bigger 7mm's for fun and experimenting. They don't offer anything that I can't get from the Rem.

Jeremy

sneaky

"DADDY"
You are missing another one that will do everything you want. 280 Ackley Improved. Hornady makes brass for it now so it's affordable, and if you reload you can get them driving tacks in no time. Not losing much to the 7mm RM but using less powder and less recoil.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

COShoot

FNG
I'm very late in adding to this string, but am buying a Gunwerks magnus. Either 28 Nosler or 7mm Rem Mag. I have a Christensen Arms 300PRC, which the recoil is a little stout and I don't see my hits. Rosinbag, with your Gunwerks 28Nosler how is the recoil and can you see hits. Also anyone who has shot 7mm Rem Mag and 28 Nos, how does the recoil compare.

Bater

WKR
My 6.8lb broke 28 kicks about like a 243 minus the barrel lift. Watching hits past 300-400 is quit simple. This is however a virtue of the brake, not the cartridge. My 7RM isn’t broke so apples/oranges

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my browning 7mag. For me, the cartridge with 160s is perfect. Moderate recoil, accurate, 3K fps, ok muzzle blast, no break required and terminal performance is great. But, I'm not a long range sniper or very interested in hunting with a break.

miggy

FNG
My next rifle will be a 28 nosler, as others have stated it just flat out performs the 7 mag. What's your budget, do you plan to reload, and what are your goals for the rifle?
Either will work for moose to sk whitetail.

COShoot

FNG
Would like a tack driver in 7mm or larger to be able to shoot elk at 600yds or so. Also to occasionally shoot steel out to 1000 or 1200yds. I don't reload. Maybe some day. Budget is about $6000.

Bater

WKR
Would like a tack driver in 7mm or larger to be able to shoot elk at 600yds or so. Also to occasionally shoot steel out to 1000 or 1200yds. I don't reload. Maybe some day. Budget is about $6000.
Cool

miggy

FNG
The biggest thing imo is gonna be your shooting abilities you can totally build a very accurate rifle for cheap. I built my rifle in high school for less than $1300 and regularly shoot out to 1100 yds. Also not all rifles are the same ie you and your buddy may both have Tikka t3 ss in 300wm and his may shoot Hornady precision hunters very well, but yours may not even shoot moa with them. So if you’re looking to stick to factory ammo be prepared to try a couple different brands and types

sheffe

FNG
You've gotten some great advice here so far. I believe caliber selection should be based on two key elements.
1-what projectile do you want to shoot (ie, if you want to shoot 160's then don't get a 28 Noz... just get the 280ai or 7RM)
2-what package do you want the gun in? light small package for mountains or rock steady 10# rig with a big 5-25x50 scope?
I shoot 280Ai, 7RM, and 28 Nosler, to me the 280AI and 28 get used a lot more than the 7RM. In my case the 280AI is very light and compact and wonderful to carry in the mountains. The 28 is an absolute hammer but in my case its in a bigger/heavier package so it fits the bill when we're hunting big canyons or open country (closer to the truck!)
Moral of the story.... buy one of each!

COShoot

FNG
Ha! Wish i could buy one of each. My rig will be about 8.5 lbs with scope. Not super light, but light enough to carry in the Colorado mountains. The round I would shoot is a 180 grain Berger. Sheffe, what do you think about recoil in that weight off a rifle between the 7mmRM and 28Nos. The rifle I want doesn't come in 280Ai. Would probably get that if it did.

COShoot

FNG
Miggy, good point about factory ammo shooting different in different rifles. The wider variety of ammo for 7mm Rem Mag than 28 Nosler is a plus for the 7mm RM.