Outdoor Magazines

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
Over the past few years I have allowed all of my print magazine subscriptions to end. My thoughts were that they were getting thin and all ads. Does anyone subscribe to anything worth the cost these days ?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The only magazine that I get is Recoil. But I love guns!!

Last edited:

Gumbo

WKR
None for me, although I do skim through most of them on the newsstand. Eastman's and the Muley magazine are my favorites just because of the big critters.

I am fairly new to this type of hunting. I started with 7-8 on my iPad and a couple in print to round it out. It was a good way to pick up tips and get oriented to gear and trends. Now i am whittling it down. Petersen’s hunting and bow hunting. Field and steam and outdoor life. Eastman’s. I feel like I have plateaued in terms of picking up new stuff and get a lot from online content. I will probably let a couple more subscriptions run out.

I renew my Eastmans every year at the ISE. I get a free piece of gear when I do it there. I enjoy Dan Pickars reviews and the Members Research Section (MRS). I use to get The Western Hunter Magazine, because I enjoy Nate Simmons reviews as well. However at one point he stopped being as consistent about them. I feel like this site has more knowledge than any magazine. IMO

OP
Tom_

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
I was hoping that I missed something new. My main fear is that sooner or later I'm going to drop my phone in the toilet.

hodgeman

WKR
I liked the one and only issue of Carnivore from the Recoil folks...pretty good mag, I hope it makes it into regular print.

Yeah- I lapsed all my subscriptions...the objective hunting and gun press died years ago. Much better content is available on the web for the most part.

Netherman

WKR
I never fell into the trap. I feel like you can gain as much or more knowledge scrounging the internet. Just might cost you more time

Nick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bugle (since 1988, comes with RMEF membership), Western Hunter, and American Hunter (Life Member since 1977, comes with NRA membership).

Last edited:
No magazines here. The majority of written content is there to somehow support the advertisers. Advertising pays the bills and editors don't have the luxury of putting in content regardless of what their advertisers think. Most magazines are a dual/simultaneous backscratch. It doesn't mean there isn't still good content for some readers. I just happen to prefer reading stories and articles which have a very independent slant and pay no attention to pleasing anyone except the author and his audience.

the only one I get anymore that doesn't come with a membership is Grays SJ. That's only because I like it... I've let all my others lapse due to the reasons outlined already.

boom

WKR
i stopped a long time ago. all magazines. not just the outdoor ones.

even Western Hunter got very mundane..same ads, same story highlights..