Pressure washers

Thinking of getting a pressure washer for basic round the house cleaning. I wouldn't use it often, maybe a couple times a year. For this reason a gas motor kind of puts me off. Are there any electric pressure washers worth the money?

Honestly, the electric pressure washers I have been around were not that great. They are built pretty weak, lower pressures, and don't seem to last that long. A couple of years of lite use usually. They are useful tools that once you have one you will find more and more uses for it. I understand having another engine to maintain and a higher price than the electric, but they are more capable and last longer. My neighbor just retired his 15 ish year old Craftsman last fall because the pump finally went out. My Toro is still going strong on year 5 or 6.

I didn't wanna store mine or continue replacing the hose so I traded it to a rental yard who gives me a rental free anytime I want. I can pick the size I need.

The only electric ones I have been around were weak. I have a gas powered one I bought at Costco at least ten years ago that is still going strong and we use it a lot. It has a Honda motor on it .

Craftsman, karcher, and generac all make good electric pressure washers for light duty use. my father-in-law uses his for his atvs, house windows, deck, etc..... and it works fine. With todays gas, it does take more maintenance to keep small engines running from season to season and tearing a carb apart isn't for everyone. Using nonoxygenated fuel helps alot but that's another topic. I'm sure there's more brands but these 3 are all pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

nrh6.7

WKR
I would not waste my cash on an electric pw from what I've seen of them. I have a Honda powered washer that I bought in 2003 and has been one of the best buys I have made. It'll clean anything, starts easily and I haven't spent anything on it other than fuel.

Tod osier

WKR
I was in the same spot as you several years ago. I was hesitant to add another gas motor to my long list of motors and looked for an electric. I had used an electric before that had a very large electric motor on it like a real 1/2 or 1 hp motor (don't remember) - if you find them they are super expensive and you have to manage a thick cord and hose. A big one is the real deal, but they are several times more expensive then a gas one. I bought a gas one with a honda motor and have not had any problems with no special care.

I would disagree with above. I have two electric units and for most things they work fine. For stripping paint or tons of mud on your truck you need high pressure but for most everything else a decent 110 unit works fine. I mounted one to garage wall along with a hose reel and plumbed in. Can deploy in seconds. Gets lots of use. Send cell if you want a photo....

Titan

WKR
I agree that electric ones can be junk. But check in your area walmart's for the red "Hyper Tough" electric unit. Normally $120 but clearance at $30 in most stores if they have one. Tag won't show the sale, but it should ring up at $30.

For that price...they are pretty handy.

Ive had an AR Blue Clean 383 for about a year now that I bought on sale at Menards and then a rebate which brought my cost to something like $90. I see they have a new model now (383ss), and it gets pretty good reviews.

I haven't used mine a ton, but I've used it to clean up my 4 wheeler, side by side, get the chunks off my truck, some farm equipment, etc and I've been pretty impressed with it for a small pressure washer.

My dad has the same one and uses his quite a bit and has been very happy with it.

I'm looking for a pressure washer too. Thinking of getting an electric one.

My dad has had a Karcher for years and I know it has a problem with leaking and something wrong with the pressure as well so I want to get something else. Might be that Karcher is actually good and the problems are because he leaves it in the shed over winter and never maintains it but yeah. He only rarely uses it to wash a car so it's fine for him I guess.

I'm thinking of going with the Sun Joe?
Anybody here have any experience with the Sun Joe power washers?

I don't care about it being heavy duty. I'll just be using it to clean my truck, boat etc.

My main concern is if it's reliable with good quality parts that last?

Any first-hand experience appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I really think it depends on what you want to do. If your wanting to clean concrete patios and driveways then an electric would probably leave you disappointed. If your just looking to clean a car or trailer, a small fence, maybe some windows, blow the scales off a salmon or two, and the occasional cleaning of a small to medium deck or patio furniture an electric works just fine.

My wife loves the electric pressure washer. Its small and easy to use. Also not so powerful that it damages things. They are 1/3 the price of a gas unit and last several years. If you get the ones where the gun screws to the hose and the hose screws into the unit you can replace the gun when it starts to leak.

All pressure washers die quickly if operated without water supply.

KJH

WKR
I have a 20+ year old craftsman that starts on the first pull every time. Its not a very big one. I use 3-5 times a year. I've never winterized it or changed the oil. Its bulletproof. They only thing I've done is replace the hose after the original cracked and replaced one of the original wheels.

I tried an electric. It was worthless and was returned immediately. There was no comparison between the two.

I got the Ryobi 1800 psi over a year ago. Decent reviews and best bang for the buck among electric power washers.

Ryobi 1,800 psi 1.2 GPM Electric Pressure Washer

Over a hundred hours on it so far. Mostly cleaning a maple root ball. Works fine. If I need to concentrate the power, I just change tips. Be careful if you get a 0° tip. It will cut things including you.

I have used the Flagup, and Ryobi electric washers. Not a fan of the electric washers for big things like your house. For doing the deck, or a trailer, car undercarriage they work great.
If you decide to go electric you can only go so large before you start popping breakers. The Flagup if I remember right is 3000psi 1.8gpm, and 1800 watts or 15 amps so that might something to keep in mind.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I wouldnt mind to have one to wash my truck off and blow the snow/salt combo that builds up here in virginia, about what PSI should i look at for spraying off a vehicle?