6.5 prc vs 7mm-08 for 18”-20” barrel

Elite

WKR
I am looking for some experience between these two cartridges.

I currently own a 20” 7mm-08 and can get roughly 2750fps 140 hand loaded accubonds. I am now looking at buying a new tikka and customizing it with a new barrel and stock. But can’t decide if upgrading to a 6.5 prc is worth it in a short barrel?

I have done a lot of research and seems like the prc velocity’s are all over the place from what I can find. I already own 200 pieces of nosler brass and dies for the 7mm-08.

So how much faster is the prc in a short barrel vs the 7mm-08?

I will use the rifle from deer to mountain sheep and hunting and moose and elk. I do practice longs range often. Gun will be sub 6lbs

Also how is the recoil? When I use the recoil calculator the prc looks like 20% more? We can not use suppressors in my area so that plays a factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 20” 6.5x284 which is basically a 6.5 PRC of old. Up for sale now but similar to the PRC

Was getting 2900 with 140s during barrel break in so I would imagine that would increase a tad.

From my reading the 284 was maybe 100-50 fps slower than the PRC so, like was mentioned above you should be able to get to 2900 comfortably with 140s in a PRC.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
2880fps out of 20”, Berger 156, 8 pounds 4 ounces, ready to hunt with 4 rounds

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
2880fps out of 20”, Berger 156, 8 pounds 4 ounces, ready to hunt with 4 rounds

That’s impressive. Can you spot your shots?

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
No, but I don’t heavily load a bipod because I don’t always have that option hunting, it’s sub 1/2 moa at 500 yards

sdupontjr

WKR
My tikka CTR 308 with 20" gets 2860 fps with 155 scenar and Varget. I plan on trying CFE223 because I've read it will get a little more speed in 308.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
No, but I don’t heavily load a bipod because I don’t always have that option hunting, it’s sub 1/2 moa at 500 yards

Have you tried using a break?

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, It has a brake, if I load a bipod you can see your shots I just don’t, it doesn’t kick much but it’s light

I get 2925 out of my 6.5 PRC with a 21” barrel. 140 Accubonds, H4831SC. Could probably get more speed with other powder, but this load is sub 1/2” MOA, and sub 10ES, so I don’t feel like messing with it. 6lb 3 oz bare gun. I run it with a TBAC Ultra 7, and a Huskemaw 4-16x42.

Outcast

FNG
Unfortunately can’t get a suppressor up here in Canada so I don’t love barrels shorter than 22” and dislike muzzle brakes even more.
I just went through the paces of deciding on adding a 6.5 prc and instead bought another 6.5 Creedmoor.
I just can’t see enough in the PRC for what I do here in Alberta which is a lot of mountain and foothills hunting. Shooting game at 1000 yards isn’t my thing and the rifles I have get me to 750-800 pretty easy anyways.
7mm-08 with 150 eldx gets out there. Even with the 140 accubond it’s no slouch.

You might be splitting hairs but new rifles are cool!

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Unfortunately can’t get a suppressor up here in Canada so I don’t love barrels shorter than 22” and dislike muzzle brakes even more.
I just went through the paces of deciding on adding a 6.5 prc and instead bought another 6.5 Creedmoor.
I just can’t see enough in the PRC for what I do here in Alberta which is a lot of mountain and foothills hunting. Shooting game at 1000 yards isn’t my thing and the rifles I have get me to 750-800 pretty easy anyways.
7mm-08 with 150 eldx gets out there. Even with the 140 accubond it’s no slouch.

You might be splitting hairs but new rifles are cool!

I’m also from Canada so same issue. But I do like breaks to be able to spot shots when hunting solo

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I get 2925 out of my 6.5 PRC with a 21” barrel. 140 Accubonds, H4831SC. Could probably get more speed with other powder, but this load is sub 1/2” MOA, and sub 10ES, so I don’t feel like messing with it. 6lb 3 oz bare gun. I run it with a TBAC Ultra 7, and a Huskemaw 4-16x42.

How do you find the recoil on the PRC? The recoil calculator shows it is pretty stout with 140s going 2900 for a light rifle

How do you find the recoil on the PRC? The recoil calculator shows it is pretty stout with 140s going 2900 for a light rifle

With a supressor it’s quite mild. Without my TBAC, my rifle is about 7.5 lbs finished weight. It’s definitely got some spice with that load. Not unmanageable, but you’re definitely not going to be spotting impacts.

If it’s any help, I’m considering selling this rifle and funding a very lightweight 7mm-08 sheep rifle build instead. Peak44 Blacktooth, Falkor LW7 short action, 21” Lilja #3 and have it full length fluted. Throated for 165 Sierra Gamechanger TGKs. Wyatt’s extended mag box + Hawkins M5 Oberndorf BDL (That would allow for 2.995 COAL). Should be able to get hand loads going 2700 FPS pretty easy, maybe more. 600 yards and under with that bullet, and should be pretty mild. Rifle would finish around 5.75#. Goal would be 7lbs or slightly more, scoped and loaded.

Last edited:
OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
With a supressor it’s quite mild. Without my TBAC, my rifle is about 7.5 lbs finished weight. It’s definitely got some spice with that load. Not unmanageable, but you’re definitely not going to be spotting impacts.

If it’s any help, I’m considering selling this rifle and funding a very lightweight 7mm-08 sheep rifle build instead. Peak44 Blacktooth, Falkor LW7 short action, 21” Lilja #3 and have it full length fluted. Throated for 165 Sierra Gamechanger TGKs. Wyatt’s extended mag box + Hawkins M5 Oberndorf BDL (That would allow for 2.995 COAL). Should be able to get hand loads going 2700 FPS pretty easy, maybe more. 600 yards and under with that bullet, and should be pretty mild. Rifle would finish around 5.75#. Goal would be 7lbs or slightly more, scoped and loaded.

That sounds like the perfect lightweight build. Are you stepping down to the 7mm for less recoil?

That sounds like the perfect lightweight build. Are you stepping down to the 7mm for less recoil?

Yes, I don’t want to have to pack a suppressor. They’re awesome, I love shooting it, but if I’m going for lightest weight/packable ect for a true backpack hunt, it’s just extra weight. When I can achieve 500-600 yard performance out of a mild cartridge, that’s all I personally need. I’m not a super duper long range guy. It’s fun to practice, but I also bowhunt a lot. I haven’t ever had trouble getting inside 600 yards.

I have another custom that finishes suppressed right at 8lbs. It’s a sweet shooting rifle, will be awesome for my kids to learn on, but not what I’m packing on a sheep hunt.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Run the 130 grain in the 6.5 prc for velocity, the BC is still better than the 140 in 7mm. Compare more apples to apples there. You’ll reduce recoil a little.

If 7-08 gets it done well enough, you could go more apples to apples and get less recoil with 130 grain in a 6 creed.