TMK vs. Eld-M vs. Berger Elite Hunter terminal ballistics

khuber84

WKR
I had excellent results this year with 108eh at 3050mv from a 6cm. 5/5 one shot kills from. 400-710y this season on 3 mule deer 2 Antelope. Only had one not exit, as it entered the chest as deer was facing traveled full length of abdominal cavity and came to rest under offside hide just in front of rear quarters. Nothing went further than 30y death sprint. Had similar results last year running 75eldm from an 18" 22cm at 3150fps. I'll be shooting 109eldm and 112mb next season to test them on medium sized game. The woman took to animals with her prc shooting 140hyb at 3080fps and vital damage was extreme, however lost shoulder meat due to placement being immediately in the shoulder crease and bloodshot traveling quite a bit. The animals were dead right there and didn't move however.

Lemhi

FNG
Sounds like you’ve already given up on the Berger’s with a small sample size but once you have mentally wrote something off as a failure it’s very hard (almost impossible) to overcome.

I’d look at the ELD-M 108s or 103 ELD-X if I were in your shoes.
I haven’t written them off. I plan to continue using them because I have a bunch and they shoot very consistent in that rifle. I mentioned specifically my sample size being small to be as concise as possible for anyone reading from my experience with that particular bullet.

I have shot nearly every 6mm bullet in the 105+ weight class, the 105 vld hunters always performed flawlessly for me so I simply expected the 108eh to do the same.

My personal experience with them is just that, small sample size and 50% performed as expected. If that helps somebody neat and if it doesn’t that is just fine too.

doepatrol

FNG
I think that is the biggest thing people forget when complaining about no blood trails. You need something forcing stuff out of the body to do that.
Gravity and a large exit= blood trail. Don't need a heart or lungs for it to fall out of the animal. Once the ribs are popped it allows for a pressure gradient to occur, kinda like a gas can with a breather that allows the spout to flow smoother. Sucking chest wounds and/or any hole in the ribs will allow something to flow

Did you check the tips to see if they were clogged?
This would not make any difference
The way Bergers expand is the nose section collapses inward, not opening outwards the way a traditional hollow point with a large opening does

The way Bergers expand is the nose section collapses inward, not opening outwards the way a traditional hollow point with a large opening does
Can it collapse inward if the nose is clogged?

TxLite

WKR
I haven’t killed enough animals with bergers to dispute this, but everything I’ve read says you get inconsistent results when you aren’t checking the tips

180ls1

WKR
I could yes but I probably won’t. I’m a 6mm nerd I shoot 6mm rem, 243, 6creed, 6-GT, 6PRC. In my limited experience the Bergers as shipped just don’t perform like I expected when’ other bullets have. Again this is strictly 6mm related as the Bergers in 7mm and 30 cal have been flawless for me.

I'm just musing but if jacket thickness remains constant than increase/decrease in frontal area should effect expansion. I am not surprised the larger cals open up better/reliably.

eoperator

WKR
Can it collapse inward if the nose is clogged?
I haven’t killed enough animals with bergers to dispute this, but everything I’ve read says you get inconsistent results when you aren’t checking the tips
I have caught several berger tips like this in gel. Looks to me like they yaw sideways and the front ~1/3 tears off. I'm geussing the bergers with a larger air gap in the tip would upset easier.

1000001262.jpg1000001263.jpg

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a few goats and deer with the 160tmk in my 7mmcreed, longest shots were 2 goats at 725meters.
One was bang, flop other walked about 5 meters then dropped.

I've also shot plenty of goat and fallow with the 162gr Amax/ eld-m in my 7mm08.
Longest shot was a goat at 602meters and a red stag at 430ish meters.

doepatrol

FNG
I think this is more of the case with those examples like the 195s that are pointed. With a significant amount of copper in the tips they do tend to penetrate more than those with more open tips. I personally haven't had issues with bergers not functioning but have with SMKs.