When do ur fingers burn from cold?

hi2u

FNG
I've noticed my fingers start hurting I'm the cold more and more.

Twenty degrees out and my finger tips will start burning after 5-10minutes of no gloves. Today It's negative 10. I was changing a battery with gloves and took gloves off a few times and they started burning bad. I'm only 29, so curious what this is. I never noticed it until past couple years.

Am I just being a little girl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I got frost bite on my middle finger of my left hand back in 2000 while climbing Mt Rainer. I had taken my mitt off to do something and an updraft snatched it up into the sky like a tornado, never to be seen again. To this day, that finger tip will turn into an aching piece of lead if not properly insulated when temps are in the 20s are colder. No other fingers will be cold Thur that one is screaming. I feel ya. It sucks. I've thought about cutting a neoprene finger out of an ice fishing glove just as extra insulation for that one finger.

OP
H

hi2u

FNG
I was in a bad car accident and almost lost my right wrist. I feel like my nerves are messed up now... I might have to go see someone

jmez

WKR
May have Raynaud's syndrome. Not serious and not much they can do about it but it sucks because your fingers will always be cold. My wife has it.

ptarmigan

FNG
My index finger and thumb on my right hand are the worst. They don’t burn but hurt like I smacked them with a rock or something. That usually lasts for about an hour then I’m good to go for the rest of the day. Years of working in the cold and ice/ cold weather fishing without gloves took a toll.

dotman

WKR
I’ve always heard that you fingers and toes burn while they are winning the battle of cold vs warm, it’s when they stop burning in the cold that you are screwed, not sure if it’s true but my fingers have hurt many times without long term consequences.

But yeah your being a little girl 😂 or your body is warning you.

cnelk

WKR
Injuries play a big role in cold sensitivity

5 yrs ago I cut 8 tendons with a year of PT and its still a great weather/temperature predictor

sKWBPa6.jpg

rb87QNW.jpg

Poser

WKR
I feel compelled to one-up. My left foot got an "exploratory" bite from a tiger shark. (By "exploratory", I mean that he was more curious than hungry... thankfully). Anyway, I had some tendon damage and incredibly severe bone bruising, but that foot doesn't get noticeably colder than the other.

e54a5f04661d0e35a65f5b4cb9c847ad.jpg

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
jeeze, you unfortunate bastards with hardcore damage makes my butthole quiver. OUCH!

But there are good reasons why some of us experience cold finger tips and toes...sometimes just one or two digits on the affected hand or foot:

1. Sensory Receptors: There are three kinds: warm receptors that are stimulated by warm temperatures, cold ‎receptors that are stimulated by cold temperatures, and pain receptors that are stimulated by extreme cold or warm temperatures.

Cold receptors are basically the outside receivers on nerve endings, which are intertwined with your capillary circulation. It has been proven that nerve endings are commonly damaged by cold weather injury events, and that even repeated cold weather exposure makes us more and more vulnerable to the slightest of sensory receptor sensitivity. Thus, the older we hunters get (age, injury, and repeated exposure) the more sense it makes that our receptors are deteriorating at the same time.

2. Pain receptors are one problem, but capillary circulation is likely the first variable to consider.

3. Capillaries are the smallest of root fibers s at the tips of small roots of plants...only in our bodies we have billions of tiny vessels that transport warm blood through our tips and toes and to the subsurface of our largest organ--skin. In cold exposure, capillaries constrict to conserve core body temperature...the older we get or the more we smoke or chew, etc...we become more sensitive to cold exposure. Uneven pain, say in one finger or toe or the side of a hand or random cold spot could be caused by nerve damage AND capillary (vaso) constriction.

There are more reasons, but these are the most common water cooler concepts.

It's not uncommon and the only treatment is secured weather protection. You'll have to stay aware of the trouble spot (mine is my right pinky finger) and baby your warmth in cold periods...and avoid nicotine, alcohol, and dehydration.

lb

Well as long as we’re showing off injury pics, I’ll go ahead and throw mine in. This happened to me yesterday and I don’t even know how it happened. I think that I may have gotten lucky though since I still seem to have all the feeling in my fingers.
61778b99f1b74203321da3b75a33636f.jpg

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Well as long as we’re showing off injury pics, I’ll go ahead and throw mine in. This happened to me yesterday and I don’t even know how it happened. I think that I may have gotten lucky though since I still seem to have all the feeling in my fingers.
61778b99f1b74203321da3b75a33636f.jpg

I've had that same thing...mosquito bite!

ronc80

FNG
Hope you went to the ER for that it looks real bad

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Several years ago I managed to crush both my thumbs and index fingers. Needed about 100 stitches between them. Now, my thumbs and fingers burn not so much in the cold, but when they warm up. It doesn't take very long for the index fingers and thumb to pretty much go numb, but still functional, if that makes any sense. I don't live in an area that gets very cold anymore though, but it was pretty brutal when I did. I might be a girl too, though.