$29 Budget puffy review/opinion

Capizzo

FNG
Just quick thoughts as I got to thinking after a year with this jacket, I should go grab another before they're gone again for the year.

I bought a left over Eddie Bauer 650 down fill puffy at Costco last year for $29.99 and hardly noticed it on my cart bill. After babying the jacket for the first couple of weeks, then burning the sleeve on the stove at our cabin, I duct taped the singed fabric and moved it from my hunting/camping gear bin and put it in the work/daily line-up.

Fast forward about a year later, I caught my self in thought as I was loading up my newly rebuilt 7.3L diesel for a late Muzzle loader hunt, I had a tool bag with everything in there except a hoist to pull the engine back out and the last thing I stuffed in there was the wadded up Eddie Bauer puffy to keep warm incase I had to wrench on my truck mid trip.

I had started wearing the jacket on cold mornings framing houses in big sky, MT at 8k feet and -10 Degrees in the morning. Often catching large wood slivers and nail heads. And more recently started a tire business and wore it on cold mornings while changing tires and working on my personal truck in my free time. Needless to say it could use a good washin' but it stayed together remarkably well despite the last year of abuse. With the duct tape from the cabin still holding on, and holding feathers in.

I plan on going and getting another for my hunting tote, as it packs down much better than my sitka puffy, feels many ounces lighter, and is much quieter, it would make a great piece for lightweight early hunts where space and weight are a premium, and warm enough for later hunts. I'm 6'1 210lbs and found the xl not too baggy for just a t shirt under, and not too small to put over a hoody. The waist skirts out.. could benefit from a draw cord or elastic bottom. But other than that for $30 bucks you can't beat the warmth and durability of this puffy, and won't feel bad if you rip it, burn it, etc.

Most recently covered in diesel fuel and fuel line thread sealant:

1000006066.jpg

matthewmt

WKR
Is this a hooded version? I've had a few gerry puffys with 650 fill and they've been very cost effective and durable.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TxxAgg

WKR
I've had one for years now that lives in the garage. I've also burned it and taped it. It's a great jacket and fits me just right. Even better that it's inexpensive.

Jethro

WKR
I just picked up a new 650 from EB over Christmas. No hood, I paid $40. Have had one for years but was little snug and has been handed down. Great jacket for the money.

TaperPin

WKR
Thanks for the information - that’s a deal. Next time they pop up at Costco I’m grabbing a bunch for the family cars’ winter survival bags.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really liked mine until my kid lost it. Probably my favorite budget puffy, only caution I would give is that it’s fragile (even for a puffy) also agree with whoever mentioned a drawcord hem would be nice.