Archery elk Oregon southern cascades

COMTNMAN

FNG
Hello all! I am new to rockslide and will be new to Oregon elk hunting this year. I have lived and hunted elk in Colorado the past 7 years, and have had success in OTC bow and gun seasons. This year, I am relocating to southern Oregon for work, and hope to take my dad out with me on our first Elk hunt outside of Colorado.

I am beginning my e scouting in the Indigo, Dixon, and Rogue units since they will be closest to us. My first instinct is to look into the wilderness areas. Anyone on here bow hunting in the Rogue-umpqua divide wilderness? Sky lakes wilderness? Any advice/tips on starting points or areas to start doing some scouting this summer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Pumped to try our luck on some cascade Rosies!

Also, we are very familiar with several units in SW Colorado and would be happy to share area knowledge/info to anyone interested!

Scout A LOT

I have a good friend that hunts the cascades.

It takes an enormous amount of scouting each year, and lots of seasons to figure it out. He hunts his ass off almost the whole season as well.

Very tuff hunt to fill your tag on each year

Oregon has changed how they report harvest statistics. There is a lot of information in that statistics to help you narrow down where to start.

Late response here, but maybe it’ll help.

We have chased muzzleloader elk in those units for years. Sometimes we see elk, rarely do we see bulls.

The national forest land is heavily hunted and success rates are 4-5% usually. There are good elk in there, but it takes a lot of work to find them. Scout scout scout. I’ve been told that the backside of Anderson Butte holds decent elk but I haven’t verified that for myself.

GoBig

FNG
Hunting General season westside elk may be close to what Colorado Elk seasons look like, without the orange. Hard to get away from anyone and not near as many elk. they are fragmented into small groups in certain areas. The wildernesses are small and mostly burned off, not many elk in them from my experience. I hunt blacktail when I don't draw and have hunted the elk hunt a few times before they changed the dates. It's not a tag to be picky on, most people won't' ever see an elk let alone a bull.