CO unit 61

Pwill

Lil-Rokslider
I'm taking my 67 year old dad and 70 year old uncle on a mule deer hunt unit 61, they should both draw and will probably hunt 2nd or 3rd rifle. Dad has 16 points and uncle has 13. Now to the question, does anyone know a good outfitter or experienced hunter in the area that could do some scouting for us and have some deer located for us when we show up. I have never hunted the area and my uncle Hasn't hunted it in the last 10 years. We will pay, please pm me if you have any suggestions.

Thanks guys.

Paul

I'm not a huge guided hunt guy, but at their age and how many points they have, I may hire someone for the full deal.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
I cant give him a personal endorsement but I have only heard good things about Rick Webb and Dark Timber Lodge Outfitters.

Kramer

FNG
I sent you a pm. I hunted 61 2 years ago. Was a good hunt but quality was down. I hunted second season. If it were me I would go for third season. The bucks had so much pressure from all the elk hunters and previous archery season that they were in the thick nasty stuff transitioning down to the sage . It made it tuff to hunt plus the weather was hot. I have tons of info on good spots and stuff if you want. .

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I cant give him a personal endorsement but I have only heard good things about Rick Webb and Dark Timber Lodge Outfitters.

My brother paid a $500 deposit with Dark Timber to reserve a spot for an archery elk hunt in 61 about 4-5 years ago. He was always one point behind, typical point creep scenario....two years ago he called to talk to him about the hunt and his deposit and he was told he wasn't honoring the deposit and wouldn't pay back the $500!! Had a contract along with the deposit. This is all I know about Dark Timber, but that's dishonest to say the least.

OP
P

Pwill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys. Good to know about Dark Timber.

Paul

Akicita

WKR
My brother paid a $500 deposit with Dark Timber to reserve a spot for an archery elk hunt in 61 about 4-5 years ago. He was always one point behind, typical point creep scenario....two years ago he called to talk to him about the hunt and his deposit and he was told he wasn't honoring the deposit and wouldn't pay back the $500!! Had a contract along with the deposit. This is all I know about Dark Timber, but that's dishonest to say the least.

I sent him an email and have not received a reply. . . For the time being I will reserve any judgement or referrals until I hear from him.

Thanks for the info - Akicita

My dad and I hunted with the Garvey Brothers in unit 61 a few years ago. It was an elk hunt but I highly recommend them. Really solid guys. Check out their website.

brettpsu

Lil-Rokslider
Never was guided by Garvey Bros but have stayed in their camp and hunted 62 a few times. I have nothing but positive things to say about Stan, Joe and Dustin Garvey. Pretty sure they went 40 for 40 on elk hunts this year! Bad part is deer quality and quantity are down in 61 right now.

Me and my dad drew a tag for 61 this year, we got drawn back in 2009 and hunted the Plateau somewhere off divide road. We saw monster elk but not to many big deer in that area. Any pointers on where to hunt this year and what areas to avoid. Thank you I look forward to reading your comments.

I sent you a pm. I hunted 61 2 years ago. Was a good hunt but quality was down. I hunted second season. If it were me I would go for third season. The bucks had so much pressure from all the elk hunters and previous archery season that they were in the thick nasty stuff transitioning down to the sage . It made it tuff to hunt plus the weather was hot. I have tons of info on good spots and stuff if you want. .

Hello,
I am hunting 61 this year 2nd rifle for mule deer. I was wondering if you had any info on areas to start looking for nice bucks. I hunted this unit in 2009 but more on the northern part and did not see many bucks. They were probably in the thick. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.