Side by side vs quad

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Good call Blockcaver! My mistake. Still, if you can find a Dial-a-Jet, it is easy to make any required corrections. Clutch adjustments, not so much.

gbflyer

WKR
Also have both. I keep the Honda Forman ATV in CO. Just do trail riding, nothing extreme. Tried my Honda P500 there because many of the trails are 50”. It has many good things about it but I experienced what no one else has mentioned here with a SXS. The dust is absolutely horrible and there is no escape. That crushed all the positives for me. I grew up farming, eating dirt on old tractors and I’m way over it. When you’re not eating someone else’s dust you’re eating that which you have created. My friends have SXS Razor’s etc., and it’s the same thing in them. They foam all the holes, put in back windows, wear dust masks, but it’s still really bad. They are happy blowing mud as long as they look cool on their $15K Razors I guess, and are content cleaning air filters daily. So I put on an extra layer of clothes when it’s chilly and ride my Foreman.

I brought the P500 home to SE AK where dust is very uncommon. It’s great here.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I used to have 4 X 4's and recently went with a S x S. I live in the bluff country of Wisconsin and use it primarily for chores on the farm and hunting. I ride primarily on unimproved roads and logging roads - hauling hunting equipment, chainsaws, feed, people, etc. I have three kids under aged 13 and I like the safety of the S x S and the fact that I can haul up to 5 people in my Honda Pioneer. For me, the S x S is an improvement from the 4 x 4. And the Honda Pioneer has been very reliable.

I just sold my atv and got a Can-Am Commander. I wish I would have kept the atv. Not instead of but in addition to the Commander. They both have their place. The atv was so easy to load and head out. The Commander is maybe the most comfortable utv out there. Trail riding the Commander all the way. For ease of use and hunting I will probably buy another atv. Now, there are utvs that will easily fit in the back of the truck. For a hunting purpose utv I would get the Pioneer. Maybe that is the way I will go, find a used Pioneer 500 for hunting, build a little box for the back for gear.

gwl79902

WKR
Why not get a toyota 4x4 short bed. Lift kit good tires maybe a canopy. Seems like it would go most places I see side by sides and you can legally run on the pavement.

blackdawg

WKR
Traded in my old foreman for the pioneer 500. It really is nice to have a dry space to sit and a windshield to block the cold. Can stack em up in the back like cordwood also
9e5c3f6698f86102f6626e21b8fde544.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billinsd

WKR
Also have both. I keep the Honda Forman ATV in CO. Just do trail riding, nothing extreme. Tried my Honda P500 there because many of the trails are 50”. It has many good things about it but I experienced what no one else has mentioned here with a SXS. The dust is absolutely horrible and there is no escape. That crushed all the positives for me. I grew up farming, eating dirt on old tractors and I’m way over it. When you’re not eating someone else’s dust you’re eating that which you have created. My friends have SXS Razor’s etc., and it’s the same thing in them. They foam all the holes, put in back windows, wear dust masks, but it’s still really bad. They are happy blowing mud as long as they look cool on their $15K Razors I guess, and are content cleaning air filters daily. So I put on an extra layer of clothes when it’s chilly and ride my Foreman.

I brought the P500 home to SE AK where dust is very uncommon. It’s great here.
Great to know. I have asthma and hate eating dirt myself.

WKR
Is it the windshield that creates the dust problem in a side-by-side? If you were to put a half windshield, or no windshield at all, on it wouldn't that solve the problem? I don't really know, I'm just asking.

LaGriz

WKR
Great Thread!
I have been running a 2006 Yamaha Grizzly with a carburetor. I purchased the Quad with two complete sets of mounted tires and less than a 100 hours on the machine. I find the 660 Grizzly to be a bit loud, and because I run on public land, I have to use the stock tires. Have considered an "up grade" to a side-by-side. The same public land issue will limit my use depending on the with of the SBS.

I have only trailered the ATV out west once in 2010 on a WY rifle elk hunt. Pulling the ATV behind my then Nissan Titan made my normally poor HWY mileage only that much worse. To add insult to injury I only put about 10 miles on the quad during the whole trip. Anywhere I could go with my ATV, my 4X4 Titan could go while being in a heated truck.

I'm considering dragging the Yamaha to Northern New Mexico this September. Primary purpose will be game recovery options on the very rough jeep trails. I have been using my 2011 Tacoma 4X4 the last few years, but don't want to risk damage in the really bad sections of trail. I have found legal 2-tracks and jeep trails that could let me get the truck close to a would be kill site. This would have the benefit of limiting the distance required of a pack out on a warm September day.

Anyone have any 1st hand knowledge of a "stealth exhaust" on a 660 or 700cc ATV? Is this something to consider in an effort to quiet the bike somewhat? Also at elevations from 7500'-9500' in your opinion, Will I need to "re-jet" the carburetor or possibly install a dial-a-jet option? Like I said, only limited use on the 2010 trip. I don't remember the ATV performance being all that effected on that Wyoming hunt.

LaGriz

blackdawg

WKR
I put the soft rear panel on the pioneer 500 and front glass. I think without rear panel, dust is severe on all side by sides. I can see a huge amount of dust collection on the panel and the toolbox/basket rack. The Pioneer 500 can be loaded in most pickup beds also, I have a topper on current truck and was able to use the same 5x8 utility trailer that I hauled the Foreman on.

307 - Yes, on all accounts. If you have a full windshield on the front, you'll need one on the back.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I got a fold up windshield. I can crack it partly open to keep some airflow and minimize the dust.

I have had quads, polaris Sportsman x2. SxS, Can Am Commander. The Can Am was great for hauling gear, another hunter, and dead elk. BUT.... like mentioned above the dust was terrible. I decided to get a Jeep Wrangler. Its enclosed with heat and A/C. Will 4 wheel anywere I need it go. I put a roof rack on it to hual dead animals. We typically hunt late and pretty far from my home town. I'll tow the jeep behind my truck to camp, I can then leave camp daily in the jeep and drive it on both highway and jeep trails. You can find a older jeep for far less than a new 4 seat SxS.

I did the Jeep thing too. Horrible with all the bouncing and maintenance. I can take a trail at 20mph on an atv/utv that is a 5mph trail in a Jeep. An old Jeep and new utv may cost the same but upkeep is not the same. If you want heat you can enclose and heat a utv. In Utah I can also register it and drive it on a Hwy. I also have been on many trails to get to good trailheads or jump off points that a Jeep would not fit on.

I guess the point is nothing will ever check all the boxes.

Is it the windshield that creates the dust problem in a side-by-side? If you were to put a half windshield, or no windshield at all, on it wouldn't that solve the problem? I don't really know, I'm just asking.

On my RZR to control dust during the dry periods I take off my front half window. It really helps. I also had my wife sew a fabric rear screen "window" which helps minimize dust, with or without the half window. They can be purchased commercially but the one she made works very well. It also controls mud from the back which somehow gets up there.

I completely agree, it all depends on the individual and what they value most. Another bonus with the jeep is that I drive to work a few times a week to help keep the miles off my truck. Also the wife likes cruising it in the summer with the top down. I did recently pick up a toy hauler and im considering getting another quad to put in it and go for an all in one camp.

Anyone have any 1st hand knowledge of a "stealth exhaust" on a 660 or 700cc ATV? Is this something to consider in an effort to quiet the bike somewhat? Also at elevations from 7500'-9500' in your opinion, Will I need to "re-jet" the carburetor or possibly install a dial-a-jet option? Like I said, only limited use on the 2010 trip. I don't remember the ATV performance being all that effected on that Wyoming hunt.

LaGriz[/QUOTE]

I have a Kolpin Silent Exhaust "second muffler" on my Polaris RZR 800. It was obnoxiously loud without it. With the sound pressure app SPLnFFT on my iPhone I measured before and after dBs. The reduction was 7 dB at 3,000 RPM in the cab near my head...forgot the exact starting and ending sound but that is a huge reduction since the dB scale is logarithmic (Think it was about 102 to 95 dB but just don't remember). The Kolpin unit is still working well 4 years after I installed it. The Polaris spark arrestor fits in the Kolpin unit as well. Don't know how it would work on a Yamaha Grizzly quad, but expect it would help. Good luck with it.

I completely agree, it all depends on the individual and what they value most. Another bonus with the jeep is that I drive to work a few times a week to help keep the miles off my truck. Also the wife likes cruising it in the summer with the top down. I did recently pick up a toy hauler and im considering getting another quad to put in it and go for an all in one camp.

I do miss my Jeep in the summer. We have considered making the utv street legal to drive to work. I don't know I want the miles on it either though.

Traded in my old foreman for the pioneer 500. It really is nice to have a dry space to sit and a windshield to block the cold. Can stack em up in the back like cordwood also
9e5c3f6698f86102f6626e21b8fde544.jpg

That's a sweet setup on the 500.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk