Hunting trailer conversion

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,

I'm sure some people have done this - but I have not quite found anything. A few threads on the expedition forum, but they tend to be less hunting oriented.

I've got a 4x6 steel utility trailer that I cut the gate off of so I could haul kayaks. I put a much longer tongue on it, but plan to swap to the short tongue again. It's got probably 16" sides on it, and a wire mesh bottom that is sagging badly. The rims are small, maybe 14" and the tires are pretty close to the fender (axle is currently over lead springs).

My thoughts: Rip out the wire mesh, grind/sand any rust. Flip the axle to be under the leaf spring and throw on take off Jeep rims/tires. This should get me some descent ground clearance without going to a torsion axle. Drill holes to accept a 3/4" plywood sheet and build a "tub" on top that is approx 24" deep, and close it with a lid. I'd be building the tub strong enough to stack items on top of it (like drywall for the times I need it).

Questions:
-Waterproofing. I was debating spray on bid liner on the bottom of the plywood bottom and sides. I've heard not to use PT treated, because of the corrosion issues. Should I just use Thompsons sealer and paint?

-The lid on the tub, I haven't decided yet but I am thinking gull-wing style. I was planning to have 4 doors - two one each side. If I do this, I have not figured out how to water proof the middle channel. The best idea I have so far is to route a one inch wide drain in a 2x4 that would catch all water. Any better ideas here? Water proof the outside edge is easy enough, but the middle is tricky.

-I'm not going to be doing anything super hardcore, is it still worth upgrading to torsion axles? Ideally, I'm trying to keep the cost low.

I wouldn't do torsion if you want to keep the cost low. I have an old M101 military surplus trailer that I am making into a camping setup. I am ditching the 6000 lb axle underneath and going with a 3500 so I can put spindles on it that match the Jeep.

I dumped the surge brakes and fabbed up my own tongue as well.

My bed is full of holes (drilled, not rusted) that I will need to seal up eventually. Good thing about mine is that standard tonneau covers will fit it.

Good luck on yours. We enjoy having ours available. Since I don't have a truck any more I use it as a utility trailer more than a camping trailer.

Attachments

• trailer24.jpg
    trailer24.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 225

cnelk

WKR
You may want to consider using marine grade plywood.
Its not waterproof, but the glue is

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a similar set up for hauling kayaks, 4x7 trailer with extended tongue, the ramp laid down and a couple of old Thule racks mounted on the rails. Considering a similar conversion plus adding a truck ladder rack and maybe a roof top tent on that. Swapping the racks would only take 20-30 minutes. I'm thinking I'll just shorten my extended tongue 18" to avoid the need to swap out every time I reconfigure. I've got a stall mat in the floor of the trailer, marine plywood would be a nice upgrade.

GotDraw?

WKR
If you varnish both sides of the marine grade plywood with a couple coats of real varnish it will be waterproof, like a boat. Need to seal drilled holes, too.

Marine grade is simply better plywood, with waterproof glue and no voids. It will rot over time unless protected from water.

JL

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 5'x10' trailer that I'm redoing now. As soon as I get it wired wheeled and sanded and repainted, I'm flipping the axle for more clearance and then I'm building an enclosed box that I can slide on and off as needed. I can use the box to haul my camping and coolers or the mountain bikes, then if I need the trailer to haul firewood or whatever, I can slide the box off.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 5'x10' trailer that I'm redoing now. As soon as I get it wired wheeled and sanded and repainted, I'm flipping the axle for more clearance and then I'm building an enclosed box that I can slide on and off as needed. I can use the box to haul my camping and coolers or the mountain bikes, then if I need the trailer to haul firewood or whatever, I can slide the box off.

How do you intend to make the box in ceiling? So far I'm going to build a fiberglass enclosure

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I would post some updates. I ended up going a bit more simple. Started off with the frame being VERY rust. I ground out the expanded metal floor that was sagging, I ground off the most overly welded on fenders ever to exist, re-cut the gate, swapped to a 3500lb axle and picked up some 6 on 5.5 hubs. I then added some ammo cans for dry storage and a tongue stand. The wood is untreated yellow pine, I wanted to avoid pressure treated wood due to the galvanic rust it creates when in contact with metal. I'll have to replace the floor every 5 years or so.

View attachment 66539
View attachment 66540
View attachment 66541
View attachment 66542

I have not mounted the spare yet, but I really like that I am now running the same bolt pattern as my Tacoma - I will have a second spare with me when I am travelling. The pictures do not really show the ground clearance very well, I think the truck would get stuck before the trailer...