A couple of rookies and their lessons

OP
B

BH2010

FNG
From the information you described. don’t bring your bro back.
Yeah... sad, but I've already been hitting up some other, more motivated guys for 2024. It's not for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
I researched altitude sickness prior to an elk hunt several years ago. Some of the things I learned were:

1). It takes time above 7,000 ft for the body to begin to acclimate.
2). Physical conditioning will help you be able to do more at altitude but appears unrelated to the likelihood of having altitude sickness.
3). The medical community has been unable to identify predictors of who or when altitude sickness will strike.
4). Previous experience at altitude without difficulty is no predictor of the future.

That means your time in Denver was of no benefit. I would find a place to stay your first night in Co that is over 7000 ft. Then spend a second night car camping at a lower elevation than you hiked to that day.

Like others have said, if you are seeing does, there are bucks somewhere about. You are a step ahead for having had feet on the ground in that unit.

Nice job getting out there.

I have a few suggestions. If you like the backcountry stuff keep doing it. I also love that type of hunt. However, sometimes it's not the best method depending on the unit. I think you'd have a better time on a second season hunt.
Taking someone with a negative attitude is the worst, I would not take your brother again, I hate to say that but it's probably better. My wife comes with me quite often and the thing I love about it is she is an optimist through and through. I don't care if she's not the best glasser, but she is great morale support, which is even more important.

Also, I have learned even in warm weather I prefer thick wool socks. Kuiu has the best socks. They are padded where they need to be, even though your feet might get a little warm it prevents blisters big time.

Did you take a spotting scope?

OP
B

BH2010

FNG
Nice job getting out there.

I have a few suggestions. If you like the backcountry stuff keep doing it. I also love that type of hunt. However, sometimes it's not the best method depending on the unit. I think you'd have a better time on a second season hunt.
Taking someone with a negative attitude is the worst, I would not take your brother again, I hate to say that but it's probably better. My wife comes with me quite often and the thing I love about it is she is an optimist through and through. I don't care if she's not the best glasser, but she is great morale support, which is even more important.

Also, I have learned even in warm weather I prefer thick wool socks. Kuiu has the best socks. They are padded where they need to be, even though your feet might get a little warm it prevents blisters big time.

Did you take a spotting scope?
Thanks for the input. I'd love to try a 2nd season hunt sometime, but I'm a little worried about weather/roads/crowding.

I also did wear wool socks every day, love them so much I wear them around the house sometimes.

And we did not pack a spotter. I don't have a very good one and I didn't think the extra weight was justified. Again, wasting time in areas that aren't really as glassable (probably not even a word) as it looks on OnX was the bigger problem.

If you are not after a big buck you could have easily skimmed over a buck if you didn't have a spotter. Numerous times when I have put my spotter on what I thought was a doe was actually a buck, and sometimes even an okay buck.

Last edited:
OP
B

BH2010

FNG
If you are not after a big buck you could have easily skimmed over a buck if you didn't have a spotter. Numerous times when I have put my spotter on what I thought was a doe was actually a buck, and sometimes even a okay buck.
All of the does we saw were definitely does, none of them were that far away. I do need to get a better spotter though, just a lower priority for me right now compared to some other gear.

That's real cool man , you gave it a hell of try bruh. Sucks about your brother but with that type of hunting you just never know how someone will be or the attitude they'll have when it gets difficult until you're out there doing it. I started western hunting last year and it's definitely a learning curve but I'm 100% addicted and committed to it. The only advice I have for you is regarding your blisters. I pre-tape my heels with Leukotape then wear kennetrek liners and heavyweight darn tough socks on top and it works like a charm man . Learning that was a game changer.

Foldem

WKR
Good work! I wouldn't be too hard on your brother yet. Being sick is no fun and with altitude sickness I've been wiped out before when I was doing my short stint as an Oklahoma resident. Next year he knows what he's getting into and can be more prepared for it.

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
If your brother has his own tag next time, he might have a different attitude. But give the guy a break, altitude sickness is serious stuff.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
East-central, New Haven MO.

And yeah, it really sucked. The worst part was my brother's bad attitude, and it was a tough spot knowing he was over it and wanted to go home, and I was basically keeping him captive. But then, once we got home he felt terrible about it and apologized.

But I'll be back, already looking at options for 2024.

Interesting write up, sorry your brother got sick. Side note, I grew up in Cuba, MO and played baseball tournaments in New Haven (And other towns in the area). Small world.... I live in Arizona now and in our high country, the bigger bucks won't be with the does typically. Smaller/younger bucks will still be with the does (or close to them), but the bigger bucks won't be bunched up with them - they may be "in the region" but if you are seeing does, its unlikely you will see a big buck with the group of does. From my experience, the bigger bucks will be up at a higher elevation and its common to see a couple of bigger bucks together - so if you see one, keep looking as you likely will see more. If we are glassing and we see does, we move on to another area or we look around us and kind of rule that spot out for bigger bucks. We then go up higher or further into the bush away from people, ATVs, etc. Again, there may be some smaller bucks in that area when you see does, but doubtful you see big bucks with them. I'm curious to other's experience. Not sure how CO compares to eastern AZ when it comes to muleys. Again, just my experience. My advice would be to keep after it, don't give up and soak up as much experience each day you are out there. Western public land hunting is so vastly different from where you and I are from in the midwest. I love it, even as frustrating as it can be at times.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
The MeatEater podcast on that guy was super interesting, and somewhat concerning, but I'll look into it. In a similar vein, I was doing some cold showers and they definitely made an impact on me, but I'd say it was primarily mental.

Wim hoffs breathing technique is stupid, provides no benefit and is dangerous. Look up Erwan le Corre instead.

OP
B

BH2010

FNG
Interesting write up, sorry your brother got sick. Side note, I grew up in Cuba, MO and played baseball tournaments in New Haven (And other towns in the area). Small world.... I live in Arizona now and in our high country, the bigger bucks won't be with the does typically. Smaller/younger bucks will still be with the does (or close to them), but the bigger bucks won't be bunched up with them - they may be "in the region" but if you are seeing does, its unlikely you will see a big buck with the group of does. From my experience, the bigger bucks will be up at a higher elevation and its common to see a couple of bigger bucks together - so if you see one, keep looking as you likely will see more. If we are glassing and we see does, we move on to another area or we look around us and kind of rule that spot out for bigger bucks. We then go up higher or further into the bush away from people, ATVs, etc. Again, there may be some smaller bucks in that area when you see does, but doubtful you see big bucks with them. I'm curious to other's experience. Not sure how CO compares to eastern AZ when it comes to muleys. Again, just my experience. My advice would be to keep after it, don't give up and soak up as much experience each day you are out there. Western public land hunting is so vastly different from where you and I are from in the midwest. I love it, even as frustrating as it can be at times.
That echoes everything else I read about finding bucks, that they should have been higher. I think seeing does above treeline at 10,000+ ft threw us for a loop, and we didn't think about going further in after that.