ELD-X or ELD-M for hunting

Fireguy

WKR
I didn't want to continue to hijack the other thread I posted in so figured I'd start a new one on the ELD-X and ELD-M bullets. I was very impressed with the performance of the 143 ELD-X out of a 6.5 Creed and the 178 ELD-X out of a 308 this season on both deer and elk. Incredibly fast one shot kills. Excellent accuracy out of several rifles. In fact I didn't even bother reloading as the factory Hornady Hunter ammo shot so well. I've spoken with several experienced hunters that prefer the ELD-M bullets and have been seeing more and more online where guys are gravitating to the ELD-M's over the ELD-X's. I've pretty much completely moved away from my old standby the Nosler Accubond.

Let's hear your experiences with both and why you would choose one over the other.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The ELD-X's have done well that I've seen. So have the ELD-M's, and they have a higher BC. That's why I generally gonwith the ELD-M, but would choose whichever shoots better.

147 ELD-m is basically the same form as a 143 ELD-x. The ELD-x have an air void behind the tip to aid expansion and i believe a slightly thicker jacket below the interlock ring. The increase in lead from lack of void and less jacket material gives the 147 a higher BC. After seeing cross sections of cut ELD-x bullets showing the tiny size of the interlock ring and hearing reports of performance on game, I'm not a big believer that it helps much.

Guys have been using AMAX successfully on game for years. I wouldn't expect a big drop off in performance at sane velocities from the 147, but that is not speaking from experience. That said, i would think twice about ELD-m with really high impact velocities i.e. 178 ELD-m in a 300 mag, 140 ELDm in a 26 Nosler, etc.

JP100

WKR
Neither one is "bonded". I've yet to hear anything bad about hunting with the "M". I've killed a few with the X and been very happy with their performance.

I thought the ELD X was bonded? it holds together really well and has very constant expansion from what ive seen.

What does the ELD M do? more expansion??

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I thought the ELD X was bonded? it holds together really well and has very constant expansion from what ive seen.

What does the ELD M do? more expansion??

The ELD-X has an Interlock ring, it's not bonded. Typically you get your expansion/fragmentation with the ELD-M, however depending on the bullet they may penetrate a bit deeper also.

Hayseed97

FNG
I didn't want to continue to hijack the other thread I posted in so figured I'd start a new one on the ELD-X and ELD-M bullets. I was very impressed with the performance of the 143 ELD-X out of a 6.5 Creed and the 178 ELD-X out of a 308 this season on both deer and elk. Incredibly fast one shot kills. Excellent accuracy out of several rifles. In fact I didn't even bother reloading as the factory Hornady Hunter ammo shot so well. I've spoken with several experienced hunters that prefer the ELD-M bullets and have been seeing more and more online where guys are gravitating to the ELD-M's over the ELD-X's. I've pretty much completely moved away from my old standby the Nosler Accubond.

Let's hear your experiences with both and why you would choose one over the other.
ELD-M 225 in a 300PRC have performed poorly on several elk I have taken. Absolutely no penetration whatsoever. Whether it was a shoulder or rib, the bullets just blew up. Extremely disappointed with their lack of performance. Close range to long range, no difference. Definitely not a bullet for big game.