Changes to your 2018 system

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Going from EMR 2 to Fulcrum this year is the big one for me. Simply cause its what I asked for after first using it in 2014...just took 3 years for my wish to get granted....but Aron still got it done. :)

FlyGuy

WKR
Haha I'm 21 and I'm fortunate enough to be able to commute to college from home while still working about 30 hours a week. I know I should be saving that money at this point, but I don't have many expenses other than gas and helping out with a few bills so it's more fun to buy gear lol. And I figure now is the time to start buying all this stuff, before I have more responsibilities and have to start paying back loans haha. Plus, I'm out in the woods almost every day for a couple hours after school or all day on the weekends, so it's definitely worth it to me to buy quality stuff.

Most of all though, I just have a spending addiction...
Well, you are definitely in good company around here!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Switched my Razor optics to swaro's
Picked up a pair of Crispi thor's for summer and early season hunting
New Sig sauer range finder
Kuiu 2p tent for me and the boy
And the biggest addition and the best one ever is my 12 yr old son. He's going try his hand at a spring black bear then some stone sheep hunting in the fall, or maybe a goat, elk,moose or deer, or whatever we can get him. Sure wish I was sheep hunting at 12!!

big44a4

WKR
Mystery ranch pintler from horn hunter full curl ...big difference

New klymit ultralight insulated... replaced last years that had a leak at valve stem piece

North face furnace 0* from outdoors 0* cheapo

Mountainsmith lt from a cabelas 1 man bivioic A frame more room bout same weight

Sitka dew point from cabelas goretex rain jacket few years old

Found different more accurate factory loads for rifle

Soto micro from esbit block fuel stove or fire

Tripod adapter for binos +++++ big differences

Couple new clothes pieces

How do you like the MR pack and the LT shelter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
My changes in 2018:

Stone Glacier R3 to the SKY 5900

Mathews Outback to the new Mathews Triax

Military Sleep system to a Western Mountaineering Versalite

Cabelas rain jacket and military gortex pants to Outdoor Research Foray Jacket and pants

Things I still want to upgrade:

Exped sleeping pad (440z) to thermarest xtherm max (22oz)

Military 2 man tent to a cimmaron with a stove

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to change my cooking set up ! I've been using a Jetboil ( easy and works ) but want to be able to cook on the tent stove so looking at Ti pots and stoves would be nice to drop a few OZ at the sams time 😉

Agross

WKR
1. FHF bino and rangefinder harness
2. Mystery Ranch Pintler
3. First lite tag cuff beanie, and Woodbury

Happy with all my purchases, but man I love that Woodbury, perfect for hunting up here.

elkyinzer

WKR
Interesting thread, I like to go back and look at what I said a few years back about gear changes and how my thoughts have evolved.

Added the new Mystery Ranch Pop-up 28 for my day hunting. Only had it out twice so far in daypack mode, but loving it. Bought it not really sure what I was going to use it for, but I think it's going to become my go-to pack for everything from elk day hunts out West to treestand whitetail hunting and year round scouting at home. Smart design, a high-functioning daypack that can turn into a decent load hauler instead of vice versa. I could see it really catching on and shifting the paradigm in that market to some degree.

In the whitetail woods, trying out tree saddle hunting. Bought an Aero Hunter Kestrel and built a platform. Been kind of a curiosity of mine since I first heard of it probably 10 years ago, and I finally pulled the trigger. It's definitely "weird" coming from a lifetime of tree stands, but I think I'll get used to its intricacies.

A few bow changes, going from vented to non-vented 3 blade VPAs. And switching to AAE Max Stealth vanes from blazers. Trying to reduce the noise of my setup after having 3 does over the past two years "jump the string", which I've come to believe after some experimentation is more commonly due to deer dodging the sound of the whizzing arrow. Also probably due for new strings in cables. Got 5 years out of the factory stings on my Elite Answer.

Bought a couple different brand of lighted nocks to try out. Don't think I'm going to stick with them. They are a bit of a PIA and I just don't think they add a whole lot unless you film your hunts.

Picked up a FL Woodbury at the end of last year. Only got to hunt with it twice but it is awesome so far. Really nails down my November whitetail system. I found myself wearing it so much over the winter I almost bought a non-camo version. Only complaint is the sizing, as per usual with First Lite, the torso length is shorter than I would like, but it works. They need to add tall sizes.

Need to replace my GoLite down jacket. Got about 3 years out of it, but seems to have significantly lost its insulating properties. I'm done with down, that was my first decent down piece and at least in an every day type jacket I've found I just like the Primaloft better.

OP
mfllood3800
I figured you were just researching high fence elk ranches with primitive camp grounds nearby lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sneaky, I don't need to research, I got you buwahahaha

Seriously I do appreciate all your help- you were (hopefully) my biggest upgrade this year

OP
mfllood3800
Wow, big game hunting is turning into waterfowl hunting. This guy sucks because of this and this guy is better because of that crap, really?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
What?
I missed something?

The whole randy thing is one guy
And it appears Ryan has handled it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
Using La Sportiva Akashas instead of boots for early season.

Getting a HPG Qui-Ya to boost my range and load hauling.

This wil be my first year with a recurve, so that's all new.

Still have my mix of FL and Sitka, interested in the Halstead Hoody once it drops.

Mosby

WKR
So far, I bought a new Kodiak flex bow tent for some of my solo trips. A bit more comfortable than my current 2 man.

Got a Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod, a dozen new VAP arrows, Slick Trick vipers and I got a couple of First Lite and Sitka tops for layering.

A new rangefinder, a 5900 SG bag and a Tarptent(I want a lighter 2 man) are still on my list along with trading in my old hunting truck for a new one. I need to pack myself before my wife kills me.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
This year will be my first hunt out west so basically everything is an upgrade since it’s all new (at least to me) I have picked up quite a few things from fellow roksliders.

Still need to get a few new things. Looking for a new pair of boots, some clothing pieces, and a quilt. Possibly a spotter and Tripod.

The actual upgrades for Midwest white tail are moving over to a saddle from my lone wolf alpha and gaining confidence past twenty yards shooting my bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk