UTV and trailer combo

sivart

WKR
I know that this has been discussed before. I've read a lot of old threads. Finally have the funds saved.

What UTV do you recommend. I want it to be as maneuverable as possible. narrow enough to be legal on most trails. higher the clearance the better. reliable. Looking closely at the Honda Pioneer.

Next thing, and just as important is the trailer. Want something that is quick on and off. Would really prefer an enclosed trailer that I could get other gear in, and even sleep in if needed. Not real big. same thing, high ground clearance, and fairly mobile.

Any suggestions? thanks

I know that this has been discussed before. I've read a lot of old threads. Finally have the funds saved.

What UTV do you recommend. I want it to be as maneuverable as possible. narrow enough to be legal on most trails. higher the clearance the better. reliable. Looking closely at the Honda Pioneer.

Next thing, and just as important is the trailer. Want something that is quick on and off. Would really prefer an enclosed trailer that I could get other gear in, and even sleep in if needed. Not real big. same thing, high ground clearance, and fairly mobile.

Any suggestions? thanks
I have a Pioneer 1k5. I like the machine well enough. Pioneer’s are notoriously hot in the cab and rattle traps. They are also dependable. Yamaha and Can Am would. E worth looking at IMO. When you look for an enclosed trailer, make sure your rear door opening is tall enough to fit your utv. I have a 7x16 enclosed and it works very well, albeit it’s a pain trying to get out or in the machine when it’s loaded. The bigger machines obviously aren’t going to meet that 50” max trail width.

pictures of your setups would be greatly appreciated...
I don’t have any pics of my machine loaded up in the trailer, but here is one of it pulling my camp out after whitetail season.

Attachments

• 9C4172EE-15D3-43D8-9D40-6CDB588075E8.jpeg
    9C4172EE-15D3-43D8-9D40-6CDB588075E8.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 64

11boo

WKR
I looked into that for my Wolverine. Didn’t like the idea of dragging a nice trailer behind a nice truck up a bad road, and like being able to hike from camp to hunt, or just a short ride on a bad road in the SxS to hunt.

I went the other way.

Last year, and it was hard on this trailer, plus it had to be close to max tow weight.
IMG_6709.jpeg

New trailer for this year.

IMG_7976.jpeg

See if you can find the post from Jordan Budd, she built up a cargo trailer to haul a SxS and camp in.

I have a Can Am Maverick trail. It’s 50” wide so is legal on most ATV trails. I’ll probably buy a cheap set of rims with a different offset for areas that I don’t need to be a max of 50” wide.

I tried out all the 50” SxS and the Can Am was the one I liked best.

I haul it in an enclosed trailer. Not sure exact width but it’s 12’ long. Even with a 50” machine it seems tight inside. I use it for camping in sometimes depending on the trip.

idahodave

WKR
It’s has to be 50” or less to be legal on 99% of USFS designated motorized trails. They manage to a 50” width classification. I wouldn’t bother looking at anything over that mark personally, as your truck will be legal in almost all the same routes past 50”.

Dave

11boo

WKR
Yeah, I’m denied a handful of trails in my 62”, and I started looking at 50” machines for that reason. There is no storage in a 50” comparable to this.

IMG_6648.jpeg

Depends on where you are. In NM I don't see many width restricted trails except in a couple high OHV areas.

The point of a SXS is that you can run gnarly two tracks at 3X the speed of your truck without fear of breaking it (mostly).

IMO Yamaha X4/RMAX are a great compromise.

11boo

WKR
I would hate bringing my truck to camp. I’ve done it on dry roads and it is doable. That road wet is a truck killer.

I got tired of almost really messing up Tacoma on the NF roads in Colorado. Some of them are total pucker inducing. I purchased a Honda Rubicon 520 and will eventually buy a larger Honda Pioneer later down the road. Figured the Rubicon will do most of the trails as Colorado has a lot of 50” restriction areas but would be nice to have a UTV for the occasions where I can go wider. I didn’t like the 50” UTV options. Seemed like just a worse version of an atv to me.

11boo

WKR
Yep. I can access my area in my truck, on dry roads it takes 3x as long, and vehicle damage is possible. On wet I would chain up and say a prayer.

The SxS just goes.

Lytro

WKR
What's your trailer budget? Cargo Craft makes a pretty slick off-road trailer only available through a dealership in Castle Rock, CO. They've gone up in price recently though. I have a Can Am Maverick Trail and a 6'x12' Cargo Craft Off-Road. Tight fit, but it does work. I would go with the 7'x14' or 16' if I was buying one now.0FC29CB8-B67E-4593-AAEF-8840DD81805C.jpeg49F9FAAD-A4EE-4B47-8261-CE960567EA74.jpeg

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
IMG_3082.pngIMG_3087.pngIMG_3081.png
I have a Polaris ranger 1000 and a 16 foot V nose that I converted to sleep inside. Trailer has bunk beds, couple of fold out tables and some cabinets built into the nose. Didn’t cost a ton and there’s plenty or room to move in and out once the sxs is inside.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
Does anyone know if you can get a windshield for the Pioneer 500?