Wilderness hunting in CA

Dunndm

WKR
There is a lot of local wilderness about an hour and a half from my door step to the wild and Ive been doing some scouting there and have seen a few deer here and there but haven't gotten any closer then 70 yards.
Does anyone have any tips on how to hunt wilderness areas and what my plan of arrack should be?
So far I hike to the tallest point I can and glass for a while but I haven't seen anything doing that, I see then more when I walk up on them on accident. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have been doing this recently, it is because the deer have migrated out of the high country. They wont return until late spring.

As far as hunting them with a bow, you should do what your doing. Get up high, find them, watch them, put them to bed and then stalk them once the thermals have steadied. I hunt them much like mule deer.

Beendare

WKR
Depends on the wilderness area.....

Mtn lions have annihilated the deer population is some areas of Ca. Where I am, you get back in the remote areas and don't see a deer track...but then come down closer to civilization....and there they are...lions pushing them.

That said there is good deer hunting in some areas.....and you are right, as a bowhunter....seeing them a couple hundred yards out is when the hunt starts. Stalking can be challenging....but probably your best bet. Easier if you have a spotter.

Treestands work....but can be spotty with low population density.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Depends on the wilderness area.....

Mtn lions have annihilated the deer population is some areas of Ca. Where I am, you get back in the remote areas and don't see a deer track...but then come down closer to civilization....and there they are...lions pushing them.

That said there is good deer hunting in some areas.....and you are right, as a bowhunter....seeing them a couple hundred yards out is when the hunt starts. Stalking can be challenging....but probably your best bet. Easier if you have a spotter.

Treestands work....but can be spotty with low population density.

A spotter? What do you mean? Like I stalk them then they follow them if I push them? I usually go solo or if the fiancé can go she doesn't hunt but glasses with me and likes to hike around.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spotter watches them while you put on your stalk and helps direct you to your preys location.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Spotter watches them while you put on your stalk and helps direct you to your preys location.

With what communication? Head set?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
With what communication? Head set?

Most times you'll need to use hand signals but some states allow radio use. I'm not sure what California allows

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Most times you'll need to use hand signals but some states allow radio use. I'm not sure what California allows

Thank you, I'll have to look into it. Appreciate the help.

Would it be a good idea to take the 1 or 2 trails that are in the wilderness area and then just hike off path and set up camp deep into the wild? I've never done wilderness areas so this is all new to me

boom

WKR
sounds like you are off to a good start.

i FINALLY killed my first CA deer with a bow, two years ago. i just did what you are doing. glassing, and hiking.

one thing i did do..i sucked it up and started to practice shooting arrows at 100 yards. believe me, i sucked for a long time. but after awhile, i noticed my arrows patterns were at least "minute of deer vitals". i could if i wanted to shoot an arrow at an unsuspecting deer and connect. i never tried..but what it did do was make a 70 yard shot very doable.

my CA deer..i belly crawled until i could go no further..i ranged him, and he was at 67 yards quartering away. zip..one arrow, he went 20 yards and toppled..i literally cried a little. hey, dust got in my eye from crawling.

and electronic communication is no go here in CA. handsignals only.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
sounds like you are off to a good start.

i FINALLY killed my first CA deer with a bow, two years ago. i just did what you are doing. glassing, and hiking.

one thing i did do..i sucked it up and started to practice shooting arrows at 100 yards. believe me, i sucked for a long time. but after awhile, i noticed my arrows patterns were at least "minute of deer vitals". i could if i wanted to shoot an arrow at an unsuspecting deer and connect. i never tried..but what it did do was make a 70 yard shot very doable.

my CA deer..i belly crawled until i could go no further..i ranged him, and he was at 67 yards quartering away. zip..one arrow, he went 20 yards and toppled..i literally cried a little. hey, dust got in my eye from crawling.

and electronic communication is no go here in CA. handsignals only.

I currently shoot at 70 but that's as far as my sight let's me go. I guess I'll need to start talking with the fiancé/hunting partner about hand signals and how it's going to work for this up coming season.
Sounds like I need to be pretty proficient up to 60-70 yards if I want to have a good chance of being successful.

boom

WKR
I currently shoot at 70 but that's as far as my sight let's me go. I guess I'll need to start talking with the fiancé/hunting partner about hand signals and how it's going to work for this up coming season.
Sounds like I need to be pretty proficient up to 60-70 yards if I want to have a good chance of being successful.

preaching to the choir, friend.

i am about to embark on some insanity for myself. i am shopping for a left hand bow to take advantage of my much stronger and dominant eye. this could go sideways.

good luck. i think CA has some amazing wilderness. not only for hunting, but it rekindled my love for all things TROUT.

i have seem some GIANT bucks. getting next to one is another matter entirely..they dont get giant by being dumb. i think Western open hunting is really doing everything right..as right as possible, and hoping the game animal makes a mistake.

boom

WKR
oh, this year..CA wilderness.

i am going to change it up a bit. i am hunting where there is more plant life. scouting, i have been getting up to 45 yards of deer. if i can keep that up on the archery season, i just might tip over #2.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Seems like most the answers in short are I gotta get out there and practice.

Anyone got any tips? How to stalk, signs to look for? Anything that might help even a little.

530Chukar

WKR
They are in there. Your best bet if you're hunting where I think you are is to be in the burns and glass from there at daylight and the last 30 minutes of light. They're going to be bedded most of the day since it's so damn hot. You can glass non-burned areas as well but it's so thick anymore I think time is better spent in burns. I've had luck still hunting on lesser used trails deeper in the wilderness and jumping animals from beds.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
They are in there. Your best bet if you're hunting where I think you are is to be in the burns and glass from there at daylight and the last 30 minutes of light. They're going to be bedded most of the day since it's so damn hot. You can glass non-burned areas as well but it's so thick anymore I think time is better spent in burns. I've had luck still hunting on lesser used trails deeper in the wilderness and jumping animals from beds.

The areas im in aren't too burned. They were about 10 years ago but now they are back and not thick, but not black charcoal anymore. It's pretty open on top of the mountains but thick where the water is running through again.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
What elevation are you hunting and what time of year?

I'm scouting right now. At 52-5500 and I hike up to around 6500 maybe a little higher.
I'll be there in the fall October-November

find a spot to glass the old burn. Depending on wilderness, the old burn should be covered in patches of white thorn. the deer are in the white thorn, especially around areas that still have some tall green timber close. Look hard, they dont move much

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Onxmaps has a layer that shades the map in purple based on how far from a road it is. That's a good start. Try to find pockets where roads and established trails don't go.