Why did Colorado charge me 40 bucks for bear and antelope?

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
As the title says, I bought a point for those species and more, thinking it would only be 3 dollars since I bought a license last year.

No other species charged me an extra 40 for the point, what gives?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

nrh6.7

WKR
I just learned this the hard way also. Bear, antelope, deer and elk all come with a $40 PP fee that occurs after the draw. The only way to avoid the $40 fee is to either have purchased an annual 2017 license or have held a tag last year for a specific species. If you had the license the $3 per species is all you would've paid for each of the four. However, if you had an elk tag last year, you would be exempt from the $40 for elk, but would have to pay for bear, deer and lope if you applied for a point. We missed the cutoff of May 31, 2018 to buy a 2017 license, but I won't be making that mistake again.

Moose, goat and sheep are just the $3.

ndbuck09

WKR
The cutoff was March 31 i guess. I bought a fishing license on April 3rd 2018 thinking that would save me the $40 for the deer, elk and proghorn preference points but I still got dinged for the $40 each. I called them and they said the deadline for a 2017 fishing license was March 31 and since i bought mine on April 3rd, I had a 2018 fishing license so it didn't count as a "previous" year license.

Frankly, the rules are out there for sure but it is a pretty nuanced system that allows them to reap extra money based on little tricky details. I'm sure they are fans of this as the department though. At the end of the day, I'm now going to be exempt from the extra moneys next year but I could see them changing it to where this advantage will be negated, ie: a price increase to get apply for a point.

nrh6.7

WKR
Here's a cut/paste from the regs:

▶ HOW IT WORKS. If you do not hold an active 2017 annual* or big game license, or do not receive a license through the draw for the species, you will be charged $40 PER SPECIES (for deer, elk, pronghorn and bear), for which you get a preference point. This fee applies to residents and nonresidents, except for resident deer or pronghorn: Residents getting deer or pronghorn preference points will be charged only $30 for each of those. For example: If a nonresident (who isn’t exempt from the fee) receives a point for all four species, they will be charged $160. A resident would be charged $140.
▶ HOW TO AVOID IT. If you don’t want to pay the fee, you have until March 31, 2018, to purchase a 2017 annual fishing, annual small game, annual resident combination fishing and small game, or resident senior fishing license. Customers are also exempt if they held any big game license the previous year or draw a license of the same species as which they would be charged the point in the current year.
* ANNUAL LICENSES INCLUDE: annual fishing, annual small game, annual resident combination fishing and small game, or resident senior fishing license. Any returned, refunded or surrendered licenses do not qualify.

dotman

WKR
As the title says, I bought a point for those species and more, thinking it would only be 3 dollars since I bought a license last year.

No other species charged me an extra 40 for the point, what gives?

If you had a tag last year and were charged you need to call and get a refund.

dotman

WKR
The cutoff was March 31 i guess. I bought a fishing license on April 3rd 2018 thinking that would save me the $40 for the deer, elk and proghorn preference points but I still got dinged for the $40 each. I called them and they said the deadline for a 2017 fishing license was March 31 and since i bought mine on April 3rd, I had a 2018 fishing license so it didn't count as a "previous" year license.

Frankly, the rules are out there for sure but it is a pretty nuanced system that allows them to reap extra money based on little tricky details. I'm sure they are fans of this as the department though. At the end of the day, I'm now going to be exempt from the extra moneys next year but I could see them changing it to where this advantage will be negated, ie: a price increase to get apply for a point.

Not really, it’s a pretty simple concept, you have until Mar 31st each year to buy a tag or fishing or small game annual license or you pay to earn prf points.

Now if you don’t read the regs then it’s on you for not knowing as we are now on year two of this process.

Fitzwho

WKR
TexanSam, especially since they didn’t charge you the $40 for the other species and you had a license last year, just give them a call. I would bet that they get you straightened out and your $80 refunded.

nrh6.7

WKR
Sam, just reread your post and noticed you bought a license last year. You can obviously disregard my post.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
On the phone right now, there are 20 callers ahead of me. I don't have time for this seeing as how I need to be working during government business hours. Is there like an email address that I could get ahold of them at?

So next year could a non-resident buy an annual fishing license ($56) to save money on preference points for multiple species?

vanish

WKR
So next year could a non-resident buy an annual fishing license ($56) to save money on preference points for multiple species?

Changes are in the works. Don't take anything from this year and think it will be applicable for next year.