long range BDC+turrets?

long range BDC or turrets

Had my first taste of longer range hunting this year and now I'm more or less hooked and looking to forego my holiday vacation for some new toys ;)
I have some friends who took me out elk hunting(i usually muzzle load or archery hunt and was able to harvest my first animal (cow elk) with a modern firearm this year), and who are very successful year after year with their set ups.
300 wby with shepherd scopes. the idea of those scopes makes sense to me, but the glass leaves much to be desired. I know there are many differing opinions on those scopes so I would not like to turn this thread into that type of discussion. I watched a one shot kill at 1050 Meters with one of these set ups this year so I know they can be effective, but fully understand their limitations..These guys hunt the same area every year, hand loaded rounds, similar conditions, etc.
My question is what are similar options for long range BDC's with dialing abilities.
My minimal research has lead me to the nightforce velocity 1000 reticle, which is available for multiple drops, a few that would closely match a 200 grain AB from a 300 WB.
The Zeiss rapid z1000 does not match up well at all for a 300 wby round, and the custom leupold leaves a bit to be desired.
I know many will say dialing MOA is the only way to go.. I was just looking for discussion on other scopes that might give similar abilities to the shepherd or nightforce.

Last edited:
OP
blackpowderhunter
I get the argument for dialing to exact environmental situations each time for different hunts.
This thread was more to start conversation on the different options...I am not one of those who pulls a gun out of the safe once a year to shoot.
I shoot recreational year round. I was able to harvest my cow elk, one shot, at 450 yards, with the aforementioned set up.
Again, I know the limitations to these set ups, I just wanted to start a discussion on similar options beyond the shepherd scopes.

Beastmode

WKR
Basically every scope manufacturer makes scopes with subtension lines in one way or another. Leupold makes a Boone and Crockett model which would be similar to your 300 Wby if I remember correctly. The other option is as you brought up above is a scope with MOA subtension lines. You can write on a piece of paper and tape it to your stock to match the MOA to a yardage for your shooting conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
Do you have a rifle already? Budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
blackpowderhunter
budget on the rifle end of things is probably between 1500-2k...
glass was looking to be under 1500 or so...the or so means I know how budgets always work with new toys.

Fierce fire arms has some great LR rifles in stock within your budget.
Look at the Fury set up.
A few options there with good glass on top.

Christensen Arms has some good rifles.

I have used many scopes on many different rifle configurations.
From Leupold, Vortex, NightForce..........

My personal opinion is you wont go wrong with a Night Force, and there are other options for what you are doing as well.

If you are already proficient out to 450 yards, you are heading in the right direction for LR hunting.
I am in this same boat and discovering there is a lot that goes into this once you go beyond the 600 yrd range.

But it is definitely doable if you already have good habits/forms.

OP
blackpowderhunter
I had been looking at some of those Fierce set ups..
I know not as popular of a cartridge on here but I had been leaning to go with a 300 wby. Why? Why not. Also a good friend has been reloading and hunting with his for around 12 years, and he is the one who is more or less showing me the ropes on getting into this
A mark v accumark tempts me at the moment.

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
I would choose 300 Win over Weatherby any day. More brass options, cheaper, in real world it will give the same performance. While I am 100% against BDCs for anything past 500 yards I would suggest you just by a setup from Thompson Long Range for what you want. I started in the "long range" game with a Zeiss Rapid z 800. They just are not precise enough. There is no replacement for dialing to the exact yardage when talking about ethically killing an animal past 500 yards. I am not saying the shots can not be made just that there are better ways to do it.

OP
blackpowderhunter
I never stated I was going with a bdc. The original reason for the thread was just to see what all was out there similar to the shepherd scopes. And I knew most everyone would choose win mag over weatherby. I'm not sold either way..just doing my research now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use any MOA reticle scope to range a target with, as long as you know the size of the target. You could possibly use a MIL scope the same, I'm just not familiar with MIL's. Definitely not as accurate as even a decent rangefinder.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

KurtR

WKR
You can use any MOA reticle scope to range a target with, as long as you know the size of the target. You could possibly use a MIL scope the same, I'm just not familiar with MIL's. Definitely not as accurate as even a decent rangefinder.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Mils are the same just another unit of measure.